Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourmakeady Ambush 3rd of May 1921

Options
  • 02-05-2013 8:46pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As we approach the anniversary of the Tourmakeady ambush, I'm taking this opportunity to provide the correct list of names of the men who served in the South Mayo ASU. This picture was published in "Dilseacht, the story of Comdt. General TOM MAGUIRE and the Second (All-Ireland) Dáil" By Ruairí Ó Brádaigh, but he failed to correctly identify the men in the picture:

252094.jpg

01. Mattie Flannery (Ballinrobe)
    02. Tommy Fahy (Ballinrobe)
    03. Jack Collins (Cong)
    04. Mick Collins (Cong)
    05. John Butler (Ballinrobe)
    06. Terry O'Brien (Ballinrobe)
    07. Martin Conroy (Ballinrobe)
    08. Comdt. Tom Lally (2nd in command at this time)
    09. Capt. Paddy Maye (Ballinrobe)
    10. Brigadier Tom Maguire
    11. Paddy King (Tourmakeady)
    12. Tommy Cavanagh (Cong)
    13. Seamus Burke (The Neale)
    14. Michael Shaughessy (Cross)
    15. Michael Corless (Cross)
    16. Lt. Seamus O'Brien (Kilmaine)
    17. Tommy Carney (Cong)
    18. Paddy Gibbons (Tourmakeady)
    19. Tom Murphy (Cong)
    20. Michael Costello (Tourmakeady - known as "Soldier" due to his service in WWI)
    21. Jack Ferguson (Ballinrobe - originally from Leitrim)

The picture was taken in the grounds of Moorehall in the summer of 1921, where the ASU was stationed during the treaty negotiations. The picture (original) and the list of names has been taken from the papers of Lt. Seamus O'Brien. The list is signed and dated - 30th of December 1964.

The space between No. 1 and No. 10 in the picture is deliberate and was done as a tribute to their fallen adjutant Comdt. Michael O'Brien who was killed in action earlier in the summer. This was done at the suggestion of Tom Maguire.

During his lifetime Brigadier Tom Maguire provided several different version of the events of that day, as suited his purpose. However the other officers always stated that the version published in An t-Oglach on the 21st of August 1921 was the most accurate (this was subsequently republished in the Kerryman on the 2nd of October 1954).

While retreating from the ambush site, the ASU was engaged by the soldiers of the Border Regiment, under the command of Lt. Emmerson. During this action the brigade adj. Comdt. Michael O'Brien was killed by Lt. Emmerson. Emmerson in turn was shot by Lt. Seamus O'Brien who discharged both barrels of his shotgun, the first hit the officer high in the chest, knocking the rifle from his hands, while the second shot hit him in the stomach and lower body.

While going through the family papers after the death of my mother a few years ago, I stumbled across a picture of Michael O'Brien (aged 22 years):

252095.jpg

I might add that growing up in the household of Seamus O'Brien as a young boy, I had the privilege of meeting several of the men of the ASU in old age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Can you give us more information on the ambush?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Can you give us more information on the ambush?

At present I'm a bit short on time, but when I get a chance I will try to add more to it. The basic facts have been published in a few books now, so I'm not sure what you'd like me to address...

Out of respect for a senior officer and not wishing to contradict him, the men of the ASU decided not to make statements to the Bureau of Military History, which is unfortunate for us :( The other side did however:

Major Geoffery Ibberson (note the correct spelling of his family name!)

Mr. J.R.W Goulden (Son of an RIC Sgt. stationed in Ballinrobe on the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I meant background information as a summary of the attack for people who might not be familiar with this. The west actions are often forgotten in lieu of cork in particular.
    What do you think of the book by Donal buckley on the incident. I would be interested in what locals think of his title 'fact or fiction'.

Advertisement