Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap automatic top up machines, outside of Dublin

Options
  • 12-12-2018 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just curious as to why Leap automatic top up machines are no where to be seen in Cork City Centre. Not at primary bus stops in town, not even at the bus station.

The only place you can top up your leap card automatically is at the vending machines in Cork Kent Station, and a few of the Commuter stations, that's it.

It just seems strange.

Anyone any ideas why?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're not at bus stops/stations elsewhere either, not that this is a good excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

L1011 wrote: »
    They're not at bus stops/stations elsewhere either, not that this is a good excuse

I believe you can top up Leap on the Luas vending machines however?

It just seems crazy that they don't even have them at the Bus Station!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, although those are only in a relatively small area of the total city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I believe you can top up Leap on the Luas vending machines however?

It just seems crazy that they don't even have them at the Bus Station!

You'd need to get a Luas in Cork first.

You'd need to get a Luas in Cork first.

Nice one - personally whether it be bus, tram or train - all major stops should have ticket machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Pedantic post, your mileage may vary.....

The OP mentions 'automatic top-up' in the thread title but that refers to the system whereby you elect to have your Leap card automatically topped up when the balance goes below a set threshold - parkingtag and certain toll tags work the same way. Does not require access to machines of any sort.

This thread is about the availability (or lack of ) ticket machines where you walk up and manually top-up a Leap card with cash or plastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nice one - personally whether it be bus, tram or train - all major stops should have ticket machines.

My point was that Luas are responsible for their Ticket Machines. If you want them at Bus Stations/Bus Stops, you should be getting onto the operators that provide a service to those locations.

There are very, very few NTA operated top-up machines. Some hospitals have them, that's about it. But they have them and could roll them out more

There are very, very few NTA operated top-up machines. Some hospitals have them, that's about it. But they have them and could roll them out more

Those things need to be somewhere reasonably secure. So you won't see them outside anywhere and if the location is closed, they'll be inaccessible. Even the one on O'Connell Street in Dublin, is in Dublin Bus' window.

It would be useful if retail POS terminals which currently do contactless could also do Leap top-up. Would allow you to top up in cafes, supermarkets and pubs.

• Advertisement

Those things need to be somewhere reasonably secure. So you won't see them outside anywhere and if the location is closed, they'll be inaccessible. Even the one on O'Connell Street in Dublin, is in Dublin Bus' window.

Belfast have them at every stop for their new BRT Glider service. Why can't we do the same? At least for a few city centre stops.

DcWJPvtWkAUt-mV.jpg

Belfast have them at every stop for their new BRT Glider service. Why can't we do the same? At least for a few city centre stops.

The more people use Leap cards, the less need there is for a machine at every stop plus a large number of Dublin city centre stops are at the edge of relatively narrow footpaths like Nassau St. where there simply is no room for machines.

In the early days of the Luas and before Leap cards, I used to dread using outdoor machines in the city centre because the minute you stand at a ticket machine, you're a static target for a drug addict who will stand beside you asking for 'change'.

They've probably done more to encourage the use of Leap cards among Luas travellers than any advertising!

Luas terminals are fully outdoors as are Dublinbikes ones

coylemj wrote: »
    It would be useful if retail POS terminals which currently do contactless could also do Leap top-up. Would allow you to top up in cafes, supermarkets and pubs.

They can, but they need software added and someone to provide that software. That is what Payzone are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

TVMs at luas stops are monitored by 24 hour CCTV so anyone trying to tamper with them will be spotted quite quickly. A TVM in an unmonitored location would be more of a risk.

The things you were taking about are basically just tablets on a plinth. They need to be secured. Or else they'll get destroyed by vandals.

DcWJPvtWkAUt-mV.jpg

So? Doesn't change that the ones luas and Irish rail have, are owned and maintained by them. If you want someone in cork to do it, you need to approach the operators in cork who have leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

DcWJPvtWkAUt-mV.jpg

Glider is not a regular bus service it's operated more like a Luas than a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are there no android phones with nfc in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are there no android phones with nfc in Cork?

Apparently not. And auto topup (which is really the only automatic option anyways) seemingly doesn't work there either.

Poor lambs have to resort to manual topup in Payzone shops ... where they have to actually interact with a shop assistant. Horrors!

• Advertisement

They can, but they need software added and someone to provide that software. That is what Payzone are.

So let me try that again....

It would be useful if retail POS terminals which currently do contactless could also did do Leap top-up. Would allow you to top up in cafes, supermarkets and pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hi all,

Just curious as to why Leap automatic top up machines are no where to be seen in Cork City Centre. Not at primary bus stops in town, not even at the bus station.

The only place you can top up your leap card automatically is at the vending machines in Cork Kent Station, and a few of the Commuter stations, that's it.

It just seems strange.

Anyone any ideas why?

Thanks!

Download the app, I never use them.

So let me try that again....

It would be useful if retail POS terminals which currently do contactless could also did do Leap top-up. Would allow you to top up in cafes, supermarkets and pubs.

They use a peripheral device in payzone to connect to the card. So I suspect that may not be possible without those retailers receiving one also. That device isn't used for contactless transactions.

Download the app, I never use them.

The app works only when it wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

In my experience, the apps problems seem to be related to specific phones. Anyone who has a phone that it works with has no problem with the app at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've had issues with the app the odd time over the years but thankfully it's been pretty rare.

I've had issues with the app the odd time over the years but thankfully it's been pretty rare.

I have a GALAXY S9 and it always worked fine before the last few updates. Now it's on and off unfortunately.

The NFC top-up app doesn't work for me unless I'm on Wi-Fi.

Which makes it pretty useless when you're out and about or about to hop on a bus and discover you need to top up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have a GALAXY S9 and it always worked fine before the last few updates. Now it's on and off unfortunately.

Could it be the card? Maybe get a new card and see if that works.

It works grand for me on mobile data.

Advertisement