Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Nutritionist

• 11-12-2018 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭

We are having trouble getting girl dog to take her meds, vet recommended putting it in her food but as that was dried..... I found a receipt on-line to make her own and its kind of working, but I'm worried about how balanced it is as its all she eats.

Anyone know if there is anyone that could help us with this?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

What meds is she taking?
    How many tablets?

What receipe are you using for home cooked food?

What breed / age please?

Have you tried .. putting the meds in cream cheese, calvitta triangles or peanut butter (small amounts , no plam oil) .. or rolled up slice of ham / turkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Have you considered feeding raw? You can purchase all the meals pre made / frozen but 100% complete?

Super way to put meds into also

I do it daily with my guys tablets

You could just add a touch of warm water to her dry food to wet it and soften it up and then stick the tablet in that. Is it a good idea to change her food now if she's unwell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could always crush the tablets too. What I do if tablets are being spit out is go say treat- treat - w/tablet - treat to trick them. Bailey get's tablets every day and I use the sausage dog treats from lidl to hide them in. Raspberries work great too lol :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ours always cops eventually what we're doing and learns to spit the food out, remove the tablet and eat the rest.

I even tried crushing it. Same deal, worked for a couple of days until she realised and then just refused the food entirely.

Eventually I just learned how to place the pill at the back of her mouth and keep her mouth clamped shut until she swallowed. Then she gets a treat.

Sounds a bit cruel, but the dog gets tablets constantly and we don't have the time (or the resources) to fight over each one for ten minutes and keep inventing new ways to trick her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can get things called pill pockets. They're like soft pliable dog treats with a hole in that you put the pill into and then squeeze them shut. If you have a dog that likes treats they'll probably swallow them whole without realizing there's anything in them.

We have a cat on several meds that would leave us in tatters if we tried to put them in her mouth so we put them in her food. The trick is to a) wait until she's really hungry and b) give her the minimum amount of food we an get away with in one go. That way she eats it all and doesn't pick at it and end up leaving half of it. That may also work for a dog, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

I wrap tablets in a piece of ham for my dog, she just swallows it hole thinking it's a treat. For the cats, i crush the tablets between two spoons and mix it in with wet food given to them when they are hungry only.

For the very difficult cats (and i assume could be used on a dog) you can buy a pill popper thing which you insert in to the animals mouth and it discharges the tablet at the back of the animals mouth so they have no choice but to swallow it...i don't recommend this method unless there is no other choice as it takes practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP Ive fed my dogs home-cooked for years. They've always LOVED their food, and its cheaper, cleaner and nicer at the end of the day. I make up a big batch once/week and put the lot into big tupperwares in the fridge.
    Basically, meat+brown rice+an odd veggie+water boiled (if Im using chicken legs/thighs - nice and cheap - I boil with bones in, and strip the meat from the bones before chopping up) I alternate for variety with Fish/potatoes/veggie - I use frozen white fish fillets (also cheap). To their diet, I add salmon oil, give them the odd tin of sardines, and a couple of raw chicken wings/week (anal glands) I also give them a nice big raw bone a couple times/week.

My current dog is on 3 tables/day. I wrap each tablet in a bit of meat, alternate really quickly a piece of meat without a tablet, then piece of meat with tablet. Make it rushed and fun with lots of "quick! quick! quick!" type noises, zooming the treat around his head so he has to be super-alert! Older dog was on 2 tablets/day - not so foody, if he 'saw' me putting the tablet in the treat he'd work it out of the treat in his mouth :rolleyes: Make sure not to 'differentiate' between the treats with tablets and those without!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Bredabe

cocker5 wrote: »
    What meds is she taking?
    How many tablets?

What receipe are you using for home cooked food?

What breed / age please?

Have you tried .. putting the meds in cream cheese, calvitta triangles or peanut butter (small amounts , no plam oil) .. or rolled up slice of ham / turkey?
    She takes once oval tablet in the am, she has gotten smart to the meat/pill pocker/cheese/peanut butter things.

The biggest issue is that she is supposed to eat about 90 grams of special food to support her liver, she doesn't like it. This is where the vet recommended putting that into her food.
    We have some success with this, but I'm concerned the white meat/pasta combo isn't balanced.
    To add to it, her 'daddy' who is doing the cooking for this food, is driven by his own likes or dislikes and lack of cooking experience.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You could just add a touch of warm water to her dry food to wet it and soften it up and then stick the tablet in that. Is it a good idea to change her food now if she's unwell?

Only thing is the tablet flavour kinda seeps into the food and if it's a yokky tablet the dog turns their nose up at all the food?

boomerang wrote: »
    Only thing is the tablet flavour kinda seeps into the food and if it's a yokky tablet the dog turns their nose up at all the food?

Sorry I only saw your reply to me now. That's a very good point. Id just throw it in right at the end just before you feed, as it's easier to hide in the softer food than in dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Have you tried the easypill dog stuff? I use it for my dog, works pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh wait I saw a video a while ago with diy pill pockets -https://m.facebook.com/doctor.karen.becker/videos/10154583455042748/

Advertisement