Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathbornes

Options
  • 22-02-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone would know how I could gain access to the historical employment records for Rathbornes? My Great Grandfather was employed as a Candle maker there. I have sent several emails to Lalors/Rathbornes to see if they have archives I can access but can't get a response from them.

Kind Regards.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't think a private company is obliged to give out historical employee records. A letter detailing your connection and saying the family doesn't know much about him might lend gravitas to it. Sometimes companies are terrible at responding to email of any kind. They may not have kept their records. In the letter, ask if their records are in the National Library or housed in a repository that you could visit.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Selinab85

Hi There -

Rathbornes do not hold historical records in any kind of archive. There was a fire in East Wall that would've destroyed alot of these things plus because Rathbornes was est in 1488 - They wouldn't have the facilities to save alot of this .

They do have some historical books in their factory showroom & a book detailing the history of Rathbornes - However they don't have a facility where they would be able to pin point a name etc.

In regards to the email - depending what subject you used , the email address etc - It could've very well have been marked as spam as 3 people look after the general line so this could not have been missed on several occassions.

Hope this helps. :)

Advertisement