Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada/Job

Options
  • 23-07-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey

I have, in the past number of years, spent a few stints in Toronto for work, and an opportunity has arisen to work there.

As things stand now, I have a job offer, so that part is sorted. I know there's delays due to Covid-19 but remote working is an option until that clears up.

Having spoken with the company, they will sponsor me for the working visa. For those who have moved, I have a few general questions, and probably need my expectations clarified.

1. Relocation costs - The cost of flights for our family would roughly be around 10k. Would be be reasonable to expect the employer to cover that or just cover me, or would the norm be that they cover? They did offer to put up my family a year or two ago if I was to spend 3 months out there last year.

2. Housing - Is it reasonable for me to ask to cover costs if I have to go house hunting? I don't want to rent a house based off web site photos.

3. Moving Costs - Similar to relocation - what would the cost me to move stuff over via freight etc? The plan would not be to move everything - in all likelihood, we'll rent out our existing house to cover the mortgage, and rent furnished, until we make a longer term decision about whether to relocate permanently.

4. Teaching - My wife is a teacher, so she can take a break for up to 5 years, and return to her job. In order to work in the public sector, she would need to do a school board certification. Has anyone gone through this process, and can advise what the best way to go about it is? My understanding is that she can do working in the private sector right away, but public is the way to go.

5. Childcare - We currently have two children under 4 (1 and 2), so will likely need childcare - my understanding is that it's normally about 1200 per child - Can anyone offer advise on this and what options are available?

6. For immigration, language tests are needed. I assume this isn't required for working visas?

7. On the working visa, it seems my family can come with me. Does my wife need a visa too? I see something called an Open Working Visa? Would she need a study visa if she is recertifying?

Any other things that I'm not mentioning that would be good to know?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 unblinkered optimist

Hey

I have, in the past number of years, spent a few stints in Toronto for work, and an opportunity has arisen to work there.

As things stand now, I have a job offer, so that part is sorted. I know there's delays due to Covid-19 but remote working is an option until that clears up.

Having spoken with the company, they will sponsor me for the working visa. For those who have moved, I have a few general questions, and probably need my expectations clarified.

1. Relocation costs - The cost of flights for our family would roughly be around 10k. Would be be reasonable to expect the employer to cover that or just cover me, or would the norm be that they cover? They did offer to put up my family a year or two ago if I was to spend 3 months out there last year.

2. Housing - Is it reasonable for me to ask to cover costs if I have to go house hunting? I don't want to rent a house based off web site photos.

3. Moving Costs - Similar to relocation - what would the cost me to move stuff over via freight etc? The plan would not be to move everything - in all likelihood, we'll rent out our existing house to cover the mortgage, and rent furnished, until we make a longer term decision about whether to relocate permanently.

4. Teaching - My wife is a teacher, so she can take a break for up to 5 years, and return to her job. In order to work in the public sector, she would need to do a school board certification. Has anyone gone through this process, and can advise what the best way to go about it is? My understanding is that she can do working in the private sector right away, but public is the way to go.

5. Childcare - We currently have two children under 4 (1 and 2), so will likely need childcare - my understanding is that it's normally about 1200 per child - Can anyone offer advise on this and what options are available?

6. For immigration, language tests are needed. I assume this isn't required for working visas?

7. On the working visa, it seems my family can come with me. Does my wife need a visa too? I see something called an Open Working Visa? Would she need a study visa if she is recertifying?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there, I relocated to Canada with a $12,000 allowance. I was able to use this for temporary housing if I wanted too. It was $6,000 to ship all our household over here. No language test was required for the temporary work permit, but it may be needed if you choose to become a permanent resident. Working as a teacher in the public sector can pay very well and has a gold clad pension. My family came with me on my temporary work permit, there were no problems with that.
    Best of luck with your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Hey

I would expect flight costs to be paid for by the sponsoring company. I would also push for at least one return flight to Ireland per year.

They should pay for at least one month of furnished accommodation for you. This will allow you to scope out rentals, I wouldn't expect them to cover anything else.

I would expect there to be an allowance for this. Hard to say how much it will cost without knowing exactly what you have.

Correct, no language tests will be required for temporary work visa.

Yes your wife will get an open work permit allowing her to work for any employer. She can take any study course so long as it's not longer than 6 months. Your kids will get visitor records.

Thanks in advance!

Do you currently work for this employer in Ireland or would this be a brand new employer for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 canadianSock

It would be a brand new employer, though one that I have worked with for a number of years so there's familiarity there.

In terms of moving stuff, I don't expect it will be much other than clothes. That plan is to rent our house out, and rent in Canada. It gives us the option of moving back if it doesn't work out. If it does work out, we can sell etc. We will likely just bring clothes/electronics/etc, nothing like tables, chairs, beds.

Thanks very much for all the info! I need to look into the teaching for my wife, as she wants to work over there as a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It would be a brand new employer, though one that I have worked with for a number of years so there's familiarity there.

In terms of moving stuff, I don't expect it will be much other than clothes. That plan is to rent our house out, and rent in Canada. It gives us the option of moving back if it doesn't work out. If it does work out, we can sell etc. We will likely just bring clothes/electronics/etc, nothing like tables, chairs, beds.

Thanks very much for all the info! I need to look into the teaching for my wife, as she wants to work over there as a teacher.

Just a couple more points. Most rentals in Toronto would be unfurnished so make sure to budget a couple of thousand dollars for furnishings. You can get furnished rentals but they tend to be more expensive.

Also, if your employer is sponsoring your work permit, there's a process to go through before the permit is issued (the employer needs to show they can't find a Canadian to do the job) and even pre-COVID this process could have taken many months so be prepared for a bit of a wait. The only exception might be if your job falls under one of these categories https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/global-talent/requirements.html#gtol

Just a couple more points. Most rentals in Toronto would be unfurnished so make sure to budget a couple of thousand dollars for furnishings. You can get furnished rentals but they tend to be more expensive.

Also, if your employer is sponsoring your work permit, there's a process to go through before the permit is issued (the employer needs to show they can't find a Canadian to do the job) and even pre-COVID this process could have taken many months so be prepared for a bit of a wait. The only exception might be if your job falls under one of these categories

Thanks. I’ve reached out to the company to discuss that and see what they can do based on the comments here.

My role does fall under one of those categories, and is the reason given for my previous visits as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

It depends on your employer either he would take care of your relocation and moving cost or not. The type of job also matters here.
    Housing - Is it reasonable for me to ask to cover costs if I have to go house hunting? I don't want to rent a house based off web site photos.

If you think that employer would pay this cost then again, I would suggest you to talk with them. However, the landlord can ask you about your previous landlord reference, your credit history, job and income etc. If you want to know the costs of housing or even taking an apartment in Canada then I would suggest you following site to know about rough quotes:

https://www.kijiji.ca/
    https://www.padmapper.com/apartments/toronto-on
    Moving Costs - Similar to relocation - what would the cost me to move stuff over via freight etc? The plan would not be to move everything - in all likelihood, we'll rent out our existing house to cover the mortgage, and rent furnished, until we make a longer term decision about whether to relocate permanently.

The moving cost could be high if you move stuff like home furniture, vehicles etc. From the UK to Canada, you would need to go with the shipping option, and you can consider this site to get an idea of shipping cost https://www.shipit.co.uk/international-removals/canada. However, I would suggest you to get port shipping and then get within Canada movers. Better to consider this place https://www.topmove.ca/ to compare the moving costs of vehicles, furniture, pets and other stuff within Canada.
    On the working visa, it seems my family can come with me. Does my wife need a visa too? I see something called an Open Working Visa? Would she need a study visa if she is recertifying?

You didn't share with us either you can permanent working visa or a temporary one. In case you have a temporary permit then you can keep your family with you if they meet the temporary resident requirements. Similarly, the permanent worker can also keep their dependent kids and wife with him but documents like Passport, Marriage certificate, birth certificates etc. would be required. You can read more from https://www.internations.org/go/moving-to-canada/visas-work-permits#:~:text=Family%20Visas&text=Dependent%20children%2C%20spouses%2C%20and%20common,family%20needs%20to%20apply%20separately. in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Furniture does come up on Irish and New in Toronto!, but be aware of the bed bug hotspots; you don't want a freed bed that already has a few occupiers! Have gotten lots of things off that page.
    However, the landlord can ask you about your previous landlord reference, your credit history, job and income etc.
    From what myself and friends found, if you have proof of job, some landlords will offer you a place, but it may not be all that good. The better places usually want a credit score, proof of job, and references.

Quick question - Looking like I may take their offer - I need to clarify a few things first.

Chances are I won’t be moving there this year (Covid etc), so will work from home until around September 2021 or so. What’s the story with tax? They’ll likely be paying me into a Canadian account and liable for Canadian tax. What does that mean towards Irish tax?

Advertisement