Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blocking up unwanted vent

• 10-12-2018 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I have had a new vent put in and want to block up the old one, any ideas on a quick fix?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I have had a new vent put in and want to block up the old one, any ideas on a quick fix?

As in a 4 inch round vent in a wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Yes, that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Yes, that's it.

Quick fix would be removed the inner cover and stuff the hole with Rockwool or similar insulation. Or I would cover with tape or similar both sides of the hole and fill with expanding foam, remove the tape and put the covers back on. (EXPANDING FOAM IS MESSY STUFF BE CAREFUL IF USING INDOORS )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

You had a new vent put in? Very interesting.

I'd recommend leaving the original vent intact. Ventilation is very important for both the health of occupants and building itself.

I won't give you any advice as how to block up a vent.

Should you follow through with your plans, in a few weeks time expect to be complaining about mould and damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

There is no need for 2 vents in this particular room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

riemann wrote: »
    You had a new vent put in? Very interesting.

I'd recommend leaving the original vent intact. Ventilation is very important for both the health of occupants and building itself.

I won't give you any advice as how to block up a vent.

Should you follow through with your plans, in a few weeks time expect to be complaining about mould and damp.

I'm sure he/she wouldn't take advice from someone who couldn't read a one line question properly anyway. LOL ;):D

There is no need for 2 vents in this particular room.

Interesting how you came to this conclusion.

Unusual for a builder abiding by building regs to add additional unnecessary vents.

What isn't unusual is the unapproved blocking up of vents.

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm sure he/she wouldn't take advice from someone who couldn't read a one line question properly anyway. LOL ;):D

Yes, one who is involved in the practice of blocking up vents may not be inclined to take any advice contrary to their own opinion.

Advertisement