Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUSI grant for part-time Masters

• 22-06-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Would I be right in saying that there is no grant available for doing a part-time Masters course? I'd be applying as an independent student, I am on disability allowance, my previous qualification was a Level 8 degree. Seems a bit unfair that grants are only available for full-time courses, maybe I'm misinterpreting that, could someone clarify? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

A complete bloody farce is what it is, no rhyme or reason to it at all! You can't get jobseekers or any sort of allowance if you do a full-time masters, but then you can't get a grant if you do a part-time one, so you're just screwed again if you don't have money. I had my course all ready to start and just found this out today as SUSI prevented me from filling my form, I was under the impression that as long as you were progressing it would be paid. I'm utterly mystified at how this is supposed to make any sense.

The logic must be something like "if they're dedicating themselves full time to their studies we'll pay the fees as then they can't work at the same time"... but we are dedicating ourselves to it, it's just going to take longer, it's the same overall work and time spent on it! It gives a chance to try to work in between and have something to fall back on if we don't get it or it doesn't work out in the mean time. If they're doing it intentionally to stop people from taking welfare and getting a part-time grant at the same time, then they're not acting in good faith - there are already systems in place to stop welfare abuse, noone is trying to pull a fast one, they just don't want to starve. I mean they won't even pay a half, or anything at all. It defies common sense and logic, baffling how they justify it. I think I'm going to make an inquiry about what possible explanation they have for this, I'll post it back here if I get a response.

It seems like just another case of picking on the weakest in society before they have a chance to get to their feet, even when they're trying to better themselves for the increasingly competitive workforce. Meanwhile the people who are already wealthy are running away laughing way ahead again.

Advertisement