Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land commission

Options
  • 09-06-2011 10:44am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone could point me towards an online resource for searching the land commission's records?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Unfortunately there are no online resources for the Land Commission. Until recently the actual paper files were stored in the same building as the National Archives but I have heard they've been removed to another location. I've never looked at them myself but I understand from other academics that it is notoriously difficult to gain access, even though they are public records. Total hearsay now, but the implication was that they hid behind "records could stir up trouble for people". If you ring the NA, they can tell you where they've been moved to and then my advice would be to frame a formal, polite letter explaining exactly what you want to see and why.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are no online resources for the Land Commission. Until recently the actual paper files were stored in the same building as the National Archives but I have heard they've been removed to another location. I've never looked at them myself but I understand from other academics that it is notoriously difficult to gain access, even though they are public records.

Great info pinkypinky - much appreciated.
    Total hearsay now, but the implication was that they hid behind "records could stir up trouble for people".
    I must have been mistaken in thinking we had moved on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 davidjcie

slowburner wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone could point me towards an online resource for searching the land commission's records?

I'm afraid I dont but it would be very useful:)

On a similar vein has anyone tried to get details of a property (who owned a piece of land going back as far as Griffiths?) from the Land Registery Office?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The Cancelled Land books are usually organised by Electoral District, containing sections for each Civil parish, which are then sub-divided in to the individual townlands ... a bit like the way Griffth's is arranged, with similar details.

Once you have found a starting point it's usually possible to follow the property forwards (or backwards) in time. The books are updated with changes in occupier or owner in different coloured ink, and previous entries are crossed out - but readable. Periodically an entire section or book is cancelled and the details continued in a new volume.

One word of warning about the Electoral districts - even though townlands and civil parishes are static, Electoral boundaries were redrawn from time to time, so you sometimes have to switch district as you progress.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

shanew wrote: »
    The Cancelled Land books are usually organised by Electoral District, containing sections for each Civil parish, which are then sub-divided in to the individual townlands ... a bit like the way Griffth's is arranged, with similar details.

Once you have found a starting point it's usually possible to follow the property forwards (or backwards) in time. The books are updated with changes in occupier or owner in different coloured ink, and previous entries are crossed out - but readable. Periodically an entire section or book is cancelled and the details continued in a new volume.

One word of warning about the Electoral districts - even though townlands and civil parishes are static, Electoral boundaries were redrawn from time to time, so you sometimes have to switch district as you progress.

Shane

Are these records available online?

no

Valuation Office is in the Irish Life Centre - close to the GRO Research Room

shanew wrote: »
    no

Valuation Office is in the Irish Life Centre - close to the GRO Research Room

I have an impression that solicitors can either access data online or request data online once the particular plot of land is known and this information will give all occupiers of the plot back to Grifiths. Is this true. Dublin is a long way for those of us in far distant West Cork:)

davidjcie wrote: »
    I have an impression that solicitors can either access data online or request data online once the particular plot of land is known and this information will give all occupiers of the plot back to Grifiths. Is this true. Dublin is a long way for those of us in far distant West Cork:)

I did see something about access to land details for solicitors etc maybe the Land Registry ?

I dont believe it's the same sort of details - I'm almost sure the Cancelled Land books have never been digitized or scanned.

They may be able to provide details by phone/post - see http://www.valoff.ie/research.htm

Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There is definitely a way on the website to look at the most recent rates paid for a location but it does not go through the whole history. Maybe this is what you're thinking of?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There is definitely a way on the website to look at the most recent rates paid for a location but it does not go through the whole history. Maybe this is what you're thinking of?

I just had a go at that - it gives the current rateable valuation details only...and just commercial addresses for some parts.

Shane

I think it was LandRegistry I was thinking of - they have an online services section

http://www.landregistry.ie/eng/Online_Services/

S.

Advertisement