Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting fitness back after break

• 20-11-2018 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I'm sure this topic must be relevant to many of you. I did ironman barcelona back at the start of October. Took a break until now from the training to give me as much a mental break, as a physical one.

Went for a 5k run tonight. Legs felt fine but cardio had gone to pot. Just curious if it's a case of you regain fitness relatively quickly, or is it like starting from scratch again?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hate to tell you but once you lose it you can nveer get it back, never, the body is incapable of regaining fitness a second time ever..

seriously, it'll come back quickly, first few runs will be muck, you'll start to hit your groove again then. bit to remember is you are likely a bit heavier now as well so will affect the running

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

mossym wrote: »
    hate to tell you but once you lose it you can nveer get it back, never, the body is incapable of regaining fitness a second time ever..

seriously, it'll come back quickly, first few runs will be muck, you'll start to hit your groove again then. bit to remember is you are likely a bit heavier now as well so will affect the running

That was kind of my thinking and what I was hoping. Wouldn't like to see all my training from the last year undone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

I can tell you for certain DM that it does come back, believe me I should know! After years of no activity I could not believe how quickly I got back to decent shape. Some things that helped:

1) losing weight before I started back through clean eating this may not apply to you but I ballooned to 105kg and running/biking was a nightmare. I lost 10kg and it made things so much easier (78kg now)
    2) let the no. 1 goal for the first 3-4 weeks be re-establishing a routine
    3) Make it easy/enjoyable. For me this meant starting with 15 min walk/runs and allowing myself use buoyancy shorts for my swims...anything just to get yourself out or to the pool. I also found a mate or two that were happy to bike run with me - they were happy to do a recovery session.
    4) don't be hard on yourself, just take one day at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

I can tell you for certain DM that it does come back, believe me I should know! After years of no activity I could not believe how quickly I got back to decent shape. Some things that helped:

1) losing weight before I started back through clean eating this may not apply to you but I ballooned to 105kg and running/biking was a nightmare. I lost 10kg and it made things so much easier (78kg now)
    2) let the no. 1 goal for the first 3-4 weeks be re-establishing a routine
    3) Make it easy/enjoyable. For me this meant starting with 15 min walk/runs and allowing myself use buoyancy shorts for my swims...anything just to get yourself out or to the pool. I also found a mate or two that were happy to bike run with me - they were happy to do a recovery session.
    4) don't be hard on yourself, just take one day at a time.

I'd like to add...

5) we all have an ego, ignore it/leave it at home. I used to get very down about where I used to be and where I am now, constantly comparing myself to my former self or even others. It is detrimental. I had to accept where I was right now, I wasn't used to people passing me out on my runs/jogs but once I let go (and it was that simple) and changed my mindset I was so much happier and therefore did not mind being so slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

Im in a similar situation my Vo2 max has gone from 54 to 49! I never really stopped but hoping it comes back as I get back into a heavier load! I looked at my strava and was averaging 4-5 hours per week but in the peak I was at 11! Guessing thats why its dropped! But I hate garmin and its fitness status! 'unproductive' ARGHHH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

S_D wrote: »
    Im in a similar situation my Vo2 max has gone from 54 to 49! I never really stopped but hoping it comes back as I get back into a heavier load! I looked at my strava and was averaging 4-5 hours per week but in the peak I was at 11! Guessing thats why its dropped! But I hate garmin and its fitness status! 'unproductive' ARGHHH

Yes that feature of the Garmin does give your ass a kicking! Well I've been tipping away at weights sessions the last couple of weeks so the cardio routine is going to be restarted from today. Will let ye know how it's going!

Advertisement