Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CVRT. paying twice for the same job?

Options
  • 03-11-2018 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

My landrover failed the CVRT because the rear crossmember had lots of tin worm.
    That's fair enough I have been covering it up for a few years, so I knew the time would come anyway.
    I replaced the crossmember (lots of work and cost ) and its ready to go for a retest. but first I have to get an engineers report to say its good at a cost of 150 euro. Then I can pay the CVRT to agree he is right (110 euro I think because the 21 days is up)
    What is the point of the CVRT if I have to bring it to an engineer anyway are they not qualified to say that it is road worthy ?
    Hopefully someone here can explain it.
    I cant understand why ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Liability.................................CVRT center will be absolved of any liability once certified by a bonded automotive engineer.......................................

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

The automotive engineer is to certify that the chassis repair has been complete in a safe and correct manner. The CVRT tester just needs to certify that the chassis is now in a roadworthy condition.

An automotive engineer cant sign off on a CVR Test, and a CVR tester is not an automotive engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Also not the cvrt centers fault that you didn't get it repaired within the 21 days..if you knew the crossmember was rotten and you simply covered it up well point being how long is a piece of string..people mean but its people with your ethos that actually gives the testing centers a bad name and definitely makes the roads more dangerous for other road users

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

O.A.P wrote: »
    My landrover failed the CVRT because the rear crossmember had lots of tin worm.
    That's fair enough I have been covering it up for a few years, so I knew the time would come anyway.......,..

Do they not use ultrasonic metal thickness meters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

No they don't use any ultrasonic metal thickness meters. It's all visual and where theres clearly a rust patch they usually give it a few pokes with a bar if a hole can be made due to the rust / lack of metal well then they spray the area with a coloured paint to highlight the failed portion..

• Advertisement
Advertisement