Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to lose a gut

Options
  • 02-12-2007 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

can anyone suggest how much swimming i should be doing?

it will be in the JJB pool starting tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

McSween wrote: »
    can anyone suggest how much swimming i should be doing?

it will be in the JJB pool starting tomorrow

Swimming has loads of benefits but I personally don't think it's particularly great for working off weight, and most other swimmers I know think similar. It can't hurt to try, and others on this forum have been quite successful in losing a considerable amount of weight with swimming.

Cycling, walking and weights and the right diet would be what I feel help get rid of the excess weight - of course swimming is also mixed in there throughout the whole week.

If you want to look at it in terms of calories in vs calories out - you'd burn around 900 Kcal Swimming 3200M in an hour (source- http://swimming.about.com/od/swimworkouts/a/swim_benefit.htm).

If you have a look at the stickies on weight loss and nutrition in the rec -> fitness forum. Also nutrition and diet (under Rec -> food & drink) - they're pretty helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I could never lose weight from swimming. Firstly because I'm always starving after a swim. even if I only got 1km and secondly because if I want to do most of my swimming outdoors, I'll need the insulation (or to move to Florida).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Swimming kicks the crap out of fat i was 18st am now 11st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Steyr wrote: »
    Swimming kicks the crap out of fat i was 18st am now 11st.
    How long did that take you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

If you spend a few hours a day at it, It'll show results pretty quickly, But it is still a gradual thing, 18st to 11st ? are you havin a laugh, That took a change of diet and lifestyle and the rest.

As the weight starts to shift off, do some other Aerobic work, cycling or jogging or rowing as well, It'll speed things up if the results aren't fast enough for you.

• Advertisement

random wrote: »
    How long did that take you?

Over 6months, swimming for 1.5hrs a day for 6 days. 25M pool. still at it.:D

If you spend a few hours a day at it, It'll show results pretty quickly, But it is still a gradual thing, 18st to 11st ? are you havin a laugh, That took a change of diet and lifestyle and the rest.

Drink 1.5l of Volvic when i get up. 1.5l Volvic during training and 1.5l Volvic before i sleep, i still pig out, dont use supplements or any sheite like that, just dont really eat after 8pm.

*I love Volvic.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

As the other posters said, diet is by far the most important thing.
    For starters cut out white bread and eating after 8/9 P.M.
    Try to cut out as much alcohol as possible.
    Try to eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours, this keeps your metabolism working harder.

Swimming's a great exercise and it will get rid of weight.
    Treadmill / Cycling / Rowing machines and weight training would probably be more effective but the key is to just start doing some sort of exercise.
    Aim for at least 3 sessions a week, after 2-3 weeks it'll become alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Steyr wrote: »
    Drink 1.5l of Volvic when i get up. 1.5l Volvic during training and 1.5l Volvic before i sleep, i still pig out, dont use supplements or any sheite like that, just dont really eat after 8pm.

*I love Volvic.:)

Fair play to you buddy, I reckon 11st is enough, scale it back to maintainance though, Unless your only 5 foot????
    I know that a lot can be accomplished, I was 19.5st and going to pot altogether till 3 weeks ago, Doc told me sort it out, or get used to his waiting room. Been swimming 16km a week and 30km on cross-trainer, have food cut down to small meals 5 times daily, last at 6pm and I'm havin to drink about 4L a day just to flush **** out.
    I've knocked off 12lbs and energy levels are up, So don't get me wrong, I believe you, but those 1st 3 weeks were tough, especially when I had to give up the fags and booze at the same time. The triple whammy.
    Best of Luck

Advertisement