Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rick Ross

Options
  • 15-07-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Some nice beats on his new LP - shame he still can't rap. The production on 'Aston Martin Music' for example is :pac: .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

ye i got the album yesterday it leaked a few days ago.

its an ok album nothing special, in fairness orizio he is a good rapper but he's just a clown in general a total fraud, but his music is good the majority of the time though.

the album as a whole is not worth buying a couple of good tracks but as usual he relys heavily on features from other artists, only 11 tracks on it too which is a bit disapointing.

the fact he's claiming to be biggie in the flesh in the "free mason" track is a joke, he has diddy the leach in his ear too much hyping him up to be like biggie.

was biggie ever a c.o? lol

the fact he was ever compared to him is a slap in the face to hip hop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Rick Ross has become a decent rapper in the last two albums. Deeper Than Rap was one of my favorite albums of 2009. His production is so good he can get away with a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

ye i got the album yesterday it leaked a few days ago.

its an ok album nothing special, in fairness orizio he is a good rapper but he's just a clown in general a total fraud, but his music is good the majority of the time though.

the album as a whole is not worth buying a couple of good tracks but as usual he relys heavily on features from other artists, only 11 tracks on it too which is a bit disapointing.

the fact he's claiming to be biggie in the flesh in the "free mason" track is a joke, he has diddy the leach in his ear too much hyping him up to be like biggie.

was biggie ever a c.o? lol

the fact he was ever compared to him is a slap in the face to hip hop

Ah yes, because all rappers are what they claim to be! Honestly, are any of these gangsta rappers what they claim to be? No - if they were, they'd be locked up or dead by now. I couldn't give a **** what rick ross did before he was a rapper.

I mean, do you really listen to rick ross for the content of his lyrics?

Saigon did a great interview with XXL a few weeks ago, talking about the "realness" of these rappers and how they develop their characters. they all put an image, even conscious guys like kweli. none of this is real

floggg wrote: »
    Ah yes, because all rappers are what they claim to be! Honestly, are any of these gangsta rappers what they claim to be? No - if they were, they'd be locked up or dead by now. I couldn't give a **** what rick ross did before he was a rapper.

I mean, do you really listen to rick ross for the content of his lyrics?

Saigon did a great interview with XXL a few weeks ago, talking about the "realness" of these rappers and how they develop their characters. they all put an image, even conscious guys like kweli. none of this is real

ye i do listen to the content of his lyrics as i would any rapper, most fans of hip hop would say the lyrics are everything thats what hip hop is all about.

there is real and fake you cant label all rappers with the same tag.

do you think 2pac was fake? biggie, eazy e etc were they not what they were claiming to be?

im on about when you have a rapper as fake as rick ross who rapped about another man's life ( freeway ricky ross ) and denied several times he was a c.o and eventually to crumble and imithe it like a muppet.

i like some of his music but as i said as a person he is a muppet the laughing stock of hip hop at one time and still really is, have you heard some of the interviews with this man he can barely string an answer together when he's put on the spot about his past life. its not like he can say he was shot or locked up or as he made out a drug dealer who made millions:D he was actually a correctional officer , thats why he is one of the biggest frauds in hip hop history.

i know as you said you dont give a f*** ,but flogg at lot of people do, especially when he's compared to biggie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do belive at one stage most of these rappers were gangsta's but when you get rich etc you dont need to be gangsta or in the streets as they call it, but they still rap about it, it doesnt make them fake its the buisness they got into its called gangsta rap! rappers who are tagged as gangsta rappers rap about gangsta like storys etc.

you cant say hip isnt real, theres real and fake as in anything really

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just waiding in here with my €0.02....

Ice Cube was a well educated college graduate before he joined NWA.
    Dr. Dre was in the music industry, but was a sequined wearing dancer/DJ. By no means where either of them Gangsters but assumed a personna to rebel against convension along with the rest of NWA. The same cant be said for the rest of the members as there are some shady backgrounds there.
    As for 2pac, he developed a personna for recording and later for the media, the guy was really smart and used that to excel his career. I think he got more than he bargained for when teaming up with Death Row.

Rick Ross may have borrowed from Freeway Rick Ross but this is nothing different to what artists in the history of hip hop, actually, the history of modern music have been doing.
    Even the same can be said about Eminem, on his first album he was a battle rapper, then on his next album he completely changed, suspiciously sounding alot like Chino XL.

As i said, this happens in all music genres, it even defines music genres. Death Metal came about because alot of rock band members in the 70's where interested in the occult or magick...Led Zep, The Stones....other bands seen how people where drawn to this and used it to make music about dark matter.

After the above rant, i think i should finish off by saying i dont like Rick Ross and wont go out of my way to listen to the album

• Advertisement

Rapping about guns you've never shot or cocaine you've never slung is a cornerstone of hip hop at this stage. I'm even starting to grow suspicious that the Sugarhill Gang probably attended some parties that were neither rockin' or groovin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

he is a good rapper but he's just a clown in general a total fraud
    he was actually a correctional officer , thats why he is one of the biggest frauds in hip hop history.

Who cares? Seriously?

Orizio wrote: »
    The production on 'Aston Martin Music' for example is :pac: .

Have to admit I really like the beat on Aston Martin music, nice and chill.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Who cares? Seriously?

i obviously do pretty as do a lot of people,

why do you always pick arguements with me honestly pi** off your like my shadow on this hip hop section.

we were on the topic frauds in hip hop and rappers being fake in general no need to butt in like that typical

i obviously do pretty as do a lot of people

The topic was Rick Ross' new album. You went off-topic by bringing up the correctional officer thing. It has nothing to do with the music on the album. That makes it off-topic. You're basically saying that he is a good rapper but because he worked in law enforcement (which "real" hip-hop fans consider "uncool" :rolleyes: ) nearly 20 years ago you can't like the album.

