Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typing Archives

Options
  • 01-06-2011 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to type up archived records (not a family tree)? Is MS Word OK? I really would appreciate getting some advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It depends on what sort of records, I suppose.

EG: if it the same information each time, I'd use a spreadsheet. Most things I would use MS Word for though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

If it's records that appear in rows and columns (or could appear), then I'd definitely use Excel (or Access if you're even more technical). Even if you never actually do it, there's always the chance that you could make use of the filtering and sorting in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes, I think I would agree with Excel or Access - and although I'm not an 'expert' I've used both a lot so I'm sure I'd be fine with either. I'm typing graveyard records. I haven't seen the records in great detail yet but I know it's time to do it now before there's any more deterioration. I'll know more in a week or so and I will then have to design the format. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I suppose it depends on how much information you have to record..

I put together a document for a family get together a few years ago based on the details I had. At the time I decided the best way to present it was as a document with the following sections

part 1 - Introduction / Timeline / Basic Family Tree
    part 2 - details for each family group - parents names dates, of birth, marriage etc,
    details of children, family stories, photos,
    document extracts (census/certs/griffith's etc)
    part 3 - notes on primary sources - civil certs, parish records, Griffth's etc
    part 4 - place names, locations, maps and any important local history
    part 5 - origins and general history on surnames
    part 6 - newspaper extracts, certs for principles, etc,
    part 7 - indexes in chronological and name order

Shane

If you do it in Excel, it can always be brought into Access or vice versa. If you do it in Excel, you can decide to change format as you go along, which is a bit harder in Access. Access has advanced filtering however, which is nice to have when using it. I think if I were doing it I would use Excel to type it up and bring it into Access afterwards. Every bit of information could be put into its own column, e.g. first name(s), surname, townland, town/parish, and each piece of any other information that's there - rule of thumb is it's usually easier to join information if needed than split a field. Sorry if I'm going down the wrong path with regards to your question :)

• Advertisement

Not at all Dun, that's all good info. Shanew your info I will bear in mind when I'm doing up the family tree as well. I'm no genealogist really but I have managed to get a lot of info together for the family tree. But my most immediate project is the graveyard archive. I may have to consult with you all again when I have seen the records. Thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 davidjcie

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    What's the best way to type up archived records (not a family tree)? Is MS Word OK? I really would appreciate getting some advice.

I would use a genealogy program of some sort as it gives you greater ability to manage the dat as it grows.

davidjcie wrote: »
    I would use a genealogy program of some sort as it gives you greater ability to manage the dat as it grows.

That's ok if it was just for me but I have to hand the whole project back to folk who wouldn't be using genealogy software. I think its best to keep it simple for the moment. I don't know if Excel can be imported into genealogy programs.

Definitely, definitely, definitely do NOT use family tree software for this kind of thing - I've been witness to that happening in the past, and it makes it so difficult to use! Family tree software is only really good for exactly that, family trees. Excel and Access are good for storing and manipulating data, which is what is needed in this kind of situation. Family tree software is about the relationships as much as the data, and you don't want to have to start making judgements on relationships in records - it's all too easy to make an incorrect assumptions, especially when faced with lots of data.

Dun wrote: »
    Definitely, definitely, definitely do NOT use family tree software for this kind of thing - I've been witness to that happening in the past, and it makes it so difficult to use! Family tree software is only really good for exactly that, family trees. Excel and Access are good for storing and manipulating data, which is what is needed in this kind of situation. Family tree software is about the relationships as much as the data, and you don't want to have to start making judgements on relationships in records - it's all too easy to make an incorrect assumptions, especially when faced with lots of data.

All good advice - I'm leaning towards Excel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement