Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50,000 need to find new insurer

Options
  • 06-12-2018 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/50000-customers-without-insurance-cover-after-qudos-files-for-liquidation-890266.html

50,000 customers without insurance cover after Qudos files for liquidation
    The chief executive of Insurance Ireland is advising the 50,000 Irish customers of Danish insurer Qudos to contact their broker to avail of alternative cover.

Kevin Thompson told RTÉ’s Today with Sean O’Rourke show that cover will be provided by an alternative insurance provider at no extra cost.

Tits up insurance company leaves 50,000 Irish drivers needing to rearrange cover, hope they all read or get the news before they have a bump!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

OSI wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like an issue given:

Likely to be an issue if you haven't taken steps to arrange the alternative cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MIBI would cover the cost of anyone involved in an incident today.

Strictly speaking, anyone holding one of these policies can legally assume they are still covered until they receive formal notification that their policy has been cancelled.

So in the event that they were involved in an incident, the claimant would go to MIBI's uninsured drivers fund to get their compensation, but the other driver would not be in trouble because legally they are covered by insurance as far as they're aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

This happened to me with Setanta insurance in 2014 I think. Broker arranged temp cover but had to take out new insurance to cover the 6 months still left on my policy.

Still get the odd letter from the liquidator as I'm a creditor. Maybe this Christmas the cheque will come ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

seamus wrote: »
    MIBI would cover the cost of anyone involved in an incident today.....

...and the MIBI is funded by whom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

seamus wrote: »
    MIBI would cover the cost of anyone involved in an incident today.

I believe there may be a push to have the Danish version of the MIBI to cover costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Time for another levy methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ultimately the customer/tax payer will end up footing the bill through increased premiums/levies for another insurance company collapsing. Quinn Direct, Setanta...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ultimately the customer/tax payer will end up footing the bill through increased premiums/levies for another insurance company collapsing. Quinn Direct, Setanta...

Not if it's covered by the Danes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

...and the MIBI is funded by whom?
    It's not something I'm going to get worked up about.

I'm more than happy to pay my levy if some poor bastard caught up in this has a claim made against him today. It's not his fault his insurance company went bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I think it's time we introduced mandatory insurance cover through fuel. For something that is mandatory, it should not be controlled by private entities for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It isn't 50,000 drivers btw, the company had 50K Irish customers but vast majority are home insurance customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lord Nikon wrote:
    I think it's time we introduced mandatory insurance cover through fuel. For something that is mandatory, it should not be controlled by private entities for profit.

The wealth created trickles down, apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

Lord Nikon wrote: »

Aye, huge profits. That's why they keep going bang. Dope.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lord Nikon wrote: »

Throw road tax in as well whilst we're at it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Corvo wrote: »
    Aye, huge profits. That's why they keep going bang. Dope.
    The Irish companies/branches like PMPA, Quinn et al went bang "dope" :rolleyes: because of mismanagement. Aviva made nearly 100 million euro profit last year. Their profits have been on the up since 2015 and they're not alone in this. Axa the same. And claims have fallen in the same period. Yet our premiums have been steadily going up? Hmmmm...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

These insurance companies seem to be really bad with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

These insurance companies seem to be really bad with money.

Bad with money!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Bad with money!
    Some have been W, some are better, but if and when they do go wallop for whatever reason(usually mismanagement) then generally the Irish taxpayer and consumer ends up paying for it. QV PMPA. Yes the remaining companies take up some of the slack, but again we all end up paying for it one way or another. Higher premiums for a start.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Irish companies/branches like PMPA, Quinn et al went bang "dope" :rolleyes: because of mismanagement. Aviva made nearly 100 million euro profit last year. Their profits have been on the up since 2015 and they're not alone in this. Axa the same. And claims have fallen in the same period. Yet our premiums have been steadily going up? Hmmmm...

And not a single other insurance company has entered the Irish market when we have massive premiums. So if companies are making profits in our insurance market then there's something else wrong that's causing the high premiums and no new competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Del2005 wrote: »
    And not a single other insurance company has entered the Irish market when we have massive premiums. So if companies are making profits in our insurance market then there's something else wrong that's causing the high premiums and no new competitors.

As a member of EU single market, can Irish drivers get insurance from companies in other EU countries?

Quinn were undercutting everybody to try to win market share, you could walk into your own broker and say Quinn have quoted me X amount and your company would more than likely have matched it. Don't know if PMPA were doing the same but you drop the price to crush someone you'd better have deeper pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

timple23 wrote: »
    As a member of EU single market, can Irish drivers get insurance from companies in other EU countries?

No, there's something about the department of finance that they need to trade. But even if we could the risk would be based on the Irish market so there wouldn't be any savings. If they aren't offering policies here already, with our massive premiums, they aren't going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

timple23 wrote: »

What EU insurer would you you like to do business with? Zurich, AXA, Allianz, Aviva etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

^^^^
    I'm sure other Insurers would like to enter the Irish market...
    ...unfortunately your employers (and others) don't appear to agree with this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/european-commission-right-to-look-under-bonnet-of-motor-insurers-1.3143544

I'm sure you've seen this article before and can trot out some Industry BS answer...please don't bother.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

I'm sure you've seen this article before and can trot out some Industry BS answer...please don't bother.;)

OK so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What EU insurer would you you like to do business with? Zurich, AXA, Allianz, Aviva etc.

And that for some reason they all manage to offer cover for older cars, reasonable prices, didn't mind that I was insured in Ireland for 20+ years, cover for cars over 2 liter (Lord Bless us and Save Us!), no problem with insurance for private use of vans, the "they're all ripping us off Joe" argument falls apart pretty quick then.
    And I don't hear of a big insurer going bust.
    The next argument "How Dare They Make A Profit!", well they make profit on the continent too. They gots to make money, doncherknow.
    So what is the difference?
    Whiplash.
    Awards start at €12-15k in Ireland for "ouch my neck hurts". For that you get €600 to €1000 here.
    You will receive adequate compensation for actual damage. There are also payouts if €20k here, but for that there has to be real, actual, provable damage, not just wearing a neckbrace and having a dodgy note from some GP.
    Also, awars are rising the whole time in Ireland, people circumvent the claims board and go straight to court and because most insurers now settle quickly and quietly, this money doesn't appear in statistics.
    But they're forced to do it.
    €12k quick and easy payout vs. court case, €20k payout and €40k legal costs?
    Doesn't take a rocket scientist.
    All the insurers can do is adjust premiums and avoid risk until only Mary from Cork gets insurance on her 1l Micra.

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's no "if" about profits. Aviva and Axa have seen their profits going up since 2014/15. And yet at the same time their premiums go up. These are facts, facts that a Dail investigation backs up.
    Spook_ie wrote:
    Quinn were undercutting everybody to try to win market share, you could walk into your own broker and say Quinn have quoted me X amount and your company would more than likely have matched it. Don't know if PMPA were doing the same but you drop the price to crush someone you'd better have deeper pockets
    Indeed Spook and perfect examples of how utterly amateur hour the Irish insurance industry can be. Quinn being effectively unregulated in their horse trading and the rest slitting their own throats to all the way to financial ruin in an effort to keep up. PMPA was another example of woeful mismanagement and that was back in the 1980's.
    And that for some reason they all manage to offer cover for older cars, reasonable prices, didn't mind that I was insured in Ireland for 20+ years, cover for cars over 2 liter (Lord Bless us and Save Us!), no problem with insurance for private use of vans, the "they're all ripping us off Joe" argument falls apart pretty quick then.
    And I don't hear of a big insurer going bust.
    The next argument "How Dare They Make A Profit!", well they make profit on the continent too. They gots to make money, doncherknow.
    So what is the difference?
    Whiplash.
    Yep DR F, there is a claims culture here and no mistake and there has been one for decades. So why if it was and remains such an issue for the insurance industry here to the point where companies have gone bust on the back of it that they've done so little about it, beyond complaining about it and pointing at this as the big problem here? I mean they've had long enough to try.

Oh and claims have gone down over the last five years, yet premiums have gone up and not just in motor insurance. Yet they still lay the blame there? Never mind that 70% of claims are settled outside the courts so the Irish consumer has zero idea of what they're actually paying out. The companies point to court cases where the figures are public. Clearly it's far cheaper to settle outside of court, or they wouldn't do it. Then again going on the record of scary levels of inefficiency and mismanagement that's not necessarily a sure thing either.

The salient part for me in the article linked by mgbgt1978 is this:
    Insurers shrug and blame the claims culture, generous court awards, ambulance-chasing lawyers, uninsured drivers, shortcomings in regulation and more besides.

They are right in some of what they say but they rarely, if ever, take any blame for the massive losses that they have collectively racked up in recent years from badly running their own businesses.

We see that here from people working in the industry. The finger almost always points outward and almost never at their own industry.

Why don't more competitors enter the market? I'd say it's simply down to Ireland being a small market and a holy mess of a market to get involved in, with a mostly hands off government, a legal system and claims culture set up to milk them, an existing low level cartel among existing insurance companies, many of which have been woefully managed in the past, exposure to having to take up the slack of other companies in trouble and no real change or willingness to change that's evident over decades.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep DR F, there is a claims culture here and no mistake and there has been one for decades. So why if it was and remains such an issue for the insurance industry here to the point where companies have gone bust on the back of it that they've done so little about it, beyond complaining about it and pointing at this as the big problem here? I mean they've had long enough to try.

Oh and claims have gone down over the last five years, yet premiums have gone up and not just in motor insurance. Yet they still lay the blame there? Never mind that 70% of claims are settled outside the courts so the Irish consumer has zero idea of what they're actually paying out. The companies point to court cases where the figures are public. Clearly it's far cheaper to settle outside of court, or they wouldn't do it. Then again going on the record of scary levels of inefficiency and mismanagement that's not necessarily a sure thing either.

Good points.
    What my experience of insurance in Ireland was, I came over in 1994. I had a VW Transporter, a T3.
    I insured it absolutely no hassle in Germany, but when I tried to insure it here, I was either laughed at, or quoted £3-5k. Yes, Punts.
    I worked for an American company and the visiting Yanks were quoted even more.
    Over the next few years it was still terrible. I drove 2 different T3's because insurance was ludicrous.
    With the boom came cheap insurance and it also went with the boom.
    So my impression of the Irish insurance market is that it's really difficult to insure anything that is not a Noddy car, difficult for foreigners, impossible for vans and the short time where insurance was available for less than €500 was just a short freak occurance.
    Now the market is back to normal with massive premiums, stupid award payments, stupid restrictions for cars and stupendous discrimination against foreigners.

Welcome to normal.

edit:
    Yes, I would agree that insurance companies are exploiting the market right now. Absolutely.
    But even without that, it would still be difficult und expensive to get insurance in Ireland. Line everything else, things always have to be difficult and expensive in Ireland. That's a general fact about the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A third party national fuel levy is the only fool proof system. Though this is Ireland.....

Advertisement