Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2020, 17:31   #1
Russel Dsouza

Landlord not accepting new roommates

Hello,

Two of my roommates are moving out at the end of May due to the pandemic situation and will be going back to their home town.

I am unable to afford the entire rent on my own. As a result, I have found two others as replacements to facilitate the same. The landlord, however, has refused to accept the new roommates on unclear grounds. The landlord states that they do not have the financial stability to rent the apartment. Each of the tenants have shown funds equivalent to at least 6 months of rent as well as 20-30 hours of part time work payments which will be ongoing.

I really need these replacements else it will be a major monetary loss for me and my previous roommates as well (they will lose their deposit so will I).

What can I do in this regards if the landlord is unwilling to accept replacements and wants the existing 3 tenants to continue paying the rent till the termination of the contract (11 months)?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-05-2020, 17:50   #2
Assetbacked

I'd check the lease but it would seem that refusal to assign or sub-let has been received from the landlord so you could give notice to terminate (28 days most likely) and can expect to receive your deposits back at the end of the notice period (depending on wear and tear but just note that reletting is not your concern if that is a reason being cited to hold on to some of the deposit), assuming rent is paid up to that date.
(2) thanks from:
21-05-2020, 18:04   #3
handlemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russel Dsouza View Post
Hello,

Two of my roommates are moving out at the end of May due to the pandemic situation and will be going back to their home town.

I am unable to afford the entire rent on my own. As a result, I have found two others as replacements to facilitate the same. The landlord, however, has refused to accept the new roommates on unclear grounds. The landlord states that they do not have the financial stability to rent the apartment. Each of the tenants have shown funds equivalent to at least 6 months of rent as well as 20-30 hours of part time work payments which will be ongoing.

I really need these replacements else it will be a major monetary loss for me and my previous roommates as well (they will lose their deposit so will I).

What can I do in this regards if the landlord is unwilling to accept replacements and wants the existing 3 tenants to continue paying the rent till the termination of the contract (11 months)?

Part time workers would not be seen as good tenants. Have you seen their bank account statements to confirm 6 months ability to pay ? Would they pay the rent of pay for food if the part time work stops? It's a high risk tenant for the landlord
21-05-2020, 18:06   #4
thomas 123

Why are you finding tenants then? Let him
sort it.

Agencies charge good money to find tennants for landlords.
21-05-2020, 18:09   #5
thomas 123

I am also pretty sure he can’t get them to pay out the initial lease. Maybe he can keep the deposits but he can’t charge them rent if they don’t live there.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-05-2020, 18:09   #6
Russel Dsouza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
I'd check the lease but it would seem that refusal to assign or sub-let has been received from the landlord so you could give notice to terminate (28 days most likely) and can expect to receive your deposits back at the end of the notice period (depending on wear and tear but just note that reletting is not your concern if that is a reason being cited to hold on to some of the deposit), assuming rent is paid up to that date.
Thank you for your response. The problem is the the 2 tenants are moving out at the end of the month and I do not prefer relocating. If we give a notice, we will still have to pay the rent for June which for an apartment we wont occupy.

As a result, I found it ideal to get replacements to the existing tenants which was approved by the landlord provided if they fit the all his criteria. This has been going on since 2 weeks and the agent involved has been rejecting all the tenants (I'm not sure if he even viewed them because one of the applicants had finances much better than the 3 of us combined).

I've been trying to convince the agent that the rent will be paid without any hassle and all he has to do is change the names on the existing contract to include the new tenants.
21-05-2020, 18:12   #7
Russel Dsouza

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
Part time workers would not be seen as good tenants. Have you seen their bank account statements to confirm 6 months ability to pay ? Would they pay the rent of pay for food if the part time work stops? It's a high risk tenant for the landlord
Yes I agree part time workers would not be ideal.

I have shared their bank statements with the landlord to prove the same. They are students as well and have more than enough funds to live for a year in Ireland without any income and have documents to prove the same.

I also assured the landlord that I will ensure timely payments of rent as I am a working professional and have sufficient funds.

Last edited by Russel Dsouza; 21-05-2020 at 18:15.
21-05-2020, 18:39   #8
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russel Dsouza View Post
Are your roommates moving out after a month?

If they aren't, enforcing a lease that lasts more than a year is iffy.
21-05-2020, 18:41   #9
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Have to work with the LL on this, AFAIK they can just stop you from getting new housemates at all. It was quite common to do this to force people out so that a LL could airbnb places, as a way to get around your part IV essentially.
Advertisement
21-05-2020, 18:43   #10
Russel Dsouza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Are your roommates moving out after a month?

If they aren't, enforcing a lease that lasts more than a year is iffy.
They intend to move out end of May
21-05-2020, 18:55   #11
thomas 123

I think a call to threshold may be the best mate, find out your rights then you will be in a better position to play ball.
Thanks from:
21-05-2020, 18:56   #12
XVII

if any tenants are moving before the end of the contract, they need to find replacements, neither you nor landlord. But that would depend on how leases were signed. Ideally, each of you were supposed to sign it separately. If that's the case, let them deal with landlord, you don't have to do anything.

if you signed lease yourself on their behalf:
1) lesson for you for the future
2) you've got to explain to tenants that they leave you in ****ty situation, and try to negotiate with landlord somehow :/
Thanks from:
21-05-2020, 22:27   #13
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas 123 View Post
sort it.

It doesnt work that way but your attitude shows exactly why a lot of landlords are fed up of tenants not complying with regulations but want the landlord to do so.
Thanks from:
22-05-2020, 23:36   #14
ted1

Quote:
sort it.

If tenants move out they need to find replacements or keep paying rent till the landlord does
23-05-2020, 02:28   #15
the_syco
Subscriber

Quote:
sort it.

The agency will get anyone. Have had agencies picked a few asses.

Picking the tenant yourself will allow you to pick people who you'll get on with.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion