Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol station opened, shop closed?

Options
  • 13-12-2018 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

What is the point in having a petrol station shop opened 24 hours and the adjoining shop to it closed by 11pm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

What is the point in having a petrol station shop opened 24 hours and the adjoining shop to it closed by 11pm?

Is there a hatch? If there's a hatch you can pay for petrol/diesel at the shop, you can ask the assistant to get you fags/fanta/steak (as you are a paleo person).

There might be only one person in the actual shop, so for security reasons they close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Some petrol stations allow you to pay for petrol at the pump.
    Some petrol stations close the shop for security reasons but you can often get things by asking the guy through the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm confused.

So the shop is open 24 hours, but the adjoining shop is closed at 11pm.

What is the adjoining shop? Some sort of hat-shop or something?

If there's a guy there, you just ask them to get you something in the petrol station shop and then you conduct the ensuing transaction through the hatch that is helpfully provided. It's really quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Is there a hatch? If there's a hatch you can pay for petrol/diesel at the shop, you can ask the assistant to get you fags/fanta/steak (as you are a paleo person).

There might be only one person in the actual shop, so for security reasons they close the door.
    IngazZagni wrote: »
    Some petrol stations allow you to pay for petrol at the pump.
    Some petrol stations close the shop for security reasons but you can often get things by asking the guy through the window.

Alright, I was taken by surprise when I tried going through the automatic doors, I never saw a shop operating like that.

It occurred to me alright they might get the few things I wanted, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

I'm just wondering why they are like that, it's not like it's a place known for crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Alright, I was taken by surprise when I tried going through the automatic doors, I never saw a shop operating like that.

It occurred to me alright they might get the few things I wanted, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

I'm just wondering why they are like that, am I a summer child to ask that question?

Probably because the rampaging drunks and maladjusted that make up a fair proportion of the potential clientele at that time of night don't get in and wreck the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I'm just wondering why they are like that, it's not like it's a place known for crime.

Ohhhhh I wish I didn't know how the World functioned after 23:00.... You lucky lucky man :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

How are you alive, presumably as an adult, in Ireland without having this knowledge?

Surely you forget to breathe sometimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

troyzer wrote:
    How are you alive, presumably as an adult, in Ireland without having this knowledge?

troyzer wrote:
    Surely you forget to breathe sometimes?

Tis the paleo diet.... ( in username) ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

scuby wrote: »
    Tis the paleo diet.... ( in username) ðŸ˜

Palaeo isn't even spelled right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Huge risk in petrol stations been robbed at any time but a much greater risk at night time as much less people around and of course our police force are not to be seen.

Op where have you been????

This is the norm and some areas close even earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The oul pump open shop closed trick.
    That's how they lure ya in.
    (but not into the shop, cos its closed)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's the point?

Having a shop open closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They even do pay for fuel before allowing you to fill at many also after a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I'll tell you something that will really blow your mind.
    Some places ask for you to pay for fuel before you fill:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

A lot of places doing it now...a local garage near me got robbed 3 times last year all between 9.30 and 11 pm when garage closes. Now they close the doors at 9.30 and serve from hatch window. The garage isn’t 24h but close at 11 but only have one person working at a time , so it was safety reasons.
    This is in a small enough country town.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

cml387 wrote: »
    I'll tell you something that will really blow your mind.
    Some places ask for you to pay for fuel before you fill:eek:

Scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I only know of one petrol station shop that stays open 24/7. It became my regular 2am eating spot for a few years. I found out how they were able to stay open when the place filled up with Gards buying donuts every night. The petrol station 50 metres up the road that has bad donuts and no indoor seating for dozens of Gards closes at 10:30 and has a hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I only know of one petrol station shop that stays open 24/7. It became my regular 2am eating spot for a few years. I found out how they were able to stay open when the place filled up with Gards buying donuts every night. The petrol station 50 metres up the road that has bad donuts and no indoor seating for dozens of Gards closes at 10:30 and has a hatch.

Eating doughnuts and plotting how to get at poor innocent motorists no doubt.

Advertisement