Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation

Options
  • 13-12-2018 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Is 50mm insulated slab on internal wall overkill if i have 150mm cavity insulation? My father and i have different opinions. He thinks as soon as the heat goes through the block its lost. I think 150mm in the wall is enough that insulation is alot better now than when he built

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

brianmax88 wrote: »
    Is 50mm insulated slab on internal wall overkill if i have 150mm cavity insulation? My father and i have different opinions. He thinks as soon as the heat goes through the block its lost. I think 150mm in the wall is enough that insulation is alot better now than when he built

The insulated board would cause more problems than it would solve.

You're right, he's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭brianmax88

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The insulated board would cause more problems than it would solve.

You're right, he's wrong.

What problems would it create? Other than been a nightmare fixing into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Depends on the type of insulation. 150mm beads isn't massive as it's a thermal conductivity of about 0.033w/m.K while 150mm of Kingspan or similar PIR is better at about 0.020 w/m.K (lower is better)

If it's beads and you're looking at pumping the cavity check if you can go to the 200mm cavity. I don't like the idea of just meeting the regulations and would like to see more if possible. Insulation can be difficult to add later and it's the one part of a building that can pay for itself over time (up to a point as going overkill may never make a return).

The issue with the insulated plasterboard is it moves the condensation due point inwards. Basically moisture on the air condenses at some point when it cools as it moves outside through the wall. At some point it will turn to water and you want this point to be close to the outside. I doubt it's an issue if you've a 150mm filed cavity but the likes of Kingspan or Xtratherm (or whoever you were thinking of getting the insulated plasterboard slabs from) would be able to do an interstitial condensation risk analysis assessment for you for peace of mind.

Dudda wrote: »
    Depends on the type of insulation. 150mm beads isn't massive as it's a thermal conductivity of about 0.033w/m.K while 150mm of Kingspan or similar PIR is better at about 0.020 w/m.K (lower is better)

If it's beads and you're looking at pumping the cavity check if you can go to the 200mm cavity. I don't like the idea of just meeting the regulations and would like to see more if possible. Insulation can be difficult to add later and it's the one part of a building that can pay for itself over time (up to a point as going overkill may never make a return).

The issue with the insulated plasterboard is it moves the condensation due point inwards. Basically moisture on the air condenses at some point when it cools as it moves outside through the wall. At some point it will turn to water and you want this point to be close to the outside. I doubt it's an issue if you've a 150mm filed cavity but the likes of Kingspan or Xtratherm (or whoever you were thinking of getting the insulated plasterboard slabs from) would be able to do an interstitial condensation risk analysis assessment for you for peace of mind.

I will be going for 150mm xtratherm in the cavity. The stuff with the plastic or whatever it is on the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I will be going for 150mm xtratherm in the cavity. The stuff with the plastic or whatever it is on the outside

Oh that's fine so. Ya the stuff on the outside allows moisture out. What you have planned so is grand and don't need anything inside.

• Advertisement

Dudda wrote: »
    Oh that's fine so. Ya the stuff on the outside allows moisture out. What you have planned so is grand and don't need anything inside.

Thanks i dont want to be spending money if itos not needed. It will be tight enough as it is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Quality control of the cavity insulation install is essential. Assuming this as above drylining is not necessary - and anyway not continuous. I’d be more concern with air-tightness, have you looked at this, did the energizer provide construction details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

BryanF wrote: »
    Quality control of the cavity insulation install is essential. Assuming this as above drylining is not necessary - and anyway not continuous. I’d be more concern with air-tightness, have you looked at this, did the energizer provide construction details?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecctpF0Nf8c
    sorry bryan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

* engineer

Thanks dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

vs
    :confused:

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CavityTherm?

http://www.cavitytherm.com/why-choose-cavitytherm/added-assurance/

Engineered gaps on the exterior face seems like a recipe for thermal looping, but what would I know. :D

I guess the top of the cavity would be closed...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lumen wrote: »
    CavityTherm?

http://www.cavitytherm.com/why-choose-cavitytherm/added-assurance/

Engineered gaps on the exterior face seems like a recipe for thermal looping, but what would I know. :D

I guess the top of the cavity would be closed...

Thermal looping only occurs on the warm side ;)

Advertisement