Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interested in Genealogy

• 26-05-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

HI I've become very interested in my ancestors history but find it difficult to trace them. Have used the 1911 census and that was good. anyone know a good site for getting any further?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

have a look at the stickies on the Genealogy forum : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1288

If you have a family on the the 1911 census you should be able to trace back from there using civil records - e.g. search for a birth cert for one of the children to establish mother's maiden name, use those details to search for a marriage to establish the parents father's names etc,...

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Candelabra

Thank you ShaneW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bandonbridge

Have you gone to the church which would have been local to the families that you are trying to trace. If you know the names of the family members who were alive in 1860, you could go to the Valuations Office in the Irish Life centre in Dublin and ask for the books on the townland in question and then find the chain of ownership of the property within the family. If members of your family emigrated, the best place to trace them would be on ancestry.com, but it is not cheap, although it is extremely good. You might also try irishnewsarchives website, which you can access free at your local library to find any articles or any mention of any family members in local newspapers. That should get you started.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Dun wrote: »
    Just wondering if there were any people doing genealogy (their own or somebody else's) out there. Apart from one of my friends I know nobody else Irish that is interested in genealogy and still in their twenties.

I thought I was on my own too. I'm adopted and I've done my bio family tree and my adoptive family tree. Its a pity there's not more info online that doesn't cost too much but I did most of my tree's using the irishgenealogy website which I found fantastic. I'm in my twenties too by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Candelabra

Thanks so much for all your welcome suggestions on how to access the info :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi Candelabra - I've moved your posts to a new thread.
    Avoid resurrecting very old threads, thanks. :)

EDIT: Also just moved this to the Genealogy Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

tyview wrote: »
    I thought I was on my own too. I'm adopted and I've done my bio family tree and my adoptive family tree. Its a pity there's not more info online that doesn't cost too much but I did most of my tree's using the irishgenealogy website which I found fantastic. I'm in my twenties too by the way...

That must be way old, I've hit 32 now :D Been doing it since I'm 20, and still never finished.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I started at 12 and am now in my early thirties. Just completed a 3 year part-time course in it in UCD too!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement