Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OW Swim Events 2013

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Aghhhh tits.....Curracloe swim cancelled due to high winds.....:(

Dublin swimming club swim in Killiney just cancelled....aghhhhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

No swims this weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

the flatline swim went ahead yesterday in athlone as did the lough sheelin events today in cavan. flatline was good

promethius wrote: »
    the flatline swim went ahead yesterday in athlone as did the lough sheelin events today in cavan. flatline was good

Good stuff....did you enter?

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Good stuff....did you enter?

yeah i'd entered both went to athlone, a well organised swim in the river, current assisted for all but 100m. fair play to organisers they made a real effort on this and it showed. had a good race top five :D

got word before i left for cavan that there were only a handful of entries, wanted a good hard race so no point didn't bother heading over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am still considering the Warrior of the Sea in Sligo in four weeks time, but most of my swimming is 3k in swimming pool two or three times a week.
    I went to 40 Foot yesterday, but got seriously freaked out by seeing the bottom and some fish. And also my sighting wasn't good, I was all over the place. I would blame it on the current, but not much hope with that.
    Is there any chance I could overcome those two issues in four weeks?
    I will try to spend more than two hours in the sea this week to test it more.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

ThOnda wrote: »
    I am still considering the Warrior of the Sea in Sligo in four weeks time, but most of my swimming is 3k in swimming pool two or three times a week.
    I went to 40 Foot yesterday, but got seriously freaked out by seeing the bottom and some fish. And also my sighting wasn't good, I was all over the place. I would blame it on the current, but not much hope with that.

you will not notice things like this as much in a race scenario, swimming on your own is different to this when the mind will wander etc..
    just go for it you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

You swimming in togs or wetsuit?

For the next two weeks, hit at least 4km once/twice a week in the pool. Also get into the OW a good few times before, say at least 6 times. Get into the water and relax. Nothing is going to hurt you in Irish waters. Maybe a few jellyfish but their stings only last a few minutes.

Practice sighting in the pool. E.g do a 500m swim and every fourth length sight at least twice during that length. Look for the pool clock, some chair, anything.
    When your in the OW, try to sight large objects that don't move! Houses, tress, mountains. Don't use boats, clouds!!

In a race, there will be plenty of safety boats around which will make you more relaxed.
    You need to be happy in OW before you do this 6km point to point swim. No point taking part if your not happy.

Hello, thanks for the replies.
    I will be swimming in wetsuit.
    The pool is open only for 90 minutes and I can manage only 120 - 138 lengths, depending on my commute and changing time. I am not fast by any means.
    I will see if I could get into any other pool.
    And will have to consider swimming wetsuit, the surfing one might get too restrictive after few hours. I'll jump into the sea tomorrow, if anybody is around.
    Thank you for your suggestions, I'll keep on reading and training.
    And I will try to avoid looking down (reminds me very bad joke :D).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

Hello, thanks for the replies.
    I will be swimming in wetsuit.
    The pool is open only for 90 minutes and I can manage only 120 - 138 lengths, depending on my commute and changing time. I am not fast by any means.
    I will see if I could get into any other pool.
    And will have to consider swimming wetsuit, the surfing one might get too restrictive after few hours. I'll jump into the sea tomorrow, if anybody is around.
    Thank you for your suggestions, I'll keep on reading and training.
    And I will try to avoid looking down (reminds me very bad joke :D).

You need to get into the sea as much as possible and familiarize yourself with it. I've always been in and out of the sea and I'm well used to it. Waves, rocks, fish etc. would not bother me. However, it freaks out other people. I swim sometimes with a guy who used to do alot of triathlons and ironmans, and who has plenty of experience of swimming in the sea - yet if the sea is choppy he will avoid going in, or he will not swim anywhere near rocks - it's down to the individual. If you are swimming in a wet suit - you also need to climatise yourself to that. Swimming 6K in a surfing suit could be hell, with restrictions, friction burns etc (but still possible). I used to swim in a surfing wetsuit up until this year when I got a swimming wetsuit and the difference is incredible (but you still get the friction burns!!). The distance - I was swimming similar distances to you in the pool over the winter, I find it easier to swim in the sea and could swim a bit further - but doubling the distance?? I did a 4.1k ow swim at the weekend, I could have done a bit more - but 2k extra, I don't think so. I'm working on doing a 5k in the coming weeks - one step at a time. You'll also need to get used to lots of other bodies around you - getting bashed, people swimming across, over, under you - all good fun, but can be frightening at first. Sea swimming is great, but it can take a bit of getting used to - get in as much as you can between now and then, you'll know if you are ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

