Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Boiler not heating the copper cylinder as hot as it used to - suggestions?

• 04-12-2018 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I have a gas-fired central heating system.
    Baxi Solo 3 Boiler driving 12 rads.

My copper cylinder/hot tank has an Immersion heater (bath/sink) as well as the coil (calorifier?) with hot water from the boiler.
    (see attached pic)

In summer, I can turn off the zone for the rads using a switch near the boiler. This allows the boiler to just heat the hot tank.
    It does a good job - very hot tankful of water, even when the boiler only comes on for a few 30 minute segments during the day/night.

In winter the boiler drives both the rads and the hot tank.
    Rads get fine and hot and heat the house correctly.
    However recently I've noticed that the hot tank does not get very hot at all - no matter how long the heating is left on for.
    Certainly warmer than lukewarm, but not as hot as I'd like it.
    I'm having to top it up by running the immersion for 15-20 minutes.
    I don't recall having this issue in the winter before.

Is there anything I should check or tweak before calling a plumber?
    There's a return valve in the hot press that comes from the coil in the tank I think.
    I assume this should be fully opened to allow maximum flow of hot water to/from the boiler?

There's also a small green Wilo pump next to my boiler (circulating pump?)
    It has 3 speed settings - it's on 3 - the highest flow rate. I assume this is correct.

Anything else to check?

Thanks,
    MtM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

The balance valve coming off cylinder coil is normally 1 1/2 revolutions open from the closed position.What position is your balance valve from the closed position approx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

agusta wrote: »
    The balance valve coming off cylinder coil is normally 1 1/2 revolutions open from the closed position.What position is your balance valve from the closed position approx

Thanks augusta

It's fully open - I figured it should be open to allow the hot water to circulate through the coil and heat the tank - and if it's closed the boiler does not heat the tank.
    Maybe that's the problem and my thinking is flawed :o

MtM

If the balance valve is fully open,the heat from the boiler should pretty much go to the cylinder first.Does it heat ok when the hot water is on only

If the balance valve is fully open,the heat from the boiler should pretty much go to the cylinder first.Does it heat ok when the hot water is on only

Yes, in the summer, the rads are zoned off, the boiler only heats the cylinder via the coil - and does a good job.

What might this scenario suggest?

you could test the hot water zone in its own and see what you get.things can change since the summer.is it a pressurized system or do you have a small tank in the attic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭John.G

Yes, in the summer, the rads are zoned off, the boiler only heats the cylinder via the coil - and does a good job.

What might this scenario suggest?

You seem to be saying that the water is all ways circulating through the cylinder coil and that the only zone valve is the one for the rads, normally the cylinder coil would have its own zone valve wired in series with a cylinder thermostat that would normally be set at 60C.

You just may have a system like this (which I have never seen) https://www.plumberparts.co.uk/advice/heating-systems/y-plan-heating-system

you could test the hot water zone in its own and see what you get.things can change since the summer.is it a pressurized system or do you have a small tank in the attic

There's a small tank in the attic for the system.

Did you check to see how much water is in the small tank in the attic and that the float valve is working freely.if the copper cylinder is upstairs and higher than the rads ,its the first affected if water content is slightly low

Did you check to see how much water is in the small tank in the attic and that the float valve is working freely.if the copper cylinder is upstairs and higher than the rads ,its the first affected if water content is slightly low

Just checked the small tank there now - water seems to be at normal level and float valve operates when I push float down.

As john was saying,can you run the hot water separate from the rads and see how it works then

• Advertisement

As john was saying,can you run the hot water separate from the rads and see how it works then

Not clear to me at least the system configuration but a few things to check:

IF the hot water has its own zone valve then check that this is opening/opening fully. Some zoned systems (see link above) may be "Y" plan, very unlikely but easy to check out. Some zoned systems have a separate pump for each zone (no motorized valve) IF so check that the associated pump is running. All systems above should be wired in series with a cylinder thermostat, IF so check thermostat setpoint (60C). Also just feel the copper flow and return pipe close to the cylinder, the flow pipe should be almost as hot as the boiler flow, the cylinder return should be cooler, if very cold it might suggest a circulation problem, if very hot it might suggest that the coil has limescale, unlikely as this would happen gradually and this problem seems to have been recent/sudden?
    One other thing maybe worth re checking is the cylinder return balancing valve which is probably a gate valve, IF it is fully open as stated then shut it, it should take 4 to 5 full turns (clockwise) to do this, then re open it, again 4 to 5 turns (anticlockwise) to achieve this.
    Can't offer any other obvious things to check at the moment.

Hi Mike,
    Any update/fix for your problem?.

Hi folks, sorry for the delay.
    I think it is better. I opened and closed the motorised valve next to the boiler a few times by cycling the power while the heating system was running - in case it was stuck partially open/closed. This one controls the flow to the rads in my system.
    In the hotpress, I also closed the return balancing valve fully, then opened it 2 or 3 turns.
    I bled one rad in the attic that had a very tiny cold spot along the top.
    I'll keep an eye on it - cold weather coming :-)

Advertisement