Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting tv bracket to metal wall studs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So I have the following bracket

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AYBLPNA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last night went to mount it to the wall in the apartment and turns out we have metal studs running through the wall not wooden ones

What is the best method for mounting to the metal studs?

Or should I get some wall anchors and just do it into the plasterboard and not on the studs?
    (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D98057I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

That's for a large TV so if you were to just mount it to plasterboard you would find the TV down on the floor fairly quickly.
    I'd be thinking you need to get a timber panel into the wall. What the wall make up? Is it just stud or is there a solid wall behind it, what's the other side of the wall?

Edit : Sorry didn't look at your proposed anchors. They seem substantial but is there a wall behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

mickdw wrote: »
    That's for a large TV so if you were to just mount it to plasterboard you would find the TV down on the floor fairly quickly.
    I'd be thinking you need to get a timber panel into the wall. What the wall make up? Is it just stud or is there a solid wall behind it, what's the other side of the wall?

Edit : Sorry didn't look at your proposed anchors. They seem substantial but is there a wall behind.

The TV is 49 inch and weigh 10KG

The is another room on the other side of the wall its not solid, the wall is 18 inches thick. Plasterboard on both sides with some insulation in between. Metal studs are 14 inches apart.

I am considering using these type of toggle into the metal stud on each corner to hold it and the plasterboard wall anchor in the middle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kgC7vfhnOE) will they be sufficient do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

If your intention is to have the tv extended, and be twisting and turning from time to time, I’d be happier grabbing at least one stud. If it was going to be a stationary setup (guessing not, with the cantilever bracket), then hollow anchors to the plasterboard will be more than enough at that weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Hi all,

sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I found myself in similar problem like billybonkers. Although, I don't have any wooden/metal studs at all to mount the TV to :D

So similar to billy bonkers I bought THIS bracket from Amazon to carry ~11kg 50" TV.

TV would be mounted on the outer insulated wall that apparently doesn't have any studs. By removing the skirting board all I could see was 9.5mm plasterboard, followed by ~55mm aeroboard and then I presume the first (inner) concrete block of the double cavity wall.

Now, I wanted to ask you guys if you could advise me on how to safely mount that TV+bracket on that insulated wall without me coming one day back home only to find TV, bracket, plaster wall and insulation board all together on the floor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I saw these on the counter in the Builder providers last week, Seem to be a new type of fitting but very well designed, Carries up to 180Kg. (more than enough for several Televisions.

Plenty of information on them online from what i can tell.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/grip-it-assorted-plasterboard-fixings-32-piece-set.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Thanks!

Yeah the rating definitely sounds great. The other method I found was that people were using space plug + really long screws (120, 150mm). That way the screws were in the concrete block, while the bracket was held by the space plugs + plasterboard instead of plaster board itself.

Since the TV is going to be 99% in the fully extended position (away from the wall) I definitely would like to make it right the first time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

Fwarder wrote: »
    Thanks!

Yeah the rating definitely sounds great. The other method I found was that people were using space plug + really long screws (120, 150mm). That way the screws were in the concrete block, while the bracket was held by the space plugs + plasterboard instead of plaster board itself.

Since the TV is going to be 99% in the fully extended position (away from the wall) I definitely would like to make it right the first time :)

Personally I would just use brick screws.

I've used gripits...they're ok but I'm not overly impressed. You have the option to mount it to something solid so I would do that.

jhenno78 wrote: »
    Personally I would just use brick screws.

I've used gripits...they're ok but I'm not overly impressed. You have the option to mount it to something solid so I would do that.

Specifically what part didn't work for you

listermint wrote: »
    Specifically what part didn't work for you

Hi, for the right application they'll be perfect - ie. screwing something tight against a wall with only downward load.

For something like the above where the fixings on the top of the bracket are pulling away from the wall with a heavy load I would be sceptical as the screws inside the gripit are a tad flimsy. They could be the best option in some cases, but I don't think they are here.

Their main problem(which in fairness, doesn't apply here) is that although they're advertised as being suitable for hanging things, they just aren't (ie. any time when you put the screw into the wall, letting it stand out a certain distance, then hang something on it - like hanging a picture). The way they work, the screw has to be tightened firmly to compress the fitting together, otherwise the fitting is just sitting in the hole, not fixed in any way.

