Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

open water races

• 16-02-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Is there a open water calendar produces by swim ireland or where could i find dates etc of races?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Hi There,

It's broken out by province. I know Leinster probably have the most races in Ireland - with around 27 last season.

It's a bit too early for the OW calendars to be published. Though IIRC someone had a provisional Leinster version early last year.

According to Swim Leinster's Open Sea Page

"
    Calendar Meeting 2011 A 2011 Calendar meeting will take place on Monday 21st February at 7pm in Irishtown Stadium. All clubs holding a race in 2011 must send a representative"

ILDSA also have a good few swims on - though they don't seem to have any 2011 events listed yet.

Don't have any OW info on the other provinces.

If you haven't done the OW swims before - don't worry you don't have to book a place for the majority of them, you just turn up on the day, pay your money and swim.

In the case of the Liffey and the Dun Laoghaire swims entry closes a few weeks before the race and you need to do 4 OW swims that season to qualify (Unless you're an overseas entrant)

Hope this helps

K. Trout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

the post by Killgore Trout sums up the current update on the 2011 OW calendar.
    You can review the 2010 calender on the below link, most swims will be on again.
    http://www.swimireland.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=642&Itemid=195

There was a second file sent out with more regional events, cant find it.

Also look at this site for even more OW swimming info
    http://www.ildsa.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Triptych

Good timing OP, I was just wondering about this.

Basically, as someone who is probably looking at a long term back injury that likely to curtail any cycling or runnning for the year i was wondering about throwing myself into swimming. So I have two major questions

1. are there many of these races in the west of Ireland?

2. can you wear a wetsuit?

I suppose the wetsuit issue is perhaps the most significant in that I wouldn't fancy myself without the added buoyancy, plus the fact that any kicking aggravates my back. I'd also be curious as to how competitve they are. Do they cater for all paces?:D

lots of questions, so many thanks in advance.

Triptych wrote: »

1. are there many of these races in the west of Ireland?

2. can you wear a wetsuit?

Where in the West are you from? I'm living in Kerry and last year I started OP swimming (750m - 5km). There were plenty of races, or rather events, on in Kerry, some can be found on http://www.nualamoore.com/
    Same story in Cork and as I said above, I had a second document with a more regional scope on it but cant fecken find it.

You can wear a wetsuit on about 95% of the races. Some events held by the Limerick masters ban wetsuits. I did 7 races last yr and most people wore wetsuits. No1 cares, we are more interested in growing the sport rather than turning people away.

Competitive! Every1 who finishes is the winner. There are fast, medium and slow swimmers, but every1 is welcome once you can swim and are not putting yourself in harms way. There is always good safe cover at the events, but in my experience, nearly all finish.
    Best thing, is do 1 and you will become hooked. Its a great feeling been in the middle of the vast ocean. No1 will judge you on your speed, sure these be endurance events!!
    Anymore questions, ask away :)

Thanks okane, I'm based up in mayo. I guess Sligo and Galway would probably be where I'm likely to find some OW swims.

It probably a bit too early in the year for stuff be publicised but I'll keep an eye out. the distances (750m-5k) you mentioned seem doable so I take them as targets for the moment.

thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Swim Ireland and Corrib swimming club organise the Salthill Sea race. starts from Grattan beach road to Blackrock diving tower, also Vibes and scribes have the Cork Lee swim, and the Edge sports sponsor "Around the rock" in Sandycove Island Kinsale....

You have to be registered and insured with a swim club to swim in these races. You can swim with a wetsuit for the Sandycove Island race, Galway you can with a wetsuit but won't be place where you come in race. The Lee swim I think you can swim with a wetsuit.

The Sandycove&Galway swims are lovely, and with all sea races are well run.....

Triptych wrote: »
    Thanks okane, I'm based up in mayo. I guess Sligo and Galway would probably be where I'm likely to find some OW swims.

It probably a bit too early in the year for stuff be publicised but I'll keep an eye out. the distances (750m-5k) you mentioned seem doable so I take them as targets for the moment.

thanks again.

There was a Clew Bay 10km swim last July, might be one again this year.
    http://www.ildsa.info/events/1-swim-events/4-grainne-uaile-

Cheers for the info. Seems to be a fast growing area. Salthill swim will be a definite target as I'm from Galway. Clew Bay would be fantastic but I'd question my capacity for the distance. Still, it's something to aim at:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Trip there was a swim from rosses point to the lighthouse and another from there to strandhill in sligo but it was very informal only a few invited etc. I am sure they will grow though so keep an eye out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

http://www.wix.com/warriorofthesea/warrior-of-the-sea

That's open already. Great event.

The lighthouse one isn't going to run again due to safety concerns.

• Advertisement

promethius wrote: »
    http://www.wix.com/warriorofthesea/warrior-of-the-sea

That's open already. Great event.

The lighthouse one isn't going to run again due to safety concerns.

Looks good. Did you do it last year? What was the craic with wetsuits? Did many wear them?

i did indeed, wetsuits were a requirement for safety: floatation and also for staving off hypothermia with the slowest swimmers out the guts of 3 hrs or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

promethius wrote: »
    i did indeed, wetsuits were a requirement for safety: floatation and also for staving off hypothermia with the slowest swimmers out the guts of 3 hrs or so.

How many people did that last year? it looks like only a lil over 20 according to the 'history' section on the website...which i presume means results. Is it a 6k race? with the winner doing it in 1:20ish :O

airscotty wrote: »
    How many people did that last year? it looks like only a lil over 20 according to the 'history' section on the website...which i presume means results. Is it a 6k race? with the winner doing it in 1:20ish :O

Yes that's right, it's being expanded this year, were some quick swimmers in there alright. It's 6km, tides and currents do of course come into play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chicofuentes

Corrib do sea swims every Thurs evening starting in June sometime for about 10 weeks. Generally 1300m swim , wetsuits frowned upon, handicapped race, start and finishing at blackrock tower....

there was a wet suit category when i was doing it the summer before last, most are in skin but wouldn't be put off taking part if you don't feel like dropping the wetsuit.

Advertisement