Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rugby League Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Going to be an excellent crowd in London for England v Kiwis 2nd Test. 45000 sold so far.

Faing wrote: »
    Part time would suit Jamie Peacock......he'd be a great leader. Having said that, there are lots of lads that would suit the role.

Aussies don't agree with my part time notion, they are moving to full time coach with no NRL or Origin responsibilities. Not sure who's taking over from Wayne Bennett.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

watched the game this afternoon NZ v England thought i give it a go,...wish i didn't bother two hours i never get back...for two top teams it was utterly shocking, drab affair about as exciting as watching jelly set, only eleven points scored in the whole match

and for such a "hardman" sport whats so hard about tackle move away tackle move away and the uncontested scrums...whats the point in that??.. just tap and run would make more sense

its just diluted rugby union isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ireland play Wales in Bray this weekend at the Carlisle grounds. To win the European Championship, Ireland need to win and better France's score by 25 or hope Scotland can beat France, Wales just need to avoid a loss.

Went to this today courtesy of a free ticket they were handing out at my daughter's school. Wales won 30-4, about 1400 punters in the Carlisle Grounds, I assume many (most?) didn't pay for their tickets though. Ireland seemed tactically poor in the final phase but I really don't know much about the sport.

The Welsh celebrated receiving the trophy with a rousing chorus of "Delilah" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

philstar wrote: »
    watched the game this afternoon NZ v England thought i give it a go,...wish i didn't bother two hours i never get back...for two top teams it was utterly shocking, drab affair about as exciting as watching jelly set, only eleven points scored in the whole match

and for such a "hardman" sport whats so hard about tackle move away tackle move away and the uncontested scrums...whats the point in that??.. just tap and run would make more sense

its just diluted rugby union isn't it

Had 'end of hard season' written all over it. Both sides didn't really have their heads in the game. Poor game as a result.

I know Gareth Widdop is highly thought of but i can never see it when he plays for England. His passing was shocking today and his inability to move the ball or move onto the ball at any pace stifled those outside him.

• Advertisement

Well, worked all weekend, so thankfully missed the 2nd England v New Zealand Test. Fingers crossed for a better next Test!!

Shame Ireland didn't put on a better show against Wales, giving away loads of tickets is a good idea, in fact free in for a few internationals wouldn't go amiss, hopefully a few of the 1400 who saw the game might bother going again.

In the other game France beat Scotland fairly handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Shame Ireland didn't put on a better show against Wales, giving away loads of tickets is a good idea, in fact free in for a few internationals wouldn't go amiss, hopefully a few of the 1400 who saw the game might bother going again.

I googled the rules before going to the match as I was only vaguely aware of the differences between RU and RL. I read that generally teams will kick during the 6th phase of possession rather than risk having the ball turned over to the opposition. This is what Wales did and they scored a couple of tries due to Irish players fumbling the kick. Ireland generally didn't kick and as a result consistently handed over possession when close to the Welsh line.

Overall I enjoyed the game, there's a lot more running and open play in general than in Union (particularly having just spent 5 weeks watching the RWC with it's interminable TMO consultations) but it lacked the intensity of Union as one side can't really put the other under sustained pressure. I didn't get the point of the uncontested scrums either, they seemed to be a pointless relic from the original rules.

loyatemu wrote: »

Overall I enjoyed the game, there's a lot more running and open play in general than in Union (particularly having just spent 5 weeks watching the RWC with it's interminable TMO consultations) but it lacked the intensity of Union as one side can't really put the other under sustained pressure. I didn't get the point of the uncontested scrums either, they seemed to be a pointless relic from the original rules.

Scrum brings a number of each team in to a small space on the pitch, freeing up more space for further attacking Rugby so I think it serves a purpose. Not a hassle spending a minute on a scrum unlike Union.

The rules are very straightforward, that's part of the reason I started watching it, very easy to get in to, glad you enjoyed the game, International Rugby League is still very much a work in progress though imo.

Good write up in the Guardian about the England New Zealand 2nd Test.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2015/nov/11/england-new-zealand-rugby-league-london

Not fair to judge the sport on one game, however crap it was.

England v New Zealand 3rd test on BBC One now.

• Advertisement

Great 3rd Test, England just about hung on at the end.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Do Ireland play any home internationals this year? If so at what ground would they take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Do Ireland play any home internationals this year? If so at what ground would they take place?

There will definitely be a home game against Russia at the end of October regarding qualification for next year's World Cup. I don't think a venue has been selected yet though.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Couple of international games this week. Australia v New Zealand and England take on Samoa in Sydney. Ringers aplenty in the second game, for both teams, so I hope they don't zoom in on the lineups for the anthems.

England Samoa could be a close game and I actually think an upset is on the cards (hope I'm wrong) and a Samoa win. Bennett just doesn't look interested in the gig, though he does do disinterested well generally.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comfortable win for Australia, disappointing as a contest.

Easy using for England and a gain not a great spectacle. The earlier games today were more interesting, and I think justified their inclusion in the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I saw some of the Tonga/Fiji match which was really good fun. Shame there was such a gulf between Australia and NZ.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I saw some of the Tonga/Fiji match which was really good fun. Shame there was such a gulf between Australia and NZ.

Yeah that game was brilliant. Defence a mere after thought!

Advertisement