Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea To Summit

Options
  • 27-05-2018 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Signed up for my first adventure race in November of this year, the spirit (30km) in Westport for the Sea to Summit.

Could anybody give me any kind of advice about how one goes about training for these kind of races? I’m reasonably fit when it comes to running, run sub 50 minute for 10k. I don’t cycle and have booked a bike for a day of race. Was planning on hitting spinning bikes in the gym in the run up to race. Also planning on doing a couple of runs up the Dublin Moutain / sugarloaf in the weeks before. Would this preparation be sufficient enough, any advice gladly welcome.

Secondly, what kind of food / liquid would you bring when doing one of these races?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

The biggest stumbling block on Sea to Summit is the Croagh Patrick climb. Everything else is relatively flat. Get used to transitioning from bike to run and vice versa and do some good mountain runs beforehand and you should be ok. Getting on the bike after the fast descent from the mountain will be harder on your legs that you would expect.
    It is one of the few ARs with designated bike racks per competitor so it's easy leave a bit of food/water at your transition if you want. Whatever you do choose to use make sure you've tried it beforehand. I usually just have some type of energy bar and a banana at transition

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭shanye

What kind of shoes
    are you going to use on Croagh Patrick I have been looking at Solomon trail runners

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jonny-b-

In terms of shoes for the spirit event I would recommend trail shoes and toe clips on the bike.
    In 2016 I used runners and cycling shoes and its a hassle carrying runners to the transition at Croagh Patrick and back.
    Last year I used trail shoes and toe clips and found it saved a lot of time.
    With the trail shoes I felt more in control on the decent also :D

Last year I used Inov8 Mudclaws cos I was descending down the muddy part. In reality any trail shoe will do for the ascent as it is rocky and slow. IMO shoe choice is more critical for the descent. If you are going to run down the path I would suggest something that deals with rocks a little better or if you are coming down the sheep paths something like the Mudclaws or the Salomons as suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hey guys,

For the Croagh Patrick ascent...do people generally run it or hike / fast walk? I climbed it recently and have to say I cant imagine running up the last section of it very well :-( (or indeed other sections!).

I'm entered in the beginner phase (having done some triathlons and distance running / cycling) but just wondered if everyone glides up the reek as I reckon I could be left behind :-))

• Advertisement

It's mostly a mix of running, walking and stopping to look up to see if you're nearly there yet. Run what you can, walk the rest of it. You won't be left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

I tend to run/hike for 15 mins, then stop turn around and admire the view for 30 seconds - giving the quads a rest - then crack on again. On the way down its as fast as you dare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

there will be a very small number of the top guys thatl be running some parts of it on the way up, maybe 50% of it .. the other 90% of us will be running small bits and hiking most of it..

woody1 wrote: »
    there will be a very small number of the top guys thatl be running some parts of it on the way up, maybe 50% of it .. the other 90% of us will be running small bits and hiking most of it..

Thanks for the replies guys...I'm a lot less nervous now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Walking can often be the most efficient method of progress too. It's mentally difficult to walk if you are a "runner" as it feels like failure. But I've done a fair few mountain races and I tend to walk the steeper stuff while guys around me bust a gut trying to maintain a jog/run only for them pull out a few metres of a gap on me but be out of breath when the terrain levels out leaving me to steam past them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I've done S2S a few times and always just take a solid steady walk up. Others will pass me out and then end up having to stop and catch their breath, I pass them out, etc. unless your the mountain goat type person who just flies over the rocks, solid walk wins the race in my book. Enjoy. Its been one of the best adventure races/tris I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

How’s everyone’s training going? 5 weeks to go!

getting plenty of cycling done, havent been near the reek at all this year, normally i wouldve been once or twice by now.. not getting enough running done at all..

did wild 2 wild in newport and the running part was the toughest for me, and thats not normally the case

when you think about it, running is where youl gain or lose the most time.. but i just havent been getting much done.. so the plan for the next few weeks is to run a bit more and hoepfully get up to westport once at least and climb croagh patrick..

might get to do curranne challenge at the weekend if things work out ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lavinm

hopefully someone here can help with the transitions part [totally new to these types of races].  Just wondering whats the best way to wear cycling shoes and have running shoes for the croagh patrick portion - separate transitions. Can I leave a bagpack with running shoes with my bike and then just switch at the foot of Croagh Patrick.

yeah ive seen that done, seen them put in bottle cages, bungeed around frames , ive put them on tri bars before ..
    presume your doing the long race.. if not id go with runners all the way and change the pedals on your bike to a cheap set of flat pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I’ll be doing it again this year. Will probably swap pedals for old style toe clips and wear trail shoes for entire race.

I will also keep the cycle helmet on for the Croagh Patrick run, it gives me a little extra confidence in the downhill and makes sense for safety too.

First time to do this event. Absolutely loved it. Blessed with the weather. Such a great atmosphere around Westport all weekend. The first run went well, the first cycle great, the climb and descent went great but them Boom ! Nothing had prepared me for the Maum !! It hurt bad :-) Stopped caring about speed or time at that stage and decided to concentrate on making it back to base. Once we got back onto the main road the pace and interest picked up again and the last run took a bit of a toll also but the atmosphere coming down off the greenway and heading to the finish line was amazing.

Great spread afterwards and a great evening later on. Will definitely be back next year. Either for a good crack at the spirit event or a lot better prepared for the Maum :-)

well done, took on the shorter race again, 6th time, wasnt too far off my best time but i just didnt have enough ( any ) practice on the mountain and lost a lot of time there... good weekend as always, probably the best weather we have had for it .. that last run back to the finish is always tough, no matter what shape your in..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sorefeet

Hi.. If anyone has an entry they can't use, I would be grateful if they would let me known please.. Tks

Advertisement