Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicking

Options
  • 21-08-2007 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Okay, first legitimate post.

How important is kicking over long distances? I've seen guys in the pool lashing out fast lengths and under the water they all look really different. I saw one guy who i'd say kicked his legs 7 or 8 times in one length, yet he was flying along, really smooth and cracking out 15-20 lengths at a time. Then a guy i saw absolutely milling along today in the pool was kicking pretty hard (but no splashing). He wasn't just doing 1 or 2 lengths at a time either-he was doing 15-20 at a time too.

me, i don't really kick that much. I've always had a weak kick and i think it truly is my downfall. But is it really that important for propulsion? I've heard differing opinions on this and I'd like to hear some others.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Your legs should always be kicking, it's integral to the stroke - be it like the clappers or like little beats. Are you sure the smooth guy you were watching was using his legs very subtly?

Roughly power comes from 80% arms 20% legs - more 90/10 for longer distances.

On 50s, 100s and 200s i'd kick harder

Over longer distances i'd find i am kicking lightly - that's not to say i'm not using my legs. If i used my legs over longer distances like the shorter distances i'd be nackered in no time. But if i need to hammer it at the end of a distance - i'll be kicking.

Finding how your legs work best for you over different distances is a matter of practice, feedback and asking questions. Do you train with a group - can you ask someone to have a look at your technique, give suggestions.

Have you tried using a float and working legs only into your training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I was doing legs only for a while, but as it's come closer and closer to the triathlon (this saturday!) i've concentrating on building up the distance rather than drilling. I was drilling for a good while with a board, but found that i felt unbalanced with the board and my legs were sitting lower in the water so I was doing lengths without the board and found that much better (just my hands out infront of me). I also spent a while doing vertical kicking, but it was hard to get space to do this as i was using the Markievicz pool and it was always mental busy when i was there. Now i'm using the TCD pool and it's much more quiet so drilling and vertical kicking would be easier.

What's your opinion on the benefits of vertical kicking? I've also been stretching my ankles - kneeling on them for about 2-3 minutes at a time. I can get them just shy of parallel with my shins if i sit down with my legs out straight in front of me and point my toes out in front of me. I think they're still very stiff though from running.

I got a number for a swim coach off someone on the forums here and i'm gonna give her a call this week to organise a few sessions. My next triathlon is at the end of September so hopefully she'll be able to improve me a bit before that.

I was going to buy fins a while ago but couldn't get my size anywhere and that idea kinda just slipped outta my mind. Any opinions on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Never tried vertical kicking or fins i'm afraid. Must give them a whirl sometime

Stiff ankles can be a problem - but don't worry about it and make sure your feet are floppy, thinking about it and trying to point your toes too much can make your feet rigid.

You're right to focus on the distance and good plan with the coaching - you can't beat a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Okay, booked in with the coach there.

Jesus i forgot how expensive triathlons are. At least next year i won't have to outlay cash on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Its only as expensive as you make it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I find that it depends on the distance you're swimming. I kick my legs like crazy on anything up to 200m, but for anything longer I use them a lot less (except near the end of the race). Over longer distances your legs stablise your body more than anything else. Well thats what i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you watch a top class long distance swimmer, someone like Grant Hackett, there legs will be barely moving in a 1500m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Kevski wrote: »
    Over longer distances your legs stablise your body more than anything else. Well thats what i think!

This is pretty true alright. I'm not a big kicker on freestyle at the best of times anyway, and my legs are generally just providing a small amount of forward propulsion, with the rest being balance and control of the centre of gravity.

That said however, I used to train with a girl that could only be described as a machine. Her legs were kicking furiously at all times - and she was a long distance swimmer. It really was amazing to watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Not to parrot bill sweetenham, but legs are underrated.

Get yourself a set of fins, you'll see the potential power of them pins once you start to use them. Do some legs only work with fins it pays off, If you're in a pool that doesn't allow them try this drill:

Start off, deep end treading water 3 minutes, arms and legs]
    after that 2 minutes arms behind back, legs only
    then 2 minutes arms out of the water to wrists
    then 1 minute arms out of the water to elbows

This is tough going but, it will do wonders for your kicking abilities after a few weeks of putting this into your training regime, after 6 weeks, increase the times by 25%, or if you find it too easy (I'll be surprised) but try it in shorts or with a weight in your pocket (Very difficult)

In this drill do not use just breaststroke kick for the arms out of the water drills, use an eggbeater kick, or alternate between the 2 every 30 seconds or so.

For an example of perfect kicking over any distance, watch Micheal Phelps Its the main reason he's winning,
    (Thorpe was at a major advantage with the flippers for feet.)

Advertisement