On the other hand 50 Cent brings out absolute drivel and you eat it up because he got shot 30 times which makes him a "real gangster" and that makes him OK to like :confused:

I like music for what it is - music. I don't care what gang Game/Snoop/Lil Wayne is affiliated with, what upper middle class neighborhood Drake grew up in or Eminems problems with his mother. You are prejudice towards Ross because he was a CO and you will never be able to accept him because of it. You don't like him because he ripped off Freeway? What about Kelvin Martin, the real (original) "50 Cent"?

Grow up.

• Advertisement

The topic was Rick Ross' new album. You went off-topic by bringing up the correctional officer thing. It has nothing to do with the music on the album. That makes it off-topic. You're basically saying that he is a good rapper but because he worked in law enforcement (which "real" hip-hop fans consider "uncool" :rolleyes: ) nearly 20 years ago you can't like the album.

On the other hand 50 Cent brings out absolute drivel and you eat it up because he got shot 30 times which makes him a "real gangster" and that makes him OK to like :confused:

I like music for what it is - music. I don't care what gang Game/Snoop/Lil Wayne is affiliated with, what upper middle class neighborhood Drake grew up in or Eminems problems with his mother. You are prejudice towards Ross because he was a CO and you will never be able to accept him because of it. You don't like him because he ripped off Freeway? What about Kelvin Martin, the real (original) "50 Cent"?

Grow up.

me grow up?

this is coming from the biggest stan on boards refuses to accept game is irrevlant.

did i say i didnt like the album?? i taught i said it was an ok album??

i simply stated first of all how much of a joke it was that diddy was comparing him to biggie (musically) and made light of the c.o situation by saying

was biggie ever a c.o? lol its called a joke dumb dumb hence the lol.

floggg went off topic not me i simply replied to him! this is the last time il tell you this get your facts straight and read before you post.

im not even replyin to the 50 part, im not going into that again with you just wiki it yourself the reason why he picked the name,totally different.

anyway you dont care about a rappers past, i do so just leave it we all have different opinions just stop being so a argumentative.

sorry for this Orizio, seems like me and pretty have it out on most threads:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Tupac was running around in ballet tights and doing Shakespeare plays in Arts school before becoming a "gangsta" and didn't the conscious, promoter of black love, Mos Def slap his ex wife around too?

Are they frauds? Probably.

this is coming from the biggest stan on boards refuses to accept game is irrevlant.
    What's "irrevlant"? I'm talking about Ross, not Game.
    floggg went off topic not me i simply replied to him! this is the last time il tell you this get your facts straight and read before you post.
    You were the first one to reply to this thread. Orizio commented on the rapping, beats and production then you replied, touched on the subject saying it was an OK album and proceeded to bitch saying he's a clown and a fraud because he was a C.O.

Read it again. Second post. Before floggg posted. Understand? Get your facts straight.
    sorry for this Orizio, seems like me and pretty have it out on most threads:(
    This thread and the Game one isn't most threads. Sometimes you just need to learn when to shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

This thread is on Rick Ross, not on frauds in Hip-Hop, since 99% of them are anyway, and the 1% that aren't frauds are either dead or in jail. :pac:

Thats the final word on that subject pretty boy and mufc.

Now what do people think of Teflon Don?

Orizio wrote: »
    Now what do people think of Teflon Don?

Have only heard a few songs so far, I'm going to pick up the album in the next day or two and listen to it in full. I like what I've heard so far though, Ross isn't a rapper I would typically listen to but I'm really feeling a lot of his new stuff, some great beats on his last album so hopefully this one will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Haven't heard anything much of the album, other than free mason. Lyrically surprised by it. Little bit deeper and more complex than i expected from Rick Ross.

Rappers like Rick Ross and Jeezy are a bit of a guilty pleasure - generally speaking, they aren't the most talented rappers in terms of lyrics, flow etc, and they don't really say all that much. Yet, they have a brilliant knack for combining hooks and beats into something hot!

There will also be a few tracks on a rick ross album that will bang, although can't see myself sitting through the full album.

Anybody else love the Super High video? It's so ridiculous. I wondered how they made it credible that Rick Ross was always lying about shirtless with a tiny model hanging off him in his videos but what other man is going to take you on his motorbike to the top of a mountain to enjoy a glass of Crystal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I just listened to a Rick Ross track.

He is awful.

d'Oracle wrote: »

He is awful.

Take it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

d'Oracle wrote: »

He is awful.

That's a kinda hasty judgement to make after listening to one track ain't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I think this album is a good listen, "The Bawse" has a great ear for beats, and if you don't take him seriously he's fairly entertaining, mainly because of some of the sh!t he comes out with...."I THINK I'M BIG MEECH!!"

Only problem(s) I have with it is "Mafia Music 2" wasn't on here

I think that would have made a class opener

And the fact that MC Hammer and B.M.F are back to back is a bit awkward, because they have basically the same beat
    Oh and that Diddy track is awful :pac:

But for what it is, Teflon Don is a nice album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

I like it,he's really not up to scratch as an emcee but he still makes it work,worth a listen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,314 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is on life support

Hope he pulls through. I've a huge soft spot for that yacht rap era of the late 00's. We've all been trapping too hard these past few years it'd be nice to kick back in a linen suit eat some expensive seafood again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Who cares? Seriously?

Ever been locked up? Judging by your answer i think not..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Should probably note that Ricky is out of the hospital and back home now

Advertisement