Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Coach??

Options
  • 05-09-2007 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Does anyonn know where I can contact a good swim coach. Im training for a triathlon and seem to be at a stanstill with my swimming, cant go under 30/31mins for 1500 in the pool. I know that my stroke and technique are crap so Im looking for a coach. Problem is I swim in my gym (Toal fitness Sandyford) and I cant imagine the in house coaches will be good enough.

So where can I go for swim lessons/ a coach??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

No Masters clubs nearby? Could be chaeper than 1 on 1 coaching, plus other swimmers could help point out the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I think Glenalbyn pool is near enough to Sandyford, you could try there.

http://www.glenalbyn.ie/swimming_pool.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Yes I was thinking about Genalbyn -

Few Question about masters swims - What sort of pace would they go at?
    I have a feeling I would be dropped failry quickly?Or are there differnt levels/ speeds?

Strokes - Are all sets done freestyle?Im terriblke at anything else
    Drill Work - Are there any drills in the masters swims

Thanks for the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

If the NAC is an option then I'd reckon (don't know from experience) that they should have a few good coaches (1-1 sessions).

Being a member of NAC makes those lessons a little cheaper btw.

trinewbie wrote:
    Yes I was thinking about Genalbyn -

Few Question about masters swims - What sort of pace would they go at?
    I have a feeling I would be dropped failry quickly?Or are there differnt levels/ speeds?

Strokes - Are all sets done freestyle?Im terriblke at anything else
    Drill Work - Are there any drills in the masters swims

Thanks for the responses

Pace: 30 Minutes for 1500M. So that's 15*100M on 2 Minutes. So you'd easily be able to get 2000M into a 45 minute session. I wouldn't worry about being left behind. Besides there's going to be different lanes for different levels.

Also don't be worried about training with people who are better than you - it's the best way to get better yourself. Get dragged along so to speak. That's what's happened to me in the last year and a half.

Stroke: The guys I train with generally do front crawl except for swim down (maybe 200-300M) - where you can do whatever you like. My other strokes are a disaster area.

Drills - Can't speak for everyone, but every club i've seen do drills (400M warm-up, 2*200M, 8*100 , etc. etc.). This is where you're going to get the time per 100M down and improve your overall pace. Which will contribute to your 1500M and also stops you getting bored - enabling you to train more!

You'd pay for a load of masters club swims (if thye do PAYG or subs) for what you'd pay for one hour coaching. Go and check out a few clubs - have a chat with the coach, and swimmers - you'll find one that suits you and you will feel the benefit. It'll also give you ideas for how to train when you're using your gym pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Thanks for the response -

I assume masters swims have a coach on hand and itsnot just a group of like minded swimmers?

Sorry for the naive response!

Yup, most masters clubs have a coach.

No apologies necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wayne1

trinewbie wrote:
    Does anyonn know where I can contact a good swim coach. Im training for a triathlon and seem to be at a stanstill with my swimming, cant go under 30/31mins for 1500 in the pool. I know that my stroke and technique are crap so Im looking for a coach. Problem is I swim in my gym (Toal fitness Sandyford) and I cant imagine the in house coaches will be good enough.

So where can I go for swim lessons/ a coach??
    This guy is very
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=a4cmrMJul1g:D

Advertisement