Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lane speeds in pools

Options
  • 01-04-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity am asking this question.

The pool I go to has 3 lanes- slow- medium- fast. I have just started back swimming and have a bit of sciatia so started in slow lane and just progressed in medium today.
    For me slow is relaxing swims- medium is good for about 20/30 lengths and fast is near competition standard.
    In my pool, its seems to be all mixed with up, I had walkers with me today in the medium and one person who could not do a length. Maybe my definition of the 3 speeds is wrong, whats yours ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Yep that’s kinda common in a non controlled pool. Lane swimming etiquette is not well known. Lots of this info out there, http://loneswimmer.com/2011/02/15/lane-swimming-etiquette/

Might need to speak, politely, to the other swimmers regarding using the correct lane. How you describe the slow/medium/fast is about right.

The pool I train in has two lanes each with a sign, slow & fast lane. I'll be in the fast lane (swimming fast!) with the slow lane empty. The amount of times someone would hop into the fast lane just as I'm turning and swim slow is unreal! Please, will please review swimming etiquette :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

okane1 wrote: »
    The pool I train in has two lanes each with a sign, slow & fast lane. I'll be in the fast lane (swimming fast!) with the slow lane empty. The amount of times someone would hop into the fast lane just as I'm turning and swim slow is unreal! Please, will please review swimming etiquette :)

Perfect time to start your butterfly set taking extra care to swim close to the middle of the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I think I will print that link and hand it out to anybody who gets into a lane with me- can u imagine !!

I spoke with one of the staff today after I had another walker ( they seem to follow me)and 2 more people who can't do lengths. There was a guy in the fast lane and he was looking at me with frustration as he had a few in his lane as well. Interesting to see if anything is done. Its frustrating as I paid to join a gym and only want to use the pool,its like having to share a threadmill with someone and you end up going at their pace- Am turning into a right ole moan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Perfect time to start your butterfly set taking extra care to swim close to the middle of the lane.

Good idea, might do that the next time. Its just so annoying if your in the middle of a tough set and some1 just hops in with out checking the pace and ruins the set. Sometimes I just get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Would suggest you NOT say anything to the other swimmers.
    This is what you are paying your dues for.

Get the names of the guys on the pool and speak to management. Let them know that any injuries that result is their responsibility but as it stands you and a few others are seriously considering cancelling your memberships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

Taltos wrote: »
    Would suggest you NOT say anything to the other swimmers.

Why would you suggest not trying to have a word with them? It's always worked for me (I'm not exactly Iain Thorpe but have always found most people to be quite willing to move and also mostly unaware of the etiquette). Most gyms should have a guide on the wall though, so have a look at it, make sure it clearly states what level should be in the fast lane and simply draw their attention to it. The odd time you'll get a stubborn so-and-so who'll not want to move, but I've always found a quiet word is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

cassid wrote: »
    For me slow is relaxing swims- medium is good for about 20/30 lengths and fast is near competition standard.
    In my pool, its seems to be all mixed with up, I had walkers with me today in the medium and one person who could not do a length. Maybe my definition of the 3 speeds is wrong, whats yours ?

The one I used to use has a gym attached to it and is three lanes as well, while the lanes are wide enough for you to overtake, I had the same problem in the medium lane with walkers and people going slow in front of you. As well as this alot of people used to pop in from the gym and use it like it was a jacuzzi. Needless to say I got fed up and stopped going there.

Advertisement