Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One thing to improve Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sonandheir wrote: »
    Build a pedestrian footbridge over the old railway pillars behind the rowing club. This would direct all the students away from using the salmon weir bridge in front of cathedral and also create a lot more footfall around woodquay which could revitialize the area.

There were a load of good ideas by architecture students that was displayed in gallery space in Tesco shopping centre a few years ago at the galwayopenhouse festival. Tried looking on web for link to these exhibitions bit can't find them. If any one else can find it please post as it would be ideal for broadening the horizons of this thread.

Never going to happen, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Finally open the Solas Galway Picture Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Build a pedestrian footbridge over the old railway pillars behind the rowing club. This would direct all the students away from using the salmon weir bridge in front of cathedral and also create a lot more footfall around woodquay which could revitialize the area.

That absolutely should happen, no excuses why it hasn't already! But also they should extend the Salmon Weir bridge for pedestrians, like they did with Wolfe Tone bridge.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Demolish all the buildings in Salthill and start again.

Seriously who the hell gave planning permission to all the architectural atrocities?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Links234 wrote: »
    That absolutely should happen, no excuses why it hasn't already! But also they should extend the Salmon Weir bridge for pedestrians, like they did with Wolfe Tone bridge.

I am almost certain that there are/were theoretical plans for both of these - but the recession got in the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Eeden wrote: »
    I am almost certain that there are/were theoretical plans for both of these - but the recession got in the way

Always thought it was the CRYC who got in the way...of the one over the railway stacks

Always thought it was the CRYC who got in the way

what's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Eeden wrote: »
    what's that?

Corrib rowing and yacht club I think. Their club house is on the college side. Recall hearing something about objections over potential damage being caused to their members boats moored under the proposed footbridge

Corrib rowing and yacht club I think. Their club house is on the college side. Recall hearing something about objections over potential damage being caused to their members boats moored under the proposed footbridge

Probably right there, I recall something like that, now you say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Relax licensing laws over the whole summer tourist season combined with some kind of outdoor street festival.

Plenty of good ideas here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Relax licensing laws over the whole summer tourist season combined with some kind of outdoor street festival.

Plenty of good ideas here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There were a load of good ideas by architecture students that was displayed in gallery space in Tesco shopping centre a few years ago at the galwayopenhouse festival. Tried looking on web for link to these exhibitions bit can't find them. If any one else can find it please post as it would be ideal for broadening the horizons of this thread.

There are plans to build an new bridge beside the salmon weir bridge and to close the salmon weir bridge to vehicles.

Probably not my first choice of thing to do for Galway if I had to pick one but one I have always though would be a great idea and that is to build a car park for the University on the dyke road and a foot bridge across from it.

Would be a massive help to people commuting to the university, especially from the Headford direction as it would mean avoiding most of the traffic going into the city or over the bridge for people travelling in.

It used to drive me mad every morning travelling in the dyke road and within touching distance of the campus but still having to travel through town to get there or sitting on the bridge looking at all the open space on the dyke road that would make a great car park.

There are plans to build an new bridge beside the salmon weir bridge and to close the salmon weir bridge to vehicles.

Did a bit of searching and found this:

4590787741.jpg

Makes perfect sense and also kinda solves the problems with busses on the town hall side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Part of Kerry has been designated as an international dark sky reserve and it's expected to be a growing tourist market in years to come. It's probably not possible here but something like that in part of Connemara would be nice.

A mad wishlist kind of idea;an observatory and planetarium. I would love to have access to something like that although I can't really think of anywhere in Ireland or the UK that have it, possibly for good reason,but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

Nothing at all,only that it's a bit small really. I was thinking more of a larger space, something to take an hr or so to get around with a nice cafe perhaps. I'm just dreaming really. I'd like some nice New York gallery planted here. :)

Still for such a culturally vibrant city I can't help feeling it lacks somewhere to let average locals engage with that aspect of it's character. By that I mean the plebs like myself rather than the people who have the talent and motivation to get involved in drama or theatre etc.

An expansion of the 091 lab idea could be good too. A community run and based space for learning and creativity. If more people could get into that it could add a new and maybe needed social aspect to the city.

whats the 091 lab area?

its alright i looked it up , did't even know that it was there , great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevin700

Outer bypass

pat25c wrote: »
    its alright i looked it up , did't even know that it was there , great idea

Just to mention, 091 Labs did recently move to a larger building, so I dunno, if you folks want to get involved, now's probably a good time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

mike_ie wrote: »
    Close Supermacs et al at midnight every night. No more drunken crowds till 4am, no more brawling, people would just bugger off home after a night out...

Close Supermacs, full stop.
    Its shyte, very expensive and owned by a greedy owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

If money is no expense, build a Galway subway system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Liven up the whole dock area properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Liven up the whole dock area properly

Agreed, close the road, pave the lot. convert the dock into a marina, lots of bars and restaurants with outdoor seating and maybe some live music.

Would be fantastic, though I've no idea what the hell to do with the traffic - Galway Port Tunnel maybe?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

kevin700 wrote: »
    Outer bypass

Is there even planning for this anymore? I know it got blocked recently due to rare snails or something, is it completely blocked?

Treadhead wrote: »
    Agreed, close the road, pave the lot. convert the dock into a marina, lots of bars and restaurants with outdoor seating and maybe some live music.

Would be fantastic, though I've no idea what the hell to do with the traffic - Galway Port Tunnel maybe?? ;)
    Birroc wrote: »
    Is there even planning for this anymore? I know it got blocked recently due to rare snails or something, is it completely blocked?

Build bypass, snails relocated to french restaurant in marina

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Use the race course for a massive concert, or music festival!

Relocate Pearce Stadium! Complete **** of a place for county football or hurling!

Develope\Intregrate the docks into a social/recreational area, seating, bars, restaurants, tourist zone.

***Edit, just saw that 'threadhead' posted the exact same idea about the docks above; Great minds.....!

Well if the outer bypass was built , it would eliminate a lot of the traffic going through the docks, wasn't a lot of the cie rail yard sold a few years ago, or am I remembering that wrong. I wonder if there is a development plan of some kind for galway ?

Another thing that could conceivably be done is to reopen the prospect hill rail tunnel & link it up to the conamara Greenway using the rail bridge in Woodquay , the exit of which is just across the road from the embankment leading to the bridge , why I'm thinking of the tunnel is if the proposed greenway from sligo to athenry ever gets the go ahead , a cycle/walking path could run alongside the rail line from athenry to Galway & link the whole thing up To the Westport-achill greenway ( which there are plans for anyway). I know the open tunnel could be a draw for anti-social elements at nights , but it could be locked up @ nights , Blue sky thinking maby , but could be done.

Ok the tunnel part couldn't work, just looked it up on Google maps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

pat25c wrote: »
    Ok the tunnel part couldn't work, just looked it up on Google maps

How the Argos/Lidl development ever got the go ahead I will not know
    Stupid city planners

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement