Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private swimming lessons- advice.

Options
  • 08-04-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi guys, just looking for some advice!

I was thinking of giving private swimming lessons to make a few bob, has anyone here done this? I'm not a qualified swim teacher, but I am a qualified RLSS lifeguard, I've been swimming forever, and I love it.

The pool I'm working at at the moment is a hotel pool, and they have no interest in doing swimming lessons. However, I get loads of adults, particularly over 50, coming into the centre asking if we give one to one swimming lessons, and it set me thinking.

D'ya think it would be possible to do this in public pools, on a one-to-one basis? Any advice/suggestions/criticism appreciated!:p

Also, can anyone let me know if anywhere if the Cork area does swim teacher training courses? Coming up a blank on the interweb..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Best bet is to get yourself covered first. It'll cost a couple of hundred bucks, but check out the swim irlend site e-mail them and ask about getting your swim teachers done, indemnity insurance can be pretty handy if your working with older people, they learn slower than kids, so be patient with them, and let them know it may take some time. Get your Assistant swim teacher and level two teacher done, then you're good to go. Irish water safety have a similar qualification might be cheaper if you can find one. Alternative to that is to just take them on as one to one levels for cash, don't get carried away or cowen's lot'll find ya, and be safe, any injury could lead to legalities, and duties of care and such. Some pools don't really like people just rockin up and teaching during an open session, so chose your venue carefully. Hotel pools generally won't notice much, but beware of council run or health club pools, they won't be enthusiastic at all. Some clubs do pay coaches, worth checking out the local ones once you're qualified....

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I'd go with Hippie on this and go for your teachers certs - if you have a bit of time or a free week when there's a course on it's well worthwhile and it would help you give more value to your potentil customers - and you'd have insurance with swim ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably go for the certs alright, just to be covered and have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Only thing is, the only course up on the Swim Ireland website in Cork is on in the middle of my college exams:( So guess I'll just have to wait until next time.

Does anybody have any idea of roughly how much the Level 1 Swim teacher course costs? I emailed Mayfield Leisure Centre (who do the course here), but they haven't emailed back.

Thanks again.:p

level one set me back about 300, but that was with the local swimming club, who get a good rate anyway, and I got work to pay for it, level 2 is about twice that, but is a very good course. Try contacting swim Ireland directly, as far as I know, there are courses run pretty regularly if you are prepared to travel an hour or two, you'll definitely find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭swimforever

If you ring Mayfield Pool you may get a quicker answer-I do know that the course there is one of the more expensive around though (the person running the course can charge as much as they want so it's worth checking around). Another place that I know that does them is Fermoy Pool and I know that they're cheaper but I'm not sure by how much (dunno if it will balance out anyway with the travel time and cost of petrol!!). I'm not sure of anywhere else in Cork that does them but if you can't find out from Swim Ireland then just try ringing around the different pools, they'll be able to give you more info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

Fermoy's not too far with d'motorway now so I'll give them a shout tomorrow, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Bishopstown or the Gus heany pool would probably be an alternative to Mayfield. Not sure if either of these pools still doing teachers courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Hi Guys,

Can anybody help and point me in the right direction for getting private swimming lessons in the Dublin area, I will be moving to the Stillorgan area in the near future and I am wondering what my options would be.

I am thinking about joining Glenalbyn Swimming pool, does anybody have any experience with this swimming pool? Would they be able to help in finding a private coach?

Any information would be great

ps The coach doesn't have to be in the Stillorgan area:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I swim twice a week in Glenalbyn. Nice long 33m lanes (I'm up to a mile twice a week now; Yay me!) but a little worn looking around the edges.
    Its not necessary to join as its a council pool; only 4:70 a swim when you buy 10.
    They do run classes of course & I've seen the occasional 1:1 during public swims but they're unofficial I'm sure.

Try the Mespill on Sussex road look for Bart, he used to be a coach for Glenalbyn, he knows his stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 dineel

Hey,I'm looking for a swimming instructor for one on one swimming lessons in Cork..I live in West Cork but work outside the city so would go city if no one available in West Cork after working hours, Problem is I'm not scared of water but very scared of letting go of floats and managing on my own, Had a scare as a child and can't seem to shake it..Anyways am looking for a very patient person to assist and obviously in recessionary times value for money will be a factor..I'm not a member of any pool or gym at the moment. Would really love to be able to swim and would be delighted if I could get there eventually..so if you know of anyone or maybe are an instructor yourself, please let me know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 finners10

Hi guys, I'm looking for a swim tutor for two on one lessons, for my friend and I. We are both beginners and are very eager to learn! Looking for lessons in North Dublin Area or Dublin West. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

finners10 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking for a swim tutor for two on one lessons, for my friend and I. We are both beginners and are very eager to learn! Looking for lessons in North Dublin Area or Dublin West. Thanks

Hi there i'm also looking for teacher for 1to1 lessons i'm an improver living in dublin south west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ninnyninball

Hi I am also interested in private swimming lessosn in north Dublin if anyone has any suggestions.

It would be greatly appreciated.

THanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 80leizhang

http://www.mardykearena.com/swimteachersqualification.cfm

Alancork please have a look this

any problems ,or any more i can do ,let me know please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 80leizhang

Name: Mr. Lei Zhang
    Nationality: Chinese
    Date of Birth: 06/07/1980

Educational Background
     2001 – Graduated from China Pharmaceutical University
    Employment History
     2003 – 2009– Westwood Swim Club, Clontarf, Dublin 3.
    Swimming/ Pool Experience
     10 years experience in swimming instruction, lifeguarding, and related activities

 Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (All courses done in accordance with Swim Ireland)
    Knowledge of:
     Certificate in Pool Lifeguard number 475Z
     Level 1 Certificate for Teaching Swimming award number 16298
     Level 2 Certificate for Teaching Swimming award number 16298
     Certificate of Aquafit award number 16298
     Adult Development Programme to Regulate Swimming Teaching in Ireland
     Certificate of Attendance for Child Protection in Sport Awareness Protection (Irish Sport Council)
     IASA International Club Coach Certificate
     Considerable ability to:
     Effectively train and supervise assigned personnel
     Plan, organise, implement, and oversee a recreational acquatics program
     Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including children

Insurance with Swim Ireland

email :zl13066642464@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cocunutkid

Im a fully qualified and insured teacher if ye are still looking for private lessons.....reasonable rates. I am based in Louth but would be able to travel to Dublin. If you are interested email me at cool_kid0018@hotmail.com

Advertisement