Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help finding a book on the famine please.

Options
  • 07-09-2010 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Without trying to start another long debate on the subject......

Years ago I vividly remeber my sister reading a book on the famine.
    At the back of this book were a few excerpts from a London newspaper. (if my memory serves me correctly it was the illustrated London news)
    The excerpt wrote that the famine was a great natural disaster for the english people as it was helping to rid the world of the scourge that is Irishmen.
    I have been trying to find this book or this excerpt on the net but I am having no luck.
    Just wondering if anyone here read the same book or knows of the article in the back.
    Sorry I have no idea of the title or author of the book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

ne.

The excerpt wrote that the famine was a great natural disaster for the english people as it was helping to rid the world of the scourge that is Irishmen.

Are we missing words?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The book that always springs to mind here is one I haven't read for many years - The Great Hunger by Cecil Woodham-Smith, a direct descendant of Lord Edward Fitzgerald, a leader of the 1798 rebellion, but I don't think it meets the criterion you specify (Cecil is female, nee Fitzgerald in Wales).

The excerpt you quote sounds to me like it might be from Punch magazine, a perennial source of vitriolic commentary and caricature of Ireland and all things Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yes agree its most probably a quote from Punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Not missing any words although its far from a direct quote as I'm going on a memory here. Which is why I'm trying to source this book so I can either confirm or correct this ''information''.
    I dont know of punch but its not ringing any bells at all. I was almost sure it was the illustrated london news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Maybe this book has something to do with it. It's very sinister and fascinating.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=WC-nn1hzFdQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+irish+crisis&hl=en&ei=G1qKTKGkG5HNswaXybjRAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

"Unless we are much deceived, posterity...will acknowledge that on this, as on many other occasions, Supreme Wisdom has educed permanent good out of transient evil" - Trevelyan

• Advertisement
Advertisement