Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin City Bus Service Improvements from 2nd December

• 02-12-2018 12:19pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The following changes take place from today, 2nd December 2018

SERVICES SWITCHING TO GO AHEAD IRELAND
    Route 17A: Kilbarrack – Beaumount Hospital – Ballymun – Finglas – Blanchardstown
    - Regular 20-minute frequency all day, every day but increasing to every 15 minutes during Monday to Friday peak periods
    - Every 30 minutes early on Saturday and Sunday mornings and during Sunday evenings

Route 33A: Balbriggan – Skerries – Swords – Dublin Airport
    - Co-ordinated with Dublin Bus route 33 to provide a regular 30-minute frequency between Skerries, Rush, Lusk and Swords.
    - Route 33 will continue south of Swords to provide direct services to destinations along Swords Road and Drumcondra Road to the city centre.
    - Route 33A is extended from Skerries to Balbriggan every 90 minutes.
    - Route 33A is newly extended from Skerries, Rush, Lusk and Swords direct to Dublin Airport every 90 minutes.

Route 33B: Portrane – Donabate – Swords
    - Daytime frequency enhanced to operate every 30 minutes. More journeys connect with trains from Donabate Station.

Route 102: Sutton – Malahide – Swords – Dublin Airport
    - Regular 30 minutes frequency all day, every day

All existing Dublin Bus tickets, free travel passes and Leap Cards will be accepted on all Go-Ahead services, and the fare structure will remain the same as it currently is with Dublin Bus.

Real Time information will be shown on the TFI Real Time Ireland Application and the TFI Journey Planner. Please see www.transportforireland.ie for more details on these apps and how to download.

DUBLIN BUS ROUTE IMPROVEMENTS
    NEW Route 40e – Tyrellstown to Broombridge Luas via West Finglas
    - Monday to Friday – Services to commence at 0537 from Tyrellstown and operate every 30 minutes all day and evening with a last bus from Broombridge Luas at 2330.
    - Saturday – Services to commence at 0640 from Tyrellstown and operate every 30 minutes early morning, every 40 minutes daytime and hourly in the evening with a last bus from Broombridge at 2330.
    - Sunday – Services to commence at 0715 from Tyrellstown and operate every 30 minutes early morning, every 50 minutes with a last bus from Broombridge at 2330.

Route 16 – From Dublin Airport
    - Monday to Friday – Services to commence earlier at 0600 from Dublin Airport and 0530 from Ballinteer. Full 10 minute morning peak service to operate additionally from Dublin Airport. Evening service frequency improved from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes.
    - Saturday – Services to commence earlier at 0600 from Dublin Airport and 0530 from Ballinteer. Daytime frequency improved from every 15 minutes to every 12 minutes after 0900. Evening frequency improved from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes.
    - Sunday – Services to commence earlier at 0800 from Dublin Airport and 0730 from Ballinteer. Daytime frequency improved from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes. Evening frequency improved from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes.

Route 33 – Swords to city centre
    - Will continue south of Swords to provide direct services to destinations along Swords Road and Drumcondra Road to the city centre.
    - Greater combined frequency with route 33A between Skerries, Rush, Lusk and Swords.

Route 4 – Harristown to Monkstown via Ballymun Road, City Centre and Ballsbridge
    - Monday to Friday – Daytime frequency improved from every 15 minutes to every 12 minutes. Evening frequency improved from every 30 minutes to every 20 minutes.
    - Saturday – Services to commence earlier at 0600. Daytime frequency doubled from every 30 minute to every 15 minutes. Evening frequency improved from every 30 minutes to every 20 minutes.
    - Sunday – Services to commence earlier at 0800. Daytime frequency increased from hourly to every 15 minutes. Evening frequency doubled from hourly to every 30 minutes.

Route 83 – Harristown to Kimmage via Glasnevin, Phibsboro and City Centre
    - Saturday – Evening frequency improved from every 30 minutes to every 20 minutes.
    - Sunday – Morning service frequency improved from every 30 minutes to every 20 minutes. Daytime frequency improved from every 20 minutes to every 15 minutes. Evening frequency improved from every 30 minutes to every 20 minutes.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It wouldn’t be ireland without a politician there to take credit for the opening of an envelope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

devnull wrote: »

You'd think they would've used a newer bus for the photo opportunity.

I know, I know... the spotters will be along in a minute to tell me that the ancient buses are the best ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

DUBLIN BUS ROUTE IMPROVEMENTS[/QUOTE]

33 services have been reduced. People travelling north from city centre have a poor frequency compared to the old timetable. Not a single departure for an hour between 6 and 7am (06:00 to 06:59 precisely) which is not a an improvement.

Less frequency after new buses coming available is a strange move, far less direct options between city and Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Wow a 50 minute frequency. With this bus service you are really spoiling us NTA

• Advertisement

33 services have been reduced. People travelling north from city centre have a poor frequency compared to the old timetable. Not a single departure for an hour between 6 and 7am (06:00 to 06:59 precisely) which is not a an improvement.

Less frequency after new buses coming available is a strange move, far less direct options between city and Swords.

Realistically though, how many people are traveling by bus from the City Centre to Lusk, Skerries, Balbriggan and Rush that early in the morning? Anyone I know who does that trip takes the train, which takes half the time of the bus.

Those going to Swords do have other options.

Realistically though, how many people are traveling by bus from the City Centre to Lusk, Skerries, Balbriggan and Rush that early in the morning? Anyone I know who does that trip takes the train, which takes half the time of the bus.

Enough to warrant the old timetable. Not even asking for extra frequency here, the early morning 33's were reasonably direct to Swords and far quicker than the 41 and 41C for example.

I acknowledge the improved service in Fingal but it doesn't need to compromise the city to Swords portion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭john boye

I know, I know... the spotters will be along in a minute to tell me that the ancient buses are the best ones...

Doubt it was arranged with the company, I'd say that pic was all him. They don't miss a trick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

The 6:40 and 6:50 would be pretty much full of farmers going to the farms in Lusk from the city centre. 7:30 is hit and miss on loads depending who gets in front first, 41 to Swords Business Park or the 33 but generally, the loads would be at minimum 50% every morning without fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

dfx- wrote: »
    They are...

As far as the average commuter is concerned, a clean new bus with USB ports on the back of every seat is vastly preferable to a well-worn twelve-year-old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Or the Fingal Express or 33x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As far as the average commuter is concerned, a clean new bus with USB ports on the back of every seat is vastly preferable to a well-worn twelve-year-old one.

As far as the average commuter is concerned, a bus that arrives as scheduled and has capacity to let them on is vastly preferable to toys like USB ports on the back of every seat.

(but yes the ALX400 model is far better than those that have replaced it)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As far as the average commuter is concerned, a bus that arrives as scheduled and has capacity to let them on is vastly preferable to toys like USB ports on the back of every seat.

When we have a flat fare as far as the average commuter is concerned, a bus with two doors and that spends 3-4 minutes letting passengers on and off on their 45 minute commute, is vastly preferable to spending 15 minutes letting people on and off on the same journey on a single door bus that takes almost an hour.

It would also lead to higher frequency with the same amount of resources, since buses could complete laps quicker, meaning that it would also reduce costs and potentially have a positive impact on fares.

Why is there no branding on the bus stop in that picture blank where the NTA branding and route numbers serving the stop should be.

Sure they'll probably think the SGs are the bees knees in 10 years when they are starting to withdrawn and a new class of bus is on the road. They used to love the RVs and hate the AV/AXs when they were new but now they love them.

A bus is a bus at the end of the day. They all generally rattle a bit although some more than others especially the EVs and some of the older SGs I find the 2014 and 2015 SGs quite rattly but the 2016, 2017 and 2018 ones less so.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Or the Fingal Express or 33x

The express buses don't travel city to Swords in the morning though.

Plenty of customers travel from Drumcondra/Santry to Swords/Turvey area which has logistics parks and sources of employment. Reduced quality for these commuters could turn many away from PT into cars, for the sake of one or two buses per hour.

This seems minor but it's a nuance that is not picked up by load factors or quantity of end to end commuters.

I'll see how 41 plus 33A goes. Could add over 30 minutes to a direct commute. 41 lap of the airport and a 33A connection also :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

AngryLips wrote: »
    It wouldn’t be ireland without a politician there to take credit for the opening of an envelope

I use these moments as an oppurtunity to select the ones i wont be voting for..theres a particular counciller out our way who would turn up to the opening of a envelope if she can claim credit for it..cant be getting much actual work done then is the way i see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

These are the buses which previously operated the 17a and 33b, they’re now spare and need to go somewhere. The NTA prioritise the newer dual door buses for cross city routes. They may not be as swish in appearance as the SG model buses but the ALX400 are a solid bus.

