Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Horse Racing betting as we know it?

Options
  • 20-10-2019 2:15pm
    Site Banned Posts: 6

Paddy Power and Betfair are starting doing their own show prices from tomorrow.

This is terrible news for the shop punter.
    Online you can just go to someone else very quickly and easily.
    Shops may be messy trying to get to a Boyles/Ladbrokes/Bar One etc near you.
    A lot of people backing horses wouldn't know the difference and especially for Grand National and Cheltenham.

Last week when I was in PP, I noticed some of the prices were strange when the show came in, like 15/4, 16/5, 30/1 and 35/1.
    Opened up another bookmakers App on the show and the PP ones were different
    for some of the horses, most lower.
    The fact they are now announcing they will have different prices is the reason but why not tell people beforehand?

Racing Post has an article about it today but can't post it as not enough posts.

From what I have seen so far, the favs are shorter and a couple of outsiders are bigger.
    85% of people back the favs so PP will be taking way more margin from now on.
    Examples that I noticed and these were the only races I was in for.
    6.30 Chelmsford on the show:
    Fav was 9/4, 2nd fav 5/2, 3rd fav 4/1 everywhere apart from PP where they were 11/5,
    5/2 and 16/5.
    Another race Friday, Fav was 2/1, 2nd fav 10/3 ad 3rd fav 4/1, PP fav was 15/8.
    Some of the outsiders were pushed, 8/1 to 17/2, 28/1 to 30/1, 33/1 to 35/1 but not enough to be the same margins on the show.
    So most of the favs are lower prices.
    According to the article, you can still back the horses at SP but who wants to do that when there is GP's?
    I've also noticed races where PP have specials in, Money Back 2nd/3rd/4th to SP Fav or beaten by a bigger SP, the front end horses
    are priced way lower than other bookmaker prices.

The punter is getting shafted by this and I will be stopping horse race betting with PP.
    Let's just hope other bookmakers do not follow and punters vote with their feet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Bit strange that they aren't advertising that they are doing this, most people wouldn't know they are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭famagusta

okidoki987 wrote:
    Bit strange that they aren't advertising that they are doing this, most people wouldn't know they are doing it.

Numerous signs up in the shops

Advertisement