Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American looking for a physics job in Ireland

Options
  • 18-05-2018 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone!
    I am a United States citizen who recently graduated with a doctoral degree in physics. I want to get a job in Ireland, preferably in the field of physics, but I would be happy with any field I could get, really. I don't have any preference for location; just being in Ireland is enough. I understand there are some obstacles to get through, such as an employment permit, which I cannot obtain until I already have a perspective employer. If it wasn't for that, I'd have already been there looking for work in person. Can anyone provide advice, or know any employers in need of a young physicist? (Also, if it makes any difference, I have taken 4 semester courses of Gaeilge while attending university. I am not quite fluent, but I would like to be!)
    -Aaron

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aeolian wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    I am a United States citizen who recently graduated with a doctoral degree in physics. I want to get a job in Ireland, preferably in the field of physics, but I would be happy with any field I could get, really. I don't have any preference for location; just being in Ireland is enough. I understand there are some obstacles to get through, such as an employment permit, which I cannot obtain until I already have a perspective employer. If it wasn't for that, I'd have already been there looking for work in person. Can anyone provide advice, or know any employers in need of a young physicist? (Also, if it makes any difference, I have taken 4 semester courses of Gaeilge while attending university. I am not quite fluent, but I would like to be!)
    -Aaron

Try get a post-doc in NUI Galway, live in Connemara and commute to work. Covers all your based.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

https://www.universityvacancies.com

If you want to do a post doc, if you want to work in industry.. Well that depends on what your skills are, but Ireland has plenty of companies for physics phds, Intel, analog devices, western digital, quantitative analysts with insurance companies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

IT, electronics, utilities and financial / business services are the fields that come to mind. http://www.top1000.ie/companies

Advertisement