The 40E got off to a good start with a handful of Broombridge bound passengers making the first trip this morning - a good sign for a new route on an early Sunday morning. The timings with the Luas were seamless with the first tram arriving 5 minutes before departure time for the 40E. The buses seemed to have a lot of time to complete the journey and had a long layover at the terminus.

Some analysis on the new routes and some photos of first day of service here:
    http://dublinbusstuff.com/PhotoWeek/GoAhead.html#NorthDublin

• Advertisement

KD345 wrote: »
    These are the buses which previously operated the 17a and 33b, they’re now spare and need to go somewhere. The NTA prioritise the newer dual door buses for cross city routes. They may not be as swish in appearance as the SG model buses but the ALX400 are a solid bus.

I know but I'm surprised they didn't roll out a 181 or a 182 SG for a photo op on the first day. I believe there was a GT on it aswell today. It's not uncommon for older buses to remain at the depot at the weekends when full capacity isn't needed.
    The 40E got off to a good start with a handful of Broombridge bound passengers making the first trip this morning - a good sign for a new route on an early Sunday morning. The timings with the Luas were seamless with the first tram arriving 5 minutes before departure time for the 40E. The buses seemed to have a lot of time to complete the journey and had a long layover at the terminus.

Good to here I think it was a wise decision to run it to Tyrellstown and not just Finglas as it gives an extra public transport option to Tyrellstown which has fairly limited public transport option although I think it may be a good idea to interwork it with the 40d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭john boye

Surprised to see the 83 getting a frequency increase. It always appears to be quite light when I see it but I only see the southern end of it, is the North leg of it particularly busy?

Good to here I think it was a wise decision to run it to Tyrellstown and not just Finglas as it gives an extra public transport option to Tyrellstown which has fairly limited public transport option although I think it may be a good idea to interwork it with the 40d.

If you look at the timetable for the 40D and 40E side by side they have been planned very well. The departures are evenly spaced to give a combined 15 minute frequency.

The icing on this cake would be for the one fare 90 minute Leap ticket to be introduced to make the onward 40E journey better with Luas.

If you look at the timetable for the 40D and 40E side by side they have been planned very well. The departures are evenly spaced to give a combined 15 minute frequency.

The icing on this cake would be for the one fare 90 minute Leap ticket to be introduced to make the onward 40E journey better with Luas.

I didn't know actually know that. It would have been nice if the NTA did out an interworked timetable appearing with the two routes appearing on the same page like they did for the 33 and 33a.

I didn't know actually know that. It would have been nice if the NTA did out an interworked timetable appearing with the two routes appearing on the same page like they did for the 33 and 33a.

That would be helpful for Tyrrelstown but beyond that they are very different routes so a combined timetable may be messy in appearance. It will be interesting to see what type of frequency will be introduced with the 238 changes here next month, but these changes have proved really positive for Tyrrelstown, an area which for years has had a patchy service with the 38C before getting the 238 and 40D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Some analysis on the new routes and some photos of first day of service here:
    http://dublinbusstuff.com/PhotoWeek/GoAhead.html#NorthDublin

Still don't like that livery. Looks like a mash of 2/3 ideas thrown together in a hurry. At the very least the stripes on the side near the back could have been in the same direction as the front.

Fair play to GA proactively dealing with a bus failure on the 33A though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Tyrrelstown, an area which for years has had a patchy service with the 38C before getting the 238 and 40D.

Tyrellstown actually previously had three routes. The 38C, 40D and 236 all served that area at the same time before the most recent changes.

Tyrellstown actually previously had three routes. The 38C, 40D and 236 all served that area at the same time before the most recent changes.

The 236 still runs but only 3 times a day in either direction. It's due to move to Go-Ahead in January so it may get an increased frequency.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Still don't like that livery. Looks like a mash of 2/3 ideas thrown together in a hurry. At the very least the stripes on the side near the back could have been in the same direction as the front.

Fair play to GA proactively dealing with a bus failure on the 33A though.

The yellow was a last minute addition it originally meant to be all blue with the two stripes and I thought it looked quite smart without the yellow. It's ok it's not much better or worse than the current DB livery in my opinion.

• Advertisement

236 and 38C were very sporadic services though, truth be told.

Advertisement