Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wicklow way swimming

Options
  • 21-04-2011 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi. Me and a few friends are going to be hiking the Wicklow way from near Enniskerry, heading south, over the weekend. Are they any good (and relatively safe) spots for a dip anyone could recommend along the route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Probably too late.

Lough Dan or Glendalough lake but lake swimming is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

Probably too late.

Lough Dan or Glendalough lake but lake swimming is dangerous.

how come lake swimming is dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

cold water, cold springs, underwater hazards, murky water, sudden depth changes, difficult access for extraction (usually)

all of the above present in the sea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Read the last paragraph on this page. Read this part , the section where he swims Llynn LLydaw lake. Cold is the enemy and lakes can be very cold.

• Advertisement

Good post thanks. Something to keep in mind for my swim in Lake Bohinj Slovenia in three weeks. Its a glacially fed lake but according to locals, by late May water temperature is about 15C. Im banking on the sun on my back at that water temperature I should be ok over 4K.

Advertisement