Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rugby League Thread

Options
  • 17-10-2015 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Since I've had so many requests for an International thread here it is.

Wales beat Scotland by 6 last night, 1800 there which isn't bad for international sadly.

Tonga are Playing Cook Islands now for a place in the next World Cup. Streaming live now here if anyone is interested!! Cook Islands underdogs but winning at the minute. Excellent quality stream too.

http://www.nrl.com/live-stream-tonga-v-cook-islands/tabid/10874/newsid/90541/default.aspx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Ireland suffered a heavy defeat to France. Was 8 all at half-time but Ireland faded badly by the looks of it. Finished 31 - 14.

Oh and Canada beat the USA 34 - 28.

Scotland host Ireland this Friday, both need a win after last week's defeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Scotland host Ireland this Friday, both need a win after last week's defeats.
    And an under 19 side are also playing Scotland this weekend - Saturday.
    Colm Stapleton, Robert O'Meara, Adam Boyce, Matt Connolly,
    Mani Johnston,
    Adam Brodigan, Matthew Coade, Robert Gacek, Colm Doyle, Martin Cole, Matt Mckelvey, Tom O'Neil, Emmet Banahan, Jason Gribbon, Ryan Hughes, Aaron Donnolly, Dylan Maher, Craig Black

Good win for Ireland over Scotland. Cracking fightback from Scotland 2nd half though.

Scots trailed 18 - 4 at half-time and actually took the lead in the second half to lead 22 - 18, but Ireland scored a converted try to finish 24 - 22 winners.

England v France today. BBC could have done the decent thing and put it on TV, but no, we get repeats of homes under the hammer and bargain hunt. Despicable!

• Advertisement

Actually I think Bargain Hunt was more competitive than the French were, so maybe the BBC were right!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Scotland won u19s game 30-12.

Sam Tomkins is out of the Series for England v New Zealand, with a knee injury.

Good article in the Guardian about what Rugby League internationals can learn from the Union World Cup. More Rugby league coverage on free TV is a must, though doubt that'll happen in England or this side of the world with Sky's stranglehold on the great game.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/30/rugby-league-learn-rugby-world-cup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Wales beat Scotland by 6 last night, 1800 there which isn't bad for international sadly.

:confused: isn't bad

vauxhall conference get bigger attendances than that

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    :confused: isn't bad

Attendance at international rugby league outside World Cups or the big three teams is poor, hence the word sadly at the end of my previous post from two weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

bit pathetic really considering the attendances at the rugby WC

why don't rugby league buried the hatchet with union and re-unite

surely common ground can be found?

philstar wrote: »
    bit pathetic really considering the attendances at the rugby WC

why don't rugby league buried the hatchet with union and re-unite

surely common ground can be found?

They're two different games. You prefer Union I'm guessing.

I'll try once more, League isn't popular at international level outside the big 3, I'm not denying that, in fact I've said the same thing to you three times. Choosing what sport has merit by attendance?

There will be decent crowds at the England v New Zealand games, domestically in England attendances for top flight league and union aren't that different. In Australia Rugby League is still the most popular game in the country.

Oh, and here's one final stat.

Host nation of union world cup managed 50000, a game between 2 league teams for super league grand final had 73500.

England v New Zealand in their first test of three today. Live on BBC Two at 4.45pm.

That was some haka, perfectly respected by the crowd too.

Great start by the Kiwis, off loads killing England.

McNamara needs to win this series or get the boot imo.

England dreadful so far. 10 nil down after 17 mins.

Poor decision from the video ref. Thankfully for England, who go down the other end and score.

England had some luck with bounce and calls again this half, but making it count. Lead by 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

A bit too much luck...

I like watching the odd game of league. I just find it too repetitive.

• Advertisement

moleyv wrote: »
    A bit too much luck...

I like watching the odd game of league. I just find it too repetitive.

Thought the worst decision was that video ref call in 1st half. Never ever obstruction

Yeah. On balance I think ENG should be slightly ahead, NZ need to get a bit of the fire back, a slog fest will only suit England.

moleyv wrote: »
    Yeah. On balance I think ENG should be slightly ahead, NZ need to get a bit of the fire back, a slog fest will only suit England.

England probably do deserve the lead.

Aussie ref next game and another 80 minutes under their belt I reckon the Kiwis will be significantly better in London.

Aussie ref next game and another 80 minutes under their belt I reckon the Kiwis will be significantly better in London.

I'd agree.

That was some smash for a try.

Pleased England have this won, but still not convinced McNamara is the man to take them on to regularly test a full strength Kiwi or Australian team.

I'll miss next weeks game because of fuppin work. It'll be a lot better game too, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Enjoyed the game, good result but DWW has me thinking, who would replace Stevey Mac if they lose the series? Thankless job for whoever gets it anyway.....

Does it need to be full time? Not enough international rugby of significant quality to merit full time imo. If it became part time, candidate list could be huge, including southern hemisphere coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Part time would suit Jamie Peacock......he'd be a great leader. Having said that, there are lots of lads that would suit the role.

• Advertisement

Ireland play Wales in Bray this weekend at the Carlisle grounds. To win the European Championship, Ireland need to win and better France's score by 25 or hope Scotland can beat France, Wales just need to avoid a loss.

Advertisement