Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swim coach.

Options
  • 23-11-2007 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey can anyone recommend a swim coach. I'm looking to do a few Triathlons next year I do a good bit of running and the bike I'm comforatable enough with.

My swim is bad I struggle to do 4 lengths in a row. I'm pretty sure it's just my breathing that is the problem. I went on to Triathlon Ireland and saw some coaches there but they seem to be more elite based. I was really just looking to complete a Triathlon. Don't think I need anyone to teach me how to run or cycle if I'm just looking to complete one.

Any suggestions? Ideally someone cheap that isn't going to tell me they need to see me every week for the next 6 months and they cost 100 yo yo's a go!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Where are you based? Try looking for someone who labels themselves as a swim teacher rather than a swim coach? Most pools have someone giving adult 1-to-1 lessons. Don't hold me to it but I would expect to pay roughtly 30 euro for a half an hour and a couple of lessons to start with should get you going and then maybe go back for a few more pointers when you get better?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭secman

Where are you based, I did triathlons in a previous life and i found best thing is to join a local swim club, preferably a Masters club. Beieve you me they cater for ALL levels . It will bring you on a ton.I gave up triathlons many moons ago but still at the swimming and running.

Yours
    secman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Secman, I see where you are going but I'm not sure a masters class (regardless of the variation in standards) is where someone who struggles with 100-200m needs should be. I would still think a couple of lessons would be of more use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭secman

Masters meaning a vets swimming club, thats how I started, remember it well, scared ****less of the deep end..... then doing 4 lenghts without stopping, then 10.. then 20 . They cater for all levels. There is usually a slow lane and its slow. These clubs are crying out for members. Within a year I was doing open water sea swims on average a mile long. Still doing them 18 years later.

Try one

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Masters meaning a vets swimming club, thats how I started, remember it well, scared ****less of the deep end..... then doing 4 lenghts without stopping, then 10.. then 20 . They cater for all levels. There is usually a slow lane and its slow.
    Kingdom Masters have the same set-up, I also think the OP should look into it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement