Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lights through insulated plasterboard

Options
  • 09-12-2018 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I'm about to put about 10x LED lights into (as yes uninstalled) insulated plasterboard sheets. The thought of the air leakage abhors me, but I can't think how I can fit an insulated and draughtproof cup above them. I'll have other LEDs, with access above so that's an easy retrofit.

Any ideas, or is there a proprietary umbrella type gadget I could fit through the hole before the light fitting goes in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Use fire ratted down lighters, there's also higher grade sealed units if air tightness is a requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Google downlighter shrouds. I've used them but they seem to be on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Google downlighter shrouds. I've used them but they seem to be on the way out.

Why would they be on the way out ?

listermint wrote: »
    Why would they be on the way out ?

I said they seem to be on the way out. Haven't come across them in an age.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've answered this a couple of times in the electrical forum.
    You can get an insulated downlight

I have them. I checked the performance using a thermal camera.

Aurora lighting used to make them

My one's have clips for 50mm thermal board fitted too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I was going to use downlighter shrouds in my attic but there was such a mess of wires, random gaps and holes, in the end I just put a layer of breather membrane over the first 100m of loft roll and then another 200mm on top.

I ought to get hold of a thermal camera to see the results. Are they rentable?

I've seen brown ceramic flowerpots used. Wired in through the holes on the bottom and vented too when upside down over the light!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Wartburg

You need a down light cover for retrofit, as attached or alternatively a completely sealed LED unit.

I only installed mine the day before yesterday. Wanted to see if they would make a difference.

Have a bungalow. Installed downlighters about 6 weeks ago after full plasterboard and skim. New kitchen room 8 downlighters. Once done had Jetstream of air from each downlighters into attic space.

So bought 8 IKEA terracotta pots they are about 120mm round and about 160 tall. Notched out a gap on the rim with angle grinder for cables to slot in and fixed the pots down with high temp silicone.

Superb job. Left it a day or so to be sure but the difference is stark . Night and day. The room is retaining the heat that's put in and it's just a pleasant place to be in. Very happy . And cheap good solution

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's interesting. One of the reasons I didn't buy the "loft lid" covers from the builders providers was that they're absolutely massive (222 x 162 x 152mm) compared to my tiny fire resistant LEDs.

Would Tek 7 do the same job as high temp silicone?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    That's interesting. One of the reasons I didn't buy the "loft lid" covers from the builders providers was that they're absolutely massive (222 x 162 x 152mm) compared to my tiny fire resistant LEDs.

Would Tek 7 do the same job as high temp silicone?

Read the Temp on the side, im not sure what it is as dont have Tech7 to hand. Great stuff that, but commands the price :)

I used large ones as i have coffin boxes above each light for the connections (regs) so the coffin boxes are under the pot too. Leds are low power and next to no heat so their is very little heat coming out of the downlighter. Just mainly did it for the AirBlockage and the terracotta just in case of any heat.

Also the pots are vastly cheaper than any high temp plastic covers i looked at and terracotta is superior in temps too.

Advertisement