Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship Qualifiers

Options
  • 09-04-2018 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭

Ken gets Josh Boileau in Round 1. Winner would get Mark King or Gerard Greene.
    Fergal has 17 year old Yaun Sijun.
    Starts Wednesday on the Eurosport player.

Matches to look out for in the first round this week include:
    Five-time ranking event winner Stephen Maguire v Allan Taylor
    Snooker legend Jimmy White v Sam Craigie
    11-time women’s World Champion Reanne Evans v Dominic Dale
    Current women’s world number one Ng On Yee v Matthew Selt
    Up and coming Chinese ace Yan Bingtao v Jackson Page
    Ryan Day v Brazil’s Igor Figueiredo
    Former World Champion Peter Ebdon v Thai ace James Wattana

http://www.worldsnooker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Click-here-for-the-draw.pdf

The top 16 seeds at the Crucible will be:

1. Mark Selby
    2. Ronnie O’Sullivan
    3. Ding Junhui
    4. Judd Trump
    5. John Higgins
    6. Barry Hawkins
    7. Mark Williams
    8. Shaun Murphy
    9. Kyren Wilson
    10. Neil Robertson
    11. Marco Fu
    12. Stuart Bingham
    13. Luca Brecel
    14. Anthony McGill
    15. Ali Carter
    16. Mark Allen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Looking forward to this. For all my slagging of Barry Hearn, the upgrade of the world qualifiers to a mini tournament in itself was a stroke of genius. Lot on the line for some of these guys here.

Terrible shame to see most of the Irish lads lumped into same section together. Would have to fancy Fergal there, still playing to a decent level and has what it takes to oust Matt Stevens and rack up another Crucible experience.

Also hoping for a change of luck for Hossein Vavaei who should have beaten Tom Ford here last year but lack of experience let him down. Probably have to fancy Maguire to escape from that section but would be a good match up all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not a lot of standout games so far.

Amongst the notables.
    Jimmy is 5-4 on Sam Craigie after session 1, finishes tonight.
    Rheanna Evans giving Dominic Dale a good game, 7-5 for Dale at the moment.
    Joe Swail has a 5-4 lead on Ricky Walden, would be quite a scalp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Liang Wenbo makes a 147 v Rod Lawler

Misses the last black for a second 147 in the same match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS0p_CQOTCMBE]bF86h6cuWx8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Not a lot of standout games so far.

Amongst the notables.
    Jimmy is 5-4 on Sam Craigie after session 1, finishes tonight.
    Rheanna Evans giving Dominic Dale a good game, 7-5 for Dale at the moment.
    Joe Swail has a 5-4 lead on Ricky Walden, would be quite a scalp.

Jimmy won 10-6, Dale 10-7, Walden 10-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Ken Doherty seems to be playing well today, 5-1 up. I think he could be meeting Gerard Greene in the next round. He was always a bogey player for him. Hard to see any of the Irish lads making the Crucible.

• Advertisement

Glenman wrote: »
    Ken Doherty seems to be playing well today, 5-1 up. I think he could be meeting Gerard Greene in the next round. He was always a bogey player for him. Hard to see any of the Irish lads making the Crucible.

He's behind early but I'd still give Fergal a very good chance of making it again. Been playing well enough of late so anyone that gets by him will know they've been in a battle.

And.....Fergal loses 2 frames in the blink of an eye. 3-6 down, put the mockers on him. Not a guy I'd ever write off too quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The women not really competative when the number one player is out in the first round 10-1.

Tough for Jimmy next match is Joe Perry. You'd expect Ken will have Mark King in the end.

Reanne Evans always looks so much a better player, I can never figure out how Ng On Yee beats her. Would be good to see some improving female players but at the same time there are few enough really good young male players around at the moment.

See my jinx on Fergal did its worst. No crucible for the world record breaker this year sadly.

Joe Perry beat Jimmy White 10-5

• Advertisement

Doherty won all 5 frames tonight to get past Greene to qualify for the final round where he will play either Stevens or Sijun. It would be some achievement for him to qualify.

Would be nice to see Ken there. Probably got a bit lucky that King got beaten but that’s the game. Likely face the Chinese kid next, never seen him play but seems like he’s got a bit of game. Still think I’d just about rather face him than Stevens.

Spoke too soon. Stevens it’s going to be. No harm anyway, better the devil you know perhaps.

Yan Bingtao got chinned 10-9. Willie Thorne was in the studio one night when he was playing Ronnie, lost 4-3. He was asked what he thought of the 17 year old from China, he just burst out laughing. Think he's right too, looks about 25

I remember at the Welsh Open last year they were introducing this 15 year old wunderkid Jackson Page and then this pudgy fella with a full grown beard walks into the arena. Maybe they’re feeding them too many school dinners these days...

It will be Ken versus Mathew Stevens for a place in the Crucible. Tough match. Brings me back to that masters final when Ken missed the black for the 147.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I see they've scrapped season tickets as of next year, and are having an in-person pre-sale at the Crucible on the final Sunday limited to 1/3 of available tickets. Was hoping to get VIP tickets to one of the Final days next year as it coincides with me turning a certain age.

zuutroy wrote: »
    I see they've scrapped season tickets as of next year, and are having an in-person pre-sale at the Crucible on the final Sunday limited to 1/3 of available tickets. Was hoping to get VIP tickets to one of the Final days next year as it coincides with me turning a certain age.

Hearn got his victory at last. I'm not Coventry man's biggest fan, but it will feel a bit strange not seeing the old regulars there all the same. Got a good run out of it while it lasted to be fair to them.

Ken 6-1 down now:(.

RTE streaming the feed now (which switches between matches) here:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/snooker/2018/0417/955150-watch-ken-dohertys-world-championships-qualifier/

Watching Hossein Vafaei, a young player I really rate, playing kamikaze snooker against Stephen Maguire and not giving himself a chance, dunno what's up with that, head can't be in the right place. A bit sad to see.

What happened Liang Wenbo? Fancied him to beat Jamie Jones, but he won't. 9-0 down

• Advertisement

So that is Ken gone 10-2

What happened Liang Wenbo? Fancied him to beat Jamie Jones, but he won't. 9-0 down

Dunno. From a missed black away from 2 147s to a potential 0-10 whitewash is some fall, even by Liang's usual inconsistent standards. Just a hard guy to make out is all.

So that is Ken gone 10-2
    This year Ken had a wildcard and made a good start to the season but a poor finish. I wonder will he retire from professional snooker now?

Glenman wrote: »
    This year Ken had a wildcard and made a good start to the season but a poor finish. I wonder will he retire from professional snooker now?

Has he not got another year on that card? Thought he had anyway, same with Jimmy. Though I think it would take more than not having a tour card for Jimmy to retire!

Yeah they both have the 2 year tour cards, given last year. So one more year for both and then they will call it a day around this stage next year I'm sure.

Vafaei has done well to get it back to 5-7 against Maguire. Mags remains a strong favourite but could get very interesting if Vafaei kept this rate of frame winning going.

Vafaei now 6-7 Maguire and both looking a bit nervy out there. Ebdon 6-6 Day looks a possible to guarantee the late finish!

Lol at following the youtube live feed while working. Occasional comments make me feel I'm sitting in a bookie.

On the chat: Peter 'the drizzle' Ebdon.
    On the commentary: Neil Foulds speculates on what happened to the Marie Celeste

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Due to a technical error the draw has been pushed back to 12 oclock. The balls must not be able to roll or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Heading over Tuesday and Wednesday got email off them saying no sporting tops allowed from this year. What’s the Coventry lad going to do I wonder?

Advertisement