Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

photo archives?

Options
  • 05-03-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a bit of rooting around photo archives lately, mainly with a focus on our automotive heritage.

I've found the Kenneally and Cleary Archives as well as the Irish Photo Archive, the National Library, Waterford county library and a few more but I'm wondering are there more out there that I've missed?

If any of you know of more online photo archives showing life in Ireland from 1950 onwards, please share the links!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

RIAC Archive would be the obvious place to start.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

thanks pinkyminky

to be more specific, my personal project is to find evidence of Volkswagens built in Ireland in the '50s. Ireland was the first country in the world (after Germany of course) to build Volkswagens, after which they were built in many other countries.

via the Kenneally archive, RTE archive, Irish Photo Archive etc, I have found photos of some very early VW vans. While some are posed photos, most are just incidentally included in photographs of people, events etc. For example:

ZL90--barndoor-radioeeireann_zpspilpwhlq.png
    fabercastell4_zpsti32gsqe.jpg
    ZO5058%20IMCO%20panelvan%20dublin%20port2_zpsr36mfybl.jpg
    APPLESAP%20panel%201955%20parade%20Dublin_zpsmtaf09y7.jpg
    APPLESAP%20panel%20crop_zpsxiynenr4.jpg

has anyone got any more, even general Irish historical interest photo archives amongst their saved bookmarks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

thanks pinkyminky

to be more specific, my personal project is to find evidence of Volkswagens built in Ireland in the '50s. Ireland was the first country in the world (after Germany of course) to build Volkswagens, after which they were built in many other countries.

Have you checked with the National Transport Museum ? Also, the company that assembled them (O'Flaherty Holdings) is still around and owns for e.g. MSL. The cars were I think imported CKD and assembled, like the Vauxhalls & Bedfords built by McCairns and the Datsuns (much later) by the firm owned by al Babtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Brilliant topic, would love to see what you uncover. It's hard to believe that we had a thriving motor assembly industry. Could you imagine the number of people employed !!
    My late Dad worked on the assembly line in Chrysler, it then became Rootes and finally Talbot afair. Older brother worked for Fiat. No VW connections I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

RIAC, NLI, and some family papers/holdings in private collections would come to mind initially. Military Archives may have some photos, too, but they'd be of army vehicles, of course.

As an aside: Someone recently completed and was awarded their PhD on the history of automobiles in Ireland. I won't post their name/details here, but if it would be of any interest/help, drop me a PM.

Advertisement