You could try either the Escape From Ireland swim or the Around The Head Swim the weekend before the Warrior of the Sea to see how you are. That's what I intend doing. I've done a bit more swimming than you and I'm still a bit nervous. I've done a few 4k pool sessions and some shorter OW swims. I plan to try and get a decent 4km OW session before the Warrior as a tester.

The penny dropped. It is in three weeks time, only two weekends left, I won't be chancing that. 6k in the Atlantic Ocean would be a bit too much.
    I'll keep on training and will do other swims. WOS will have to wait for year 20142.
    Thank you all for your help and responses, I do appreciate it a lot and hope to meet you in the water some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Would you not try some of the 1.5km swims the leinsteropensea.ie lads put on every weekend? Rather than jumping into a 6km?

I would, but I have no internet at home, almost no time for internet at work, I HATE facebook and don't understand the LOS web page - haven't found any reasonable information about upcoming events.

I would, but I have no internet at home, almost no time for internet at work, I HATE facebook and don't understand the LOS web page - haven't found any reasonable information about upcoming events.

http://www.swimleinster.com/OpenSea/OpenSeaCalendar2013_5.pdf

Have a scroll down to the calendar.

or this one, click on it and if you can print it out, its handy to have.

http://leinsteropensea.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2013-Open-Sea-Calendar-List-of-Races.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

Carrick-on-Suir this weekend, river swims of 500m, 750m and 1500m.

Sunday at 4.30, no Swim Ireland membership required.
    Good safety cover. Wetsuits allowed.
    No jellyfish :D

Keep them coming :-)
    It should be sunny, so bicycle it is on Sunday. The fat has to be burned somehow...
    Thank you all for the links, printed and pinned above my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

anyone in Cork today for the Lee swim?
    happy with my own time but came away before the results so just wondering who won and in what kind of time .....

• Advertisement

anyone in Cork today for the Lee swim?
    happy with my own time but came away before the results so just wondering who won and in what kind of time .....

Had a great day - what an event!!

links to results available here : https://www.facebook.com/Lee.Swim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

+1....great event,nice after party on the boardwalk,and water wasnt too manky

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ocisorrenta

Anyone go to the Warrior of the Sea briefing? Have read the course details on the website, is there anything crucial to add, like alternative sighting points or more current directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Anyone know of any OW swim events in Kerry over the August Bank Holiday weekend?

pc11 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any OW swim events in Kerry over the August Bank Holiday weekend?

This is a final reminder for you to enter the Ardgroom Swim. Entries close in 2 days on Friday, 26th July at midnight.

The Swim takes place on Sunday August 4th.

You can enter by emailing me at brian_oshea@hotmail.com - please include an estimate for your 5km swim time.

This is a 5 km swim starting and finishing in Glenbeg Lake, Ardgroom. Ardgroom village is in West Cork on the Beara peninsula, about 30 minutes west of Kenmare. Registration is in Harrington's Cafe, Ardgroom, and will be open from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm – the swim starts at 1:00 pm. Results will be announced in The Village Inn, Ardgroom, around 4:00 pm. Entry fee of €10 is payable on the day.

pc11 wrote: »

Besides the Ardgroom swim there is also a 1.7km swim in kinsale on sat 3 at 15.00. Details on sandycove swimmers website

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

okane1 wrote: »
    Besides the Ardgroom swim there is also a 1.7km swim in kinsale on sat 3 at 15.00. Details on sandycove swimmers website

Kinsale is in Kerry?! :confused:

Seriously, thanks for that, but it's a long way away.

Sorry about that!! Head over to Fenit beach outside Tralee, always a popular spot for OW swimming

Advertisement