Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick 1691

Options
  • 03-04-2017 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭

This might be an odd one but I have been reading a fair bit about the Williamite War lately and the disaster at Thomond Bridge in Limerick interests me but I'm not exactly clear on what happened.

As far as I can gather the bridge at that time had a tower/castle defence structure about two thirds of the way across. When the Irish were routed from the Clare side of the bridge they tried to cross it but there was a drawbridge section that was raised and they couldn't get into the city and so were shot down or forced to jump into the river to escape. About 6-800 were killed.

This is where I get confused about the layout. Was the drawbridge section in front of the city gate or was it before the tower on the bridge? So were the men trapped on the bridge between the tower and the city, having run through the tower, or were they trapped between the Clare side and the tower?

Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JackFknTwist

I don't have anything on that but as I'm from Limerick I was interested. I have collected a few coins from the Limerick Mint which was located in King John's Castle,I think, during the sieges. .....overstruck 'gun money'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

This might be an odd one but I have been reading a fair bit about the Williamite War lately and the disaster at Thomond Bridge in Limerick interests me but I'm not exactly clear on what happened.

As far as I can gather the bridge at that time had a tower/castle defence structure about two thirds of the way across. When the Irish were routed from the Clare side of the bridge they tried to cross it but there was a drawbridge section that was raised and they couldn't get into the city and so were shot down or forced to jump into the river to escape. About 6-800 were killed.

This is where I get confused about the layout. Was the drawbridge section in front of the city gate or was it before the tower on the bridge? So were the men trapped on the bridge between the tower and the city, having run through the tower, or were they trapped between the Clare side and the tower?

Can anyone help me with this?
    Thomond Bridge was Rebuilt in 1836.

Advertisement