Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bull Island to Sutton

Options
  • 16-06-2020 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Have a few swims along the Bull wall under my belt but still would not be massively comfortable. Am thinking of parking up in Sutton, running around the coast to the end of Bull Island and swimming across to Sutton. Would be with someone else and have a dry bag/float for runners etc

Anyone do this? Anything to watch or for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

Like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Oh Gawd, I've never swam that and don't know anyone who has. I know the area is popular with paddle board guys so maybe ask them about currents.

900m isn't a huge swim, if you're used to that distance but you said you weren't massively comfortable down on the Bull Wall which tbh is a pretty hand swim, ie you're swimming parallel to the wall so my immediate thoughts to this swim would be currents and sighting. Another concern for me regarding your mentioned comfort level, would you be comfortable swimming 900m after a run, even in company?

My thing with swimming is to keep the margins for error wide because they can narrow very quickly and you've no life guard stations down that area.

I'll be interested in hearing how that goes, it looks like it could be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Like this

Tide gets very strong there, I'd recommend doing it between an hour before and an hour after tide change when will be weakest.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

Danielle Ancient Multiplex,

Thanks for this. Will actually check it out re. sighting and hopefully meet some of the paddle board guys. Great suggestion.

So the Garmin records my Bull wall swims between 500m and 1.5km (but it seems less compared to running distance) so distance-wise I am OK. As you say Bull wall is a handy swim because I know I am never far from the wall. Was there again this morning and confidence is growing still. Think I want to get a bit more into open water (to loose the safety net of the wall) without risking too much so 900m seems a safer challenging start. Hear you on keeping the margins of error low so will try and ask those in that area.

Personally, there's no better feeling that jumping in after a run, love it. All of my recent swims were after 7km/11km runs.

I'll post up how it went if/when we do it.

thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
    Oh Gawd, I've never swam that and don't know anyone who has. I know the area is popular with paddle board guys so maybe ask them about currents.

900m isn't a huge swim, if you're used to that distance but you said you weren't massively comfortable down on the Bull Wall which tbh is a pretty hand swim, ie you're swimming parallel to the wall so my immediate thoughts to this swim would be currents and sighting. Another concern for me regarding your mentioned comfort level, would you be comfortable swimming 900m after a run, even in company?

My thing with swimming is to keep the margins for error wide because they can narrow very quickly and you've no life guard stations down that area.

I'll be interested in hearing how that goes, it looks like it could be fun.

Atlantic Dawn,

Great info - thank you very much.
    Tide gets very strong there, I'd recommend doing it between an hour before and an hour after tide change when will be weakest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A nice run swim would be park at the Martello Tower end of Portmarnock beach, run to the south beach where there's a warning sign not to go any further (I can't remember the wording) and swim from there back to the tower. Again you'd want to be getting the tides right.

Done something similar but got out of the water at the south end and ran in my soaking wet shorts to the Golf Links Road car park and boy Jesus I'll never make that mistake again. I hadn't thought about the sand which would be left in my swimming shorts!. The chub-rub I suffered was incredible, got infected and kept of out of the water and running for a month lol

Anyway back to your run and swim. You likely passed by Pure Magic in Clontarf (next door to Bay), I think they give paddle board lessons where you propose to swim so that would be my first port of call for advice regarding tides and currents. I'm interested in seeing how you get along, best of luck with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement