Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled parking misuse

Options
  • 27-09-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I'm in such a muddle my ds is in use of a wheelchair he has bad mobility issues and we have a blue badge for him and there is a disabled bay near his school. Which is being used by selfish parents as a drop of and pick up point for there kids. I confronted a few parents about it told them it's not a drop off zone and that bay is for badge holders only and was told to **** off. I really don't know where to go from here not only myself but there is a handful of blue badge holders in the school and we are forced to park away from the school as these bays are been misused. I am totally disgusted as if these people where in our place they would feel the same why should there laziness be classed as there disabilty or it's raining my child will get wet. Well what about these kids in wheelchairs/crutches and walking frames have to struggle across main roads and for them to get wet when these lazy parents are abusing a space provided for them any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Operation Enable is clamping down on just that.

Perhaps talk to your local Garda community liaison officer to see they'd either make their presence known, or fine a few people for wrongly using the spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

This is disgusting behaviour and I think you need to get the school involved and if there is a parents council perhaps you could mention it to them. My children's school have a system where some parents volunteer to 'police' the parking spaces closest to the school to ensure those spaces are only used for drop off only and not parking. You could suggest something like this for the disabled parking.

Failing that a few photographs of the offending cars and take them to the local Garda station. In fairness you have tried to approach the people and you were basically verbally abused so going the third party route is the only viable option open to you.

PS: 'ds' is a Rollercoaster term, boardies don't like it around here :)

I hope it works out for you and your son.

PS: 'ds' is a Rollercoaster term, boardies don't like it around here :)
    I just assumed "ds" = a typo of "da"...

the_syco wrote: »
    I just assumed "ds" = a typo of "da"...

ds = darling son on rollercoaster and judging by the OP's username I'd say it's definitely a Rollercoaster term in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rollercoaster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We have a slight variation at our school ,we have one blue badge space as we have a strict drop off only policy in the morning and afternoon ,
    One parent has a badge for herself but her husband uses it for his own parking ,and they demand other badge holders be asked to move From the space

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lovemykids

Thank you all for your replies... I went in and talked to the principal who practically told me to grow up and get over it he said that is not our problem deal with it yourself. I did suggest sending home a note aswell but he said no I won't be doing that I'm not here to police that space I told him I understood that but still he could have tried... I don't want to go down the route off the guards but it looks like it's my only choice. Yesterday at pick up time a lady was sitting in the spot reading her paper no badge in sight my son was at the main gate with his SNA waiting on me so I pulled up in front of the spot to grab him and go and the lolly pop man said move that car it's no parking so.... I was like wtf are you serious I was made move about 1/4 mile from the school walk back with my 2 year old to get my son.

*** sorry bout using DS just a habit ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's a fairly outrageous response from the Principal. You could consider escalating the matter to the Board of Management. You won't make any friends doing this, but you will make a point.

You might also want to try the publicity route - social media, Joe Duffy, the local paper - whatever it takes. Take photos, take videos. Again, you won't be winning any popularity contests, but it has to be done.

You could also try just stopping in front or behind the accessible parking bay to load or unload, and if this happens to block in the abusers, then so be it.

Is the parking bay on the street, or on school property or what?

Lovemykids wrote: »
    Yesterday at pick up time a lady was sitting in the spot reading her paper no badge in sight
    Would you be able to park behind said car, blocking said car in so you could get your son?

I am shocked with the response from the principal, unbelievable. Don't worry about making friends or enemies, you are there to fight for your son and nothing else.

I'm with AndrewJRenko, I think you should consider going to the Board of Management on this issue. Truly sickening from people/parents without the proper badge parking in that space reading a paper waiting to collect their kids, how did you manage to keep your cool is what I'd love to know??

Jesus I'm livid hearing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Lovemykids

I just have had enough I believe these parents know exactly what they are doing and it's just out of pure laziness I am the one in the wrong in there eyes.... There is no access to the school just from a main road no inside parking available just for teachers... I'm actually considering parking there the whole day and get a taxi home and back at pick up time just to prove a point I bet the school would get involved then.... I'm going to start taking photos and my next stop is the council and the guards I've gone through the school to no avail.... im just so grateful that I can't rant and rave to people here and you actually think I'm right on this issue xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

This really annoys me, and I don't have any family or friends with such mobility issues. It shows a complete lack of respect. Anyone found using a space without appropriate badge should be made do the full trip from the aviva to thomond park that the rugby players did a few years back. It would really enlighten them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

looksee wrote: »
    Rollercoaster?
    Website for people who know for an absolute unassailable fact that their kid is the most important thing to ever have existed. And who presume that everybody else shares this belief.*

*Not a pop at you, OP. Those parents sound like cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I just have had enough I believe these parents know exactly what they are doing and it's just out of pure laziness I am the one in the wrong in there eyes.... There is no access to the school just from a main road no inside parking available just for teachers... I'm actually considering parking there the whole day and get a taxi home and back at pick up time just to prove a point I bet the school would get involved then.... I'm going to start taking photos and my next stop is the council and the guards I've gone through the school to no avail.... im just so grateful that I can't rant and rave to people here and you actually think I'm right on this issue xxxx

If the disabled bay is on a public road, you can certainly call the Gardai every time. Or just block them in, even by double-parking if you have to - and let them explain the issue to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You need to talk to the local community Garda. Give him/her the times these people are parking at.

Call up to the station, I can only imagine you don't have much time to do this, but it's the only way. And these are the only people that can do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

There’s a woman whose daughter goes to the same school as my daughter and every evening when I collect from after school study she’s parked in the disability bay at the gates. She does have a blue badge but it’s for her, not her daughter. The daughter is very able bodied and healthy so I feel that this is a real misuse of the badge too. I have a badge myself (temporarily I hope) and wouldn’t even consider doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op no point in being nice about it any more, if somebody is in the space and doesn't have a badge park behind them and drop off your son and collect him, if that means blocking them in so be it. It's only when you inconvenience them they might think twice about parking there.

Personally I wouldn't park in a way that would block in the person parked in the disabled spot because this is a direct provocation and you just don't know what sort of reaction you will get and remember you will have your son with you so you don't want to upset your son by seeing any unsavoury backlash from the lowlife parking illegally.

Contact the relevant authorities with all the necessary proof and details and don't rest up until you are satisfied with the action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

That's appalling behaviour by parents. Have they no cop on😕

The principal didn't come off well either. You could bring this to the board of management. I'm guessing g the parking place is there to facilitate parents with special need kids. I think the vommunitu garda might be yoyr next step. They have been cracking down all over and this needs someone with authority to get through to some very selfish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi

I'm in such a muddle my ds is in use of a wheelchair he has bad mobility issues and we have a blue badge for him and there is a disabled bay near his school. Which is being used by selfish parents as a drop of and pick up point for there kids. I confronted a few parents about it told them it's not a drop off zone and that bay is for badge holders only and was told to **** off. I really don't know where to go from here not only myself but there is a handful of blue badge holders in the school and we are forced to park away from the school as these bays are been misused. I am totally disgusted as if these people where in our place they would feel the same why should there laziness be classed as there disabilty or it's raining my child will get wet. Well what about these kids in wheelchairs/crutches and walking frames have to struggle across main roads and for them to get wet when these lazy parents are abusing a space provided for them any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Hi its disappointing to read this and the principal's attitude is shocking. I'm a disabled driver and in my experience the only 2 things that get through to people is cost and massive inconvenience.

So step 1 is get the local garda to issue tickets. If its a public space they should be able to follow up even with a photo.

Step 2 i would park beside offending car (personally i would and have blocked cars in). I would stop and park and block half the road if i had to. Park on the crossing and when asked to move refuse and say sorry the disabled bay is being abused. I absolutely guarantee the school WILL get involved if you start parking on the crossing.

Should the gardai be called they'll move the disabled bay abuser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Hi, my wife has a disabled badge and a trend we have seen recently is for people to park in the blue spaces with no badge but leave an elderly relative in the car whilst they go in shopping.
    Obviously they are banking on the people not saying anything to the elderly relative, has anybody seen this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Roanmore wrote: »
    Hi, my wife has a disabled badge and a trend we have seen recently is for people to park in the blue spaces with no badge but leave an elderly relative in the car whilst they go in shopping.
    Obviously they are banking on the people not saying anything to the elderly relative, has anybody seen this before?

