Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2018, 21:28   #1
Gael23

GEM 2:1 requirement

I didn’t get a 2:1 in my undergraduate degree but got accepted into a masters and got a 2:1 in that.
How would this look in terms of GEMS application?
Advertisement
26-08-2018, 14:22   #2
Celestial12

Unless they make a change, you're not eligible for GEM in Ireland. I think some of the UK universities may make allowances for those who have masters if you're happy to move abroad. Ulster University are starting a GEM course next year, it might be worth sending them an email to ask if you would be eligible for their course based on a 2.1 masters.

For Ireland, your best bet may be the mature medicine route. You'll need to sit the HPAT (mature applicants don't need to do well) and apply via CAO. Having two degrees already will give you an edge over others. Work on your personal statement, and if you can, get some experience shadowing a GP or something along those lines. Best of luck.
26-08-2018, 16:02   #3
Gael23

Do you know anything about the financial side of mature entry over GEM? It looks to take a year longer.
26-08-2018, 16:17   #4
Celestial12

RCSI is 16k a year, so it works out more expensive than GEM. Trinity charges about 8.5k a year, so it would cost less than GEM - but it takes a year longer. Not sure what the fees are for UCD, NUIG or UCC.
05-10-2018, 07:50   #5
sue97

I would talk to the OU, you may be able to take some of your modules and combine these with some other courses to do an Open Degree and get 2.1. I did this with a degree I took in the past. PM if you want more details.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion