Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Daly - Royal Munster Fusiliers

Options
  • 21-11-2013 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some help trying to track down the family of a Denis Daly (service no: 4177), who died at the Battle of Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915, while serving with the 3rd Batt. Royal Munster Fusiliers. From what I know, he was the son of Jeremiah Daly and Johanna McCrohan, was born in Cahirciveen, Kerry, in 31st October, 1886. He was listed as living in Abbey Street, Tralee, Kerry in the 1911 Census, with a wife Mary, and two children (Denis and Jeremiah). I believe that one of the children may have died between the census and the war.

I am trying to find out what happened to his wife (did she remarry) or did they have any more children.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

link to the census

I don't think it's going to be too easy to find her until the 1921 census becomes available. There are about 4 Mary Dalys marrying in Tralee from 1915 to 1925. You could always get those certs and hope that one of them lists the same parents names as your Mary Daly (BTW, Denis Daly looks to have married Mary Purcell in Tralee in 1907 so you're looking for a marriage record where the bride's father is listed as Purcell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

1926 census.. none taken in 1921.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Sometimes on a second marriage the bride is indexed under or both her surnames - i.e. maiden name, and surname of first marriage, or under her maiden surname, i.e. Purcell. I've seen this on a few earlier certs - not sure if it was always the case..

Might be worth bearing in mind if searching for a 2nd marriage for Mary

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agree with Shane, I have seen this too.

You could try the electoral register while we wait for 2027!
    They don't list it on the Kerry library page but I'm sure they'll know where it is.
    http://www.kerrylibrary.ie/local.asp

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Agree with Shane, I have seen this too.

You could try the electoral register while we wait for 2027!
    They don't list it on the Kerry library page but I'm sure they'll know where it is.
    http://www.kerrylibrary.ie/local.asp

Promises had been made to have the 1926 census online in time for the 1916 commemorations, but the economic situation might have an effect on that timeline. The 1926 census is the only census that doesn't come under the 100 year rule, so they can be released sooner. If anyone knows a TD, please bring it to their attention that this would be a good thing to do !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
    Name: Denis Daly
    Birth Place: St. John's, Tralee, Co. Kerry
    Residence: Tralee
    Death Date: 9 May 1915
    Death Location: France & Flanders
    Enlistment Location: Tralee
    Regiment: Royal Munster Fusiliers
    Battalion: 2nd Battalion
    Number: 4177
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

You have the wrong parents and place of birth. This is more likely his baptism record.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
    Name: Denis Daly
    Birth Place: St. John's, Tralee, Co. Kerry
    Residence: Tralee
    Death Date: 9 May 1915
    Death Location: France & Flanders
    Enlistment Location: Tralee
    Regiment: Royal Munster Fusiliers
    Battalion: 2nd Battalion
    Number: 4177
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

You have the wrong parents and place of birth. This is more likely his baptism record.

From what I can gather, this person is the Denis Daly that died in Listowel with the RMF in December 1918 (although I might be wrong). However, until I can find a definite answer as to who were the parents of the 3 Denis Dalys that died during the war, it is difficult to figure out which is which.

Clauric wrote: »
    From what I can gather, this person is the Denis Daly that died in Listowel with the RMF in December 1918 (although I might be wrong).

The record I posted says Tralee Denis died in 1915. Kerry County Library has records for 3 Dalys: Denis (Tralee, d. 1915), Denis (Listowel, d. 1918) and Michael (Cahirciveen, d. 1917).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mumha wrote: »
    Promises had been made to have the 1926 census online in time for the 1916 commemorations, but the economic situation might have an effect on that timeline. The 1926 census is the only census that doesn't come under the 100 year rule, so they can be released sooner. If anyone knows a TD, please bring it to their attention that this would be a good thing to do !

Actually, I thought that too but had it corrected by a TD in writing recently: it does come under the 100 years. Reading between the lines, the CSO doesn't want to do the work early. It's not already on microfilm like the 1901/1911 was. Apparently CIGO are not now holding out much hope for 2016. They'd need to be working on it already.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The record I posted says Tralee Denis died in 1915. Kerry County Library has records for 3 Dalys: Denis (Tralee, d. 1915), Denis (Listowel, d. 1918) and Michael (Cahirciveen, d. 1917).

Sorry, I meant that, I believe, the Denis Daly, son of Johanna Godfrey, was the person who died in Listowel. However, it is difficult to find the exact person, and the Kerry records are still incomplete.

• Advertisement

Clauric wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant that, I believe, the Denis Daly, son of Johanna Godfrey, was the person who died in Listowel. However, it is difficult to find the exact person, and the Kerry records are still incomplete.

No, the Denis who died in Listowel was also born there. This might be him.

Are you looking for the son of Jeremiah Daly and Johanna McCrohan or are you researching a soldier?

No, the Denis who died in Listowel was also born there. This might be him.

Are you looking for the son of Jeremiah Daly and Johanna McCrohan or are you researching a soldier?

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. It looks like I might have the Denis' mixed up. Looking for both Denis, and the rest of his family. His sister was my great grand mother. Looks like I'll have to go back and change a couple of details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Actually, I thought that too but had it corrected by a TD in writing recently: it does come under the 100 years. Reading between the lines, the CSO doesn't want to do the work early. It's not already on microfilm like the 1901/1911 was. Apparently CIGO are not now holding out much hope for 2016. They'd need to be working on it already.

That's an interesting take on it, thanks. Claire Santry had this news on it last April

22 April 2013 Time marches on and still there's no sign of the legislation being in place anytime soon. At the recent Clare Roots Society Conference 'Gathering the Scattering', the concensus seemed to be that progress had not just stalled, it was almost in retreat. The issue of the CSO (see 16 November update, below) rumbles on. Realistically, if the legislation is not in place by the end of this year, it is difficult to see the 1926 census of Ireland being available for public consumption by 2016, the date originally set for release. - See more at: http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/1926-census.html

I think I found your Denis. In 1911 he was working as a Post Office clerk in London. Soon after he became involved with the IRB. You can find the witness statement he gave to the Bureau of Military History here. He was a FF TD for South Kerry between 1933 and 1937. He was a baker by trade and never married. He died on March 24th 1965 and is buried in Killavarnogue graveyard.

I think I found your Denis. In 1911 he was working as a Post Office clerk in London. Soon after he became involved with the IRB. You can find the witness statement he gave to the Bureau of Military History here. He was a FF TD for South Kerry between 1933 and 1937. He was a baker by trade and never married. He died on March 24th 1965 and is buried in Killavarnogue graveyard.

His father was a baker, so this is entirely possible. I will have to have a further look, to avoid further mistakes on my part

More attachments...

Denis Daly's pension record is amongst those released today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JackTT

Hi Clauric
    Just joined Boards and came across your Denis Daly Query, is this still live or have you found your answers?
    Jack

Advertisement