Yes seen this at Supervalu and asked the offenders go move.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

My wife has a blue badge and I would not dream of using it if she wasn't in the car, people seem to have less shame nowadays , the blue badge spaces are bigger for people with mobility issues, it is not that they are closer to the door. I had an argument with a taxi driver outside a school and he didn't like it. If more people challenged abusers then people would think twice.
    In my opinion it is a pretty low person who would abuse a disabled parking permit or space.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Roanmore wrote: »
    We have seen this as well. But we still address the offenders. Because why would they need a blue spot if the 'disabled' person is staying in the car?

My husband is a disabled driver with a blue badge. We drive a lot, and in various countries, and I have to say that Ireland is the worst country we drive in, having this problem, and that is because there are no guards fining the offenders, so they know that 99 out of 100 times they will get away with it.

We have not experienced so much abuse of disabled parking spots in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Spain. But in all those countries there are many more law enforcers active. Ireland is really horrendous in that respect. I truly believe that if the Guards here would make an effort they could get their fining quotum done in no time by only fining the blue badge spot abusers.

Most disturbing is the fact that when we address people, we usually get the finger or are being told to **** off. My husband would give anything to not have to use the blue badge, but there is no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Basically I want to add an option to this thread that might work if only the guards and the law would be willing to embrace it,.....

If everyone that sees an offender takes their smartphone, and photograph the car inclusive of the spot it is in so it is visible that it is supposed to be for blue badge owners only, and the windshield not displaying the blue badge, and post this to, let's say a specially dedicated, website for these offenders so the guards could fine them no matter what, the number of offences would very drastically drop.

I am afraid though this is legally not possible..... but it would really have effect. Now it happens all too often that my husband is not capable of parking where he should be allowed. So he has to bow his head for anti-social people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Basically I want to add an option to this thread that might work if only the guards and the law would be willing to embrace it,.....

If everyone that sees an offender takes their smartphone, and photograph the car inclusive of the spot it is in so it is visible that it is supposed to be for blue badge owners only, and the windshield not displaying the blue badge, and post this to, let's say a specially dedicated, website for these offenders so the guards could fine them no matter what, the number of offences would very drastically drop.

I am afraid though this is legally not possible..... but it would really have effect. Now it happens all too often that my husband is not capable of parking where he should be allowed. So he has to bow his head for anti-social people.

Cyclists have tried it:
    http://freethecyclelanes.vool.ie
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cycle-lanes-blocked-500-times-a-week-nx2htdrcs

Doesnt work. Also doesn't help that many blue spots are in private parking areas where its up to NCPS/APCOA to enforce and they don't give two hoots. Disability Fed should be hounding them publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Any update from the OP how everything turned out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

In the last 2 weeks I have confronted 2 drivers parked in disables spaces. Both times their excuse was "I'm just waiting here and if anybody wants it I'll move on"

The first guy did move on because we wanted the space, car park was full otherwise. The second time the guy just stayed there (we didn't need the space).

If you are going to use that bull**** excuse here's a tip, reverse in so people looking for a spot can see that you don't have a badge. Are you expecting a disabled person to get out of the car to check if you have a badge?

I actually copped the guy in the second scenario driving in to the car park, there were spaces available else where but he drove straight up and in to it, use to doing it I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

It is also morally abhorrent.

I know of at least two people with blue badges that to the general populous "do not look disabled" yet they are.

I'd be careful about naming and shaming someone with a valid right to use the space.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

ED E wrote: »
    Cyclists have tried it:
    http://freethecyclelanes.vool.ie
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cycle-lanes-blocked-500-times-a-week-nx2htdrcs

Doesnt work. Also doesn't help that many blue spots are in private parking areas where its up to NCPS/APCOA to enforce and they don't give two hoots. Disability Fed should be hounding them publicly.

Yes but cyclists think every inch of pavement, road, pedestrianised bridge etc should be able to be used.

The person last Friday outside Bar Rua driving on to the pavement on Clarendon St and having to brake to avoid - and scaring the life out of - a disabled man certainly couldn't care less.

Advertisement