Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France dos and dont s

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Folks afew weeks back somedody put up a link to a website that calculates the cost of tolls in Fance between point A and B,,,ive one a search and cant find it,,,so if anyone can stear me in the right diretion would be great,,,

I was talking to a buddy of mine last night and he is just back from France and he was telling me about ne toll that cost him 79.80 on the way into Paris,,,,SO I WANT TO STAY WELL CLEAR OF THAT ONE,,,,,,:) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

elaverty wrote: »
    Folks afew weeks back somedody put up a link to a website that calculates the cost of tolls in Fance between point A and B,,,ive one a search and cant find it,,,so if anyone can stear me in the right diretion would be great,,,

I was talking to a buddy of mine last night and he is just back from France and he was telling me about ne toll that cost him 79.80 on the way into Paris,,,,SO I WANT TO STAY WELL CLEAR OF THAT ONE,,,,,,:) :)

Is this the link ?

http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.htm?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

If when using VIAMICHELIN you select car/caravan (class 2 toll, the same as a camper), in 'more options', it will show the correct toll for the route selected. Also select 'sedan' or 'luxury' for Type of Car and the projected fuel requirement will be reasonably close to what can be expected from a camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Thats the one thanks,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

he was telling me about ne toll that cost him 79.80 on the way into Paris

Toll rates are mental the guide is here, http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/Preparatives/ASFA_-_Key_Rates_-_2011_UK_-_WEB.pdf

Under 3.5 ton is Class 2, over 3.5 ton is Class 3 same as a coach!!

A gps with 'avoid tolls' routing could pay for itself in one toll.

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    Under 3.5 ton is Class 2, over 3.5 ton is Class 3 same as a coach!!

A gps with 'avoid tolls' routing could pay for itself in one toll.

Strictly speaking correct, but over 3.5t (particularly if the basic spec is 3.5t and yours is an uprated GVW) if you 'look' like under 3.5t for example if there is only a single wheel, single axle set up at the rear class 2 is the usual charge and if higher class is being charged use the phrase "nous sommes le camping-car de classe deux péages s'il vous plaît" which translates to " we are a camping-car, class 2 toll please".
    The above bit of French is particularly useful to get the rate changed over the intercom at an unmanned exit if the machine is demanding a higher toll.

Apart from weight there is also a height element, even if you are under 3.5t BUT your height is over 3M (a particularly high overcab) sometimes you will have to argue your way out of a class 3 toll.

See http://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/classification-des-vehicules.htm for the official rates

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dont breakdown or run out of fuel on the bridge near Nantes.

http://www.layte.com/biketripphotos/france1pics/29-St-Nazaire.html

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

just unloading the van after this years trip the weather let us down a bit but it wasnt all bad,one or two small disasters all of my own making but a very enjoyable trip wish we had a bit more time,the french have it down to a tee its so easy to use a moterhome over their
    the gps download from this site http://www.i-campingcar.fr/aires/accueil.htm was invaluable, simply open the poi function on the garmin and up pop all the airs within 50km,we just went to the book at that stage and had a read as to which airs would suit us and the gps done all the rest,just beaware you still have to follow the local signe in the village or town to find the airs
    dont go to the Palmer airs the new barrier system i just unworkable when its busy with some people queing all night and still not geting on to the air (not me btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

just unloading the van after this years trip the weather let us down a bit but it wasnt all bad,one or two small disasters all of my own making but a very enjoyable trip wish we had a bit more time,the french have it down to a tee its so easy to use a moterhome over their
    the gps download from this site http://www.i-campingcar.fr/aires/accueil.htm was invaluable, simply open the poi function on the garmin and up pop all the airs within 50km,we just went to the book at that stage and had a read as to which airs would suit us and the gps done all the rest,just beaware you still have to follow the local signe in the village or town to find the airs
    dont go to the Palmer airs the new barrier system i just unworkable when its busy with some people queing all night and still not geting on to the air (not me btw)

Killalanerr is right the La Palmyre aire was Chronic when we were there, arrived late and slept outside with 15 other campers. They need to work on the in/out sustem, or put up better instruction.

killalaneer, was that you in a Hobby I spoke to briefly in Atlantique parc? We were the 3 irish campers just in, you were on the rothar checking the place out?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Was at Palmyre Aire a few weeks back (I think all newly upgraded for 83 vans) near wooded area and at beach - no problems encountered and great location - really good area, with very good cycle tracks. Weather was a bit crap alright.

• Advertisement

There are two Aires at La Palmyre.

The one at the port which has no service facilities N45°41'44" W01°11'21"

The other (the one near wooded area), which has service facilities N45°41'00" W01°10'49"

We stayed a night on the one at the port in June of this year and it was full, all 80 odd spaces

Both are pay & display, €8 for 24 hours, if memory serves me right

A nice little earner for the local council, ours take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

@ martin d i have stayed in the Palmyre area many times and agree tis a grand spot,the zoo, bars, restaurants,the beach and the cycle tracks but this year with the new barriers system on the large air not allowing any vans in when you could plainly see their were lots of free spots its just not worth the trouble when its busy (im not going back till i hear its sorted ) we stayed in Atlantique parc for 2 nights (@ mcquill that was me on the bike ;) ) and then moved on to the air in Soubise which is a much nicer spot by the port with hookup and showers for €6.50 per night

............but this year with the new barriers system on the large air not allowing any vans in when you could plainly see their were lots of free spots its just not worth the trouble when its busy...........

'the large aire', is that the one by the forest. I only visited that on on the push bike but can't recall a barrier. We were staying at the one at the port which definitely had no barrier in June.

Advertisement