Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Open water Calendar 2011

• 12-04-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Here is a draft copy of the Leinster 2011 calendar. There may be some minor changes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah just got this in an email....Looking forward to it, the season will fly in as usual....Just seen ill be away for a good few races, gutted. Some are nice races as well i'll miss...Especially the Kilmartin Cup, lovely cup to win......

Also for any sea swimmers out there, remember last year there was a huge increase in Jelly fish, especially Lion's maine. Got stung myself at Bull wall during a race and I can tell you it wasn't nice. Effects of sting lasted over 24 hours and one experience I dont want to have again.

Rte had a programme called "Living in the wild" on Jellyfish tonight, you can catch it at link below...

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

mad m wrote: »
    Also for any sea swimmers out there, remember last year there was a huge increase in Jelly fish, especially Lion's maine. Got stung myself at Bull wall during a race and I can tell you it wasn't nice. Effects of sting lasted over 24 hours and one experience I dont want to have again.

Rte had a programme called "Living in the wild" on Jellyfish tonight, you can catch it at link below...

Link

Dont be putting people off!!! A few people have started wearing all in one suits over the last couple of years to protect against jellyfish. I just think it makes them go faster.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Dont be putting people off!!! A few people have started wearing all in one suits over the last couple of years to protect against jellyfish. I just think it makes them go faster.

It doesn't make them go faster, there allowed...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

It doesn't make them go faster, there allowed...:D

In New Zealand if your wearing a wetsuit in an OW race, your given a 1min time penalty per km.
    In salt water there isnt much advantage wearing a wetsuit, but in lakes/rivers etc there would be a slight advantage.

• Advertisement

okane1 wrote: »
    In New Zealand if your wearing a wetsuit in an OW race, your given a 1min time penalty per km.
    In salt water there isnt much advantage wearing a wetsuit, but in lakes/rivers etc there would be a slight advantage.

I know, but with so many getting stung last year, I included got an anti-sting suit, its lycra so doesnt give you any buoyancy aid, should of said in previous post...

Actually there was a sea race last year which I think is on again, which allowed swim suits.Link

If you wear a wetsuit in swim leinster swims you dont get classed whatsoever. I remember waiting around for the womens liffey swim, girl called Marian was wearing a wetsuit and a good bit ahead of the next swimmer, but havent said that, the tow of the liffey last year was strong for mens race and stonger for womens race, seen a good few getting swept past the finishing point and not reaching the electronic tagging system....

I did one swim last year in Leinster, around the head swim in Clogherhead and got stung and I was wearing a wetsuit.
    This year I plan on doing must swims in togs, hopefully I'll get used to the cold pretty fast!

I did one swim last year in Leinster, around the head swim in Clogherhead and got stung and I was wearing a wetsuit.
    This year I plan on doing must swims in togs, hopefully I'll get used to the cold pretty fast!

Really, you must of got it on the face somewhere? Very unlucky...Clogherhead, did ILDSA run that one?

Really, you must of got it on the face somewhere? Very unlucky...Clogherhead, did ILDSA run that one?

On the foot. Didn't realise until I finished!

It was run by the Drogheda Masters Swimming Club, to coincide with the clogherhead prawn festival. It was up on the Leinster swimming website. It was a nice 2.5km swim, did it in 37mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Can anyone tell me if these swims attract slower swimmers as well as more competitive types. I'd be doing very well to swim 1k in 20 minutes. Would I still be in the pack or left hopelessly, and rather scarily, behind?
    I like swimming in the sea, but I'm just slightly nervous about trying these races.

• Advertisement

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if these swims attract slower swimmers as well as more competitive types. I'd be doing very well to swim 1k in 20 minutes. Would I still be in the pack or left hopelessly, and rather scarily, behind?
    I like swimming in the sea, but I'm just slightly nervous about trying these races.

The swims are handicapped, so you'll be fine...Just so its clear, you have to be registered with a swim club to swim in these races, you just can't turn up.

For your first race they will probably give you 2-3 mins after go, they will want to see how you get on and then give you a proper handicap for next race. The handicappers dont want to get caught out:D

On the foot. Didn't realise until I finished!

It was run by the Drogheda Masters Swimming Club, to coincide with the clogherhead prawn festival. It was up on the Leinster swimming website. It was a nice 2.5km swim, did it in 37mins.

Oh I remember now, think there was another swim on and couldn't make that one....37mins, VG...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

Wally Runs wrote: »
    As mad m says the handicapping system means that you'll be absolutely fine and won't get left behind. The first race they may be a little bit tough just to ensure that they aren't being conned (my first Open Sea race I was put off on scratch time - last in!!) but then are generally very good with sorting out the handicaps to appropriate times/levels.

How the system works is as follows:
    Pre-Go "A" - The first group to go, generally the weakest swimmers and this time will depend on the conditions on the day(anything from 90sec - 5mins before the actual clock start("Go")

Pre-Go "B" - The second group off, generally half the time between "Go" and Pre-Go "A", i.e if Pre-Go "A" is 2 mins then Pre-Go "B" will be 1minute before "Go"

Go - The official start of the race - 0 seconds

Then the handicaps generally are in increments of 10seconds all the way to the "Scratch Swimmer" who is last to go into the water.

Most of the races are approx. 1,500m long and so the handicaps will be similar for alot of the races, however for longer/shorter races the handicaps are adjusted accordingly.

I hope this helps you Wally, and anybody else who may look in on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

I did one swim last year in Leibenster, around the head swim in Clogherhead and got stung and I was wearing a wetsuit.

i had a bad all over sting a few years back and went into anaphylatic shock. I was warned by a medic to either give up sea swimming or get a stinger suit, ie all over swim suit. I got one and got stung on the wrist on its first outing! However the sting being localised was manageable. I think the issue of one piece suits is more than answered by the safety issue. After all, the sea swims are about the swimming...not about your ability to withstand jelly fish stings.
    Wet suits are even more controversial for some people in the sea swims fraternity. I am convinced that wet suits do give you a bouyancy bounce. I swam the Escapge from Ireland swim last year in a triathlon wet suit and easily hung on to a swimmer I know and train with who would normally stuff me. He was in ordinary togs. However this advantage can be handicapped too as mentioned above.

Advertisement