Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing insulation from fridge freezer

Options
  • 28-11-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I've got a new fridge freezer which I need to swap the doors on.
    Unfortunately the hinge sockets on the relocation side are clogged with insulation and I can't get access to the threads.

I've tried scraping it out but it is not working.

Is there anything I can use on the insulation to dissolve or remove it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get it repaired/replaced if it's new?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I contacted them and they told me to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Screw through the insulation.
    On many fridges the expanded foam fills the holes and rather than scrape it out of the hole it's easier to just remove the extraneous foam to give a smooth surface over the holes and then screwing into the hole.

I've tried that, but I can't get the threads to catch. I need to remove some to just get it to catch.
    I'm working solo on this which makes it a bit more difficult.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've tried that, but I can't get the threads to catch. I need to remove some to just get it to catch.
    I'm working solo on this which makes it a bit more difficult.

Any suggestions?

Fit screws without the hinge assembly or door 1st. That way you can ensure the thread grips and clears.
    When that's done then remove and fit hinge and door.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Fit screws without the hinge assembly or door 1st. That way you can ensure the thread grips and clears.
    When that's done then remove and fit hinge and door.

That's what I've been trying. Its a complete balls up. Screw just will not catch.

Acetone?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How close are the screws to catching?

Maybe try heating the tip of the screw? Punch it through a strip of light cardboard first. At your own risk, of course!

A heated small screwdriver might clear the screw hole a bit either, or a soldering iron with a small tip. Watch for fumes whatever you try.

Have you googled the issue or checked the manufacturer's website?

I would not be happy with what you have been told. The door reversal should be simple, and would be except for this fault, which I would class as a manufacturing fault. Item is not fit for purpose if you cannot reverse the door as designed.

Edit: Not a pro. Proceed at your own risk. :eek: :)

Not your ornery onager

I've contacted them with a photo of the problem, but they didn't seem to heed that I said I could not get the screw to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is it actually a screw or is it a bolt, i.e. with a point to it or a flat end? Could you put up the same photo you sent them including the screws?

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    A heated small screwdriver might clear the screw hole

I done this and we are in business now. Not very impressed with it. Seems like very sloppy manufacturing. It was a complete PITA to resolve and on to it that the paint is thinner than fresh air - I can see rub marks on the paint from where the packaging rubbed against it.

Alun wrote: »
    Is it actually a screw or is it a bolt, i.e. with a point to it or a flat end? Could you put up the same photo you sent them including the screws?
    Just seen this. It was a bolt which had a tapered/pointed end minus the thread.

Advertisement