Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMod, possible data protection abuse issue

Options
  • 12-06-2020 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a query around the concept of ‘HMod’.

Consider a scenario where you have a ‘HMod’ of a private forum. The HMod user in question is not a moderator in any other public forum.

Is the legitimate that the HMod user would use their additional privileges when posting in a separate forum (where as I say, they are a regular user) to lookup another posters ‘disciplinary record’, then post a summary of that other users disciplinary record in the public forum in a snide fashion, while as I say acting as a regular user?

The forum in question is not feedback / appeals / prison.

Firstly I cannot see any legitimate reason why the HMod user would have access to another users disciplinary record in the scenario where that other user in question is not a member of the forum that the HMod user is a HMod of.

Furthermore I find it hard to understand that the HMod can legitimately post another users disciplinary record in the forum where the HMod is a regular user, without the permission of the user in question.

Can someone please clarify if the behaviour I have outlined above is considered acceptable for a HMod to engage in when in a public forum that they are a regular user in?

Thanks,
    Rodney Bathgate

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Feedback

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

HMods do not have access to information available to "regular" mods. They will have access to information relating to the forum they mod and to a HMod forum (which has not had any posts in nearly 2 years)

I'll leave your post unapproved, but I'm going to go through that thread now

OK, I've just deleted a number of posts from that thread

I am going to raise this with the Other Admins. AFAIK the HMod should not be able to access that information, but even if they could they should not post it like that

It may take a day or two, but we'll get back to you either here or possibly via PM

Just to add, I can see your unapproved posts. There are 3 of them, but only Admins and Help Desk Moderators can see them

I'm also going to have a look at your reported posts and will deal with or liaise with local mods as appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Thanks for the very quick response Beasty!

There is another unapproved post that will also be considered when reviewing what happened here among the Admins

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Good evening Rodney Bathgate,

just to keep you in the loop with respect to the outcome of this situation.

Making a poster's private information public in that fashion is an abuse of mod privileges that we can not and will not tolerate on the site. As a result of this breach of trust, the HMod in question has had their HMod privileges revoked, and their access to the site removed for a significant period of time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement