Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private detectives in Ireland - 19th century

Options
  • 24-05-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of 'Private Detectives', or 'Private Inquiry Agents', operating in Ireland (particularly Dublin) in 19th century or early 20th century? There were some in London from mid-19th century, but I can't find anything about Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You need to do a keyword/phrase search in Irish newspaper archives appropriate to the period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

There are a couple of people listed as enquiry agents in the censuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I signed up to the Irish Times to get access to their archives, and with just a quick search I found mention of an English private detective involved in some court case in Dublin. I think he was booted off the police force in London for something or other. I'll have to get back to it and give it more time.

Advertisement