Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobility Issues but Not Disabled

Options
  • 04-07-2018 1:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this isn't the right place but i wanted to know what others thought.

For 3-4 years I have had hip pain, i assumed arthritis and waited for diagnosis. After MRI it is not arthritis and I have oedema, swelling and a stress fracture of the femoral head (that's the ball joint is it not ??).

Anyway, last few months I have had associated mobility issues. Falling, tripping, fear of falling on certain surfaces etc.

I have noticed the lack of empathy from people - when using the lift for one floor (as I have fallen down the stairs a few times) I get called lazy.

Someone saw me limping along the LUAS platform and stood up for me. A fellow passenger sniggered "being fat is a disease now eh ?". I could go on.

I'd never declare myself disabled. I can manage, with limitations and my heart goes out to those who cannot.

Do the disabled (especially those with a hidden condition) go through this mean behaviour from others ? I have found it really upsetting at times and I would hate for it to be widespread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This is more an issue of human race at large. They rarely have empathy for things, they have no direct experience of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

beauf wrote: »
    This is more an issue of human race at large. They rarely have empathy for things, they have no direct experience of.

Very sad then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some people obviously are very empathetic make good nurses doctors and carers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Would never look down or laugh at anyone who I would see struggling. Would give up my seat for anyone disabled elderly or heavily pregnant without a thought and have told my teenagers to do the same. Wont kill me to stand on the bus for 10 or 15 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Do the disabled (especially those with a hidden condition) go through this mean behaviour from others ? I have found it really upsetting at times and I would hate for it to be widespread.

I get it a lot cause I'm young and look healthy so when i can't stand or I limp or use my crutches sometimes. Some people just aren't understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Shpud2 wrote: »
    I get it a lot cause I'm young and look healthy so when i can't stand or I limp or use my crutches sometimes. Some people just aren't understanding.

My sympathies. I had a stumble at the station this morning, thankfully next to a rail and there was open sniggering.

I'm a big girl and can take it but some may not be so lucky.

Advertisement