Minor gripes:
    big hole in wall.
    you need to buy a special tool to use them with insulated slabs.
    they're 15mm - not exactly a common size of drill bit.

jhenno78 wrote: »
    Hi, for the right application they'll be perfect - ie. screwing something tight against a wall with only downward load.

For something like the above where the fixings on the top of the bracket are pulling away from the wall with a heavy load I would be sceptical as the screws inside the gripit are a tad flimsy. They could be the best option in some cases, but I don't think they are here.

Their main problem(which in fairness, doesn't apply here) is that although they're advertised as being suitable for hanging things, they just aren't (ie. any time when you put the screw into the wall, letting it stand out a certain distance, then hang something on it - like hanging a picture). The way they work, the screw has to be tightened firmly to compress the fitting together, otherwise the fitting is just sitting in the hole, not fixed in any way.

Minor gripes:
    big hole in wall.
    you need to buy a special tool to use them with insulated slabs.
    they're 15mm - not exactly a common size of drill bit.

They sound perfect. You shouldn't be hanging something heavy away from the wall so that blows that away. It should be compressed against the wall. Like all TV brackets actually are.

And your meant to use a spade bit for drilling the hole. Not a drill bit....

• Advertisement

They sound perfect. You shouldn't be hanging something heavy away from the wall so that blows that away. It should be compressed against the wall. Like all TV brackets actually are.

You've kind of mixed the two points together there. A tv bracket will pull away from the wall at the the top. These look noticeably weaker there but admittedly could still work - if I absolutely had to mount a tv bracket it an exact spot without studs or brick behind then I'd use...toggle bolts, but if I didn't have them I'd consider gripits

RE: hanging.
    It's not that the won't take heavy things or a matter of how far out from the wall the screw is poking, it's they don't work at all without something to compress against the wall. Hanging just isn't an option.

As I said, they have their uses, just not nearly as many as they advertise.
    And your meant to use a spade bit for drilling the hole. Not a drill bit....
    ...thanks. Point is that spade bits usually come in even numbered sizes. Sure you can get a 15, but most people will have sets with 14, 16, 18 etc. and it's annoying to have to go get a (harder to find) bit specifically for these.

Anyway, here's a fun video testing different options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

billybonkers, bear in mind that when you fix something on to a partition/ wall, if it is pulled off or falls off it can have severe consequences for the persons it falls down on.

You stated that the partition is 18 “ thick (450 mm) and also that the metal studs are 14” apart.

I cannot understand why the partition is more than 130 mm thick. Studs - 70 to 100 mm + 2x 12 mm slabs and 2x 3 mm plaster.

These studs are usually 400 mm centre to centre. Approx 350 mm between.

A plaster slab cannot safety support a TV bracket and tv, and therefore the bracket must be secure to the studs.

The tv brackets are manufactured to suit studs at 400 mm centres. See the photo/ diagram attached.

The centres between the screw slots (holes) are 416 mm apart as can be seen in the diagram.

If I was fixing this tv bracket on to the vertical metal studs, I would secure it on the top bracket at each side with 2 Nr 4.5 mm (gauge) (diameter of the thread of the screws) x 45 mm long Stainless Steel screws for metal. (4 screws)

I would drill a 1mm pilot hole in the metal stud, drive in the screws with a cordless drill most of the way, and tighten the screws with a screwdriver.

I would not fit any fixings for plasterboard slabs in to metal studs.

Fit 1 Nr screw to each stud for the lower bracket. (2 screws)

I would normally mount the tv to be approx 42 “ from the floor to the centre of the screen. I would not mount the tv up high as it will be uncomfortable to watch and may cause pains in the neck from tilting the head to look up.

Alternatively, get 25 mm thick plywood 450 high by 550 wide, painted the colour of the wall. Secure the plywood at each side to the each metal studs with 8 Nr 50 mm long screws (as above) (16 screws). Fix the top tv bracket to the plywood with 4 Nr 50 mm screws and the lower bracket with 2 Nr 50 mm screws.

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

nvm old thread.

